Author Topic: Possible camping weekend near Ashbourne March, April or May 2020.  (Read 8562 times)

I spent a week at Ashbourne heights camping park while pottering with jhonathan notp earlier this year and found it was a nice campsite with plenty of space and access to the Tissington trail. It fire but it does have a room to use in bad weather.
The other campsite is about 3 miles outside Ashbourne along the a52 and does allow fire. It is called common end farm and although I have not visited it looks okay on campsite UK website.
There is some great traffic free cycling and hilly lanes options in the area so I thought I would see if there is any interest in a camping meeting?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Possible camping weekend near Ashbourne March, April or May 2020.
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2019, 05:51:45 pm »
I've stayed at Ashbourne Heights.  I managed to pitch my tent on a patch that ended up approximately two inches underwater, on the dubious basis that it was a bit sheltered from the howling wind by a wall.   :facepalm:

The rec room was good while it was hammering it down, thobut.  And the cleaner gave me a large quantity of paper towel to help dry my stuff in the morning.  Facilities seemed decent.

It's literally right off the Tissington Trail.  The important thing is not to drag your bike up the steps by the bridge to access it, unaware that if you ride a little further there's easy level access.

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2019, 07:12:43 pm »
I didn't notice any earwigs or slugs so that's a plus  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2019, 07:14:09 pm »
I assume they must have drowned...

(Seriously, I'm sure it's fine if you pick the right weather.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:50:21 am »
Oooh, we're organising them early now! Where is Ashbourne?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2019, 11:46:35 am »
Oooh, we're organising them early now! Where is Ashbourne?

On a git of a hill at the bottom of the Tissington Trial.  Bottom end of the Peak District.  About 20km northwest of Derby.

Note that this site is a decent ride uphill from Ashbourne itself.

S2L

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
Ashbourne might well win the prize for congestion Vs size of any town in the country. Traffic is typically horrendous at any time you might want to be awake... roads in and out as as cycling unfriendly as roads can be and basically you have no other option than taking the Tissington trail

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2019, 11:58:37 am »
The trail itself's pretty decent.  Goes all the way to the top at railway gradients (apart from one steep bit where a bridge isn't), decent hardpack, minimum of Silly Sustrans Gates™.  Quite busy with walkers and muggle cyclists at weekends in summer.

S2L

« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:22:36 pm »
The trail itself's pretty decent.  Goes all the way to the top at railway gradients (apart from one steep bit where a bridge isn't), decent hardpack, minimum of Silly Sustrans Gates™.  Quite busy with walkers and muggle cyclists at weekends in summer.

Yes, and maybe you can even use the B road into Ashbourne for a bit of variety and that's pretty much it. As a gateway to the Peak is fine if you drive there, as a town to cycle through is an absolute pig... I'd rather cycle through London

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:26:29 pm »
No convenient stations for Ashbourne though. I cycled there from Derby some years ago, under the guidance of Rower40. Quite some distance.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

S2L

« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:30:07 pm »
If I was to organise something similar, I'd probably be looking at Macclesfield for easy (if dear) access via train.

http://www.jarmanfarm.co.uk/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:34:15 pm »
No convenient stations for Ashbourne though. I cycled there from Derby some years ago, under the guidance of Rower40. Quite some distance.
25km route from cycle.travel. Doesn't seem too far.

S2L

« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:42:31 pm »

That's along the A52...  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »
When I stayed at that site a couple of years ago, I'd ridden from home, approaching Ashbourne on minor roads from the South.  Other than very lumpy geography and traffic congestion I don't remember any drama.  (I did do a couple of passes of the main street, in the hope that one of the outdoor shops might have a non-leaky Camelbak valve - they didn't.)  I've also been through there on the Peak Tunnels Ride and at least one Pie Run, and didn't think it was particularly horrible.

On the other hand, I regularly ride in Birmingham.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2019, 03:25:29 pm »

It's through Sutton on the Hill and Longford. I'd be amazed if cycle.travel routed via the A52.

« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2019, 06:45:57 pm »
I must admit that I was thinking of a Potter up the Tissington trail to pasley hay then taking the high peak trail returning via the sustrans link using a section of the Cassington water trai. I did this circuit with jhonathan notp in a day so it should be quite doable for our usual suspects  :)..

« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:52:56 am »
If you're not yet decided on the campsite, there's the Pudding Room at Carsington Water, I haven't camped there, though the cafe has become a bit of a favourite.
http://www.thepuddingroomderbyshire.co.uk/index.php/6

Puts you on Cycleman's route, 6 miles from Cromford Station, with a good uphill to start, or about 15 from Derby.
If you do ride Derby to Ashbourne, I'd be happy to navigate, the nicest route is North of the A52 and about 16 miles, nearly all on lanes, with a good B road downhill into town.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:17:53 pm »
I know it's early for dates but I'll let you know when the ALC are out over those months to avoid clashes.

March 27th at Wolverley C+CC
April 10th (Easter) at Cheddar C+CC
May 15th Kingsbury C+CC

Will try to make it if my shifts allow  :)

« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2019, 07:06:00 am »
Thanks for the information butterfly   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 06 November, 2019, 06:33:40 pm »
When I stayed at that site a couple of years ago, I'd ridden from home, approaching Ashbourne on minor roads from the South.  Other than very lumpy geography and traffic congestion I don't remember any drama.  (I did do a couple of passes of the main street, in the hope that one of the outdoor shops might have a non-leaky Camelbak valve - they didn't.)  I've also been through there on the Peak Tunnels Ride and at least one Pie Run, and didn't think it was particularly horrible.

On the other hand, I regularly ride in Birmingham.

The road north out of Ashbourne is horrible, especially at the weekend. It's a long, fairly steep climb and the cars are filled with people who want to be having fun, not stuck behind a cyclist who's having the time of their life.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 06 November, 2019, 07:08:13 pm »
That's what the Tissington Trail is for.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #21 on: 06 November, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »
Thanks for the information butterfly   :thumbsup:

I'm not that good looking  :D

« Reply #22 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:20:48 am »
I know it's early for dates but I'll let you know when the ALC are out over those months to avoid clashes.

May 15th Kingsbury C+CC

I think the Fell Club are also at Wolverley on March 27th. Should be an interesting comparison of Lightweight camping kit and techniques  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #23 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:52:17 pm »
I am interested in this.

It's through Sutton on the Hill and Longford. I'd be amazed if cycle.travel routed via the A52.

An alternative would be to get the train to Cromford. Then you have the choice of 13 on-road miles, or 16 miles (10 of which are split between the High Peak trail, the Tissington Trail, with the remaining 6 on lovely, quiet roads).

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cromford/53.0160886,-1.7321646/@53.0611354,-1.6953903,12.29z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x48798bdae5806d05:0xee36326a30cb40bd!2m2!1d-1.5492562!2d53.1129145!1m0!3e1
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:05:37 pm »

May 15th Kingsbury C+CC

I think the Fell Club are also at Wolverley on March 27th. Should be an interesting comparison of Lightweight camping kit and techniques  :)

That'll be fun.

We'll come to Ashbourne if at all possible cycleman xx
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.