Author Topic: NC10 function keys / XP hibernate issues  (Read 718 times)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
NC10 function keys / XP hibernate issues
« on: 16 September, 2011, 06:26:58 pm »
Following on the from the "Should i need a netbook" i have purchased the said device from the most excellent Antpix.

After a bumpy few days having to download Wi-fi drivers etc etc I've got 2 outstandings that are not resolved from some heavy duty googling.

1. Hibernate
It's running a fresh install of XP with SP3 and yet there is no option to have hibernate when the lid is closed. I found a reg hack that displays hibernate as an option when click you Start, but that [along with standby] is greyed out.

2. FN keys
Everyone raves about the function keys but i can't get them to work other than FN6 that controls the loudspeaker. FN-ESC looks to be hibernate but has no effect.
A shitter and a giggler.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: NC10 function keys / XP hibernate issues
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2011, 07:06:29 pm »
Just to check you've checked properly..........

Control Panel - Power Options - Hibernate tab - Enable hibernation.

Control Panel - Power Options - Advanced tab - When I close the lid - doodedoo.

Ensure there's enough space in the Windows XP disk partition for the hibernation memory dump.

Maybe ensure Windows is fully up to date (I'm not sure this could affect hibernation, but you never know what weirdness is happening in Windows).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2011, 07:13:34 pm »
This is the weird thing - there is no hibernate tab. When i click on the

"What do i do when i close the lid" there is but a single option in the drop down list.

I wonder if it's a BIOS setting, but have no idea.
A shitter and a giggler.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »
Have a look all through the BIOS settings anyway.  There might be some fun things in there.  They'll be a notification of which key to press to get into the BIOS during startup.  They might call it "Setup".

From what I see on Google, it does seem possible to hibernate this machine because some users are having it hbernate when they don't want!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2011, 08:26:13 pm »
ah ha - even deeper digging in some very dodgy forums it needed a Video driver upgrade. who'd have thought?
hibernate tab appears, function keys suddenly work, and suddenly it's slightly higher resolution.

i'll no doubt return to this post when i eventually have to re-install from scratch.
A shitter and a giggler.