Author Topic: Lesser known films  (Read 1944 times)

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
Lesser known films
« on: 06 February, 2021, 06:11:08 pm »
Not sure about the title, but it's about films that not many people have heard of but are truly great.
I've just found, after much searching a dvd of "Timecrimes". It's a Spanish film and I've wanted a copy since I first watched it bit couldn't remember the title.
Just got a copy and I'm getting ready for a rather good watch.
Look it up and you might just want a copy yourself. You won't  be disappointed.

Re: Lesser known films
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2021, 06:44:59 pm »
I rave about Timecrimes - it’s very low-budget but it’s great!  It’s all on YouTube as well.

EDIT: I think it might have disappeared - I can't find it now...  ???

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2021, 06:47:07 pm »
Closely Watched Trains

Only seen it once (and some time ago) and remember loving it. Only track-downable many years later courtesy of Mr Google.

I really ought to try watching it again.

It did win an Oscar.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2021, 09:20:47 pm »
The definition of "lesser known" is of course subjective but Closely Observed Trains is quite well known amongst people with an interest in world cinema.

Here's a few good ones:
And Soon the Darkness (1970)
The Reckoning (1970)
Wake in Fright (1971)
Don't Talk to Strange Men (1962)

« Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2021, 09:50:52 pm »
Hubner, I've just looked that one up and will definitely try to find it.  I'm reminded of a period when it seemed every other film on BBC was an Eastern European noir or arty cartoon - and none the worse for that.

The one I'm going to suggest here is not exactly forgotten or obscure but I only saw it a couple of weeks ago, thanks to a version my neighbour had from a charity shop.  It's an Italian film, which won awards, called Cinema Paradiso.  Do you know it?  It stars Philippe Noiret as a projectionist who befriends a boy (a terrific performance from the child-actor) who goes on to be a successful director.  It's a great story but most of all just beautiful to look at.

If you don't like it, I have others..... !

« Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »
Closely Watched Trains

Only seen it once (and some time ago) and remember loving it. Only track-downable many years later courtesy of Mr Google.

It did win an Oscar.

We always knew it as “Closely Observed Trains”.

One we like and have only seen the once, “Amores Perros”.

And another set in South America, “Carandiru”

Plus a Aussie one, “Lantana”, oh and “Jindabyne” too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2021, 11:02:38 am »
A couple of Vietnam war films that don't get spoken about-

The Odd Angry Shot, an Australian film.
The Boys In Comapny C.

Both worth a watch

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:06:00 pm »
Hyenas (1992)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104467/
https://youtu.be/xEsF9RR3FOs

Senegal is not famous for its film industry but it has a couple of fine masters of the art, including the late Djibril Diop Mambéty. Hyenas is his take on the Friedrich Dürrenmatt play The Visit, relocating it to a Senegalese village. I first saw this film when it was in the late night slot on BBC2 some time in the early 90s. It caught my attention because I’d studied The Visit for German A-level and loved it. It works in the Senegalese setting very well, as a metaphor for the country’s political situation at the time, and it’s a beautifully made film.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2021, 06:00:42 pm »
Senegalese interpretation of Dürrenmatt - that's an obscurist's dream.  Well played sir!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
Ooh what a good thread  :thumbsup:

There's one particular film I'd love to track down - and have failed thus far :(

I woke up with insomnia in the early hours circa early 1990s and turned on the already ancient wooden cased 14" Sony Trinitron tele. Then spent one of the most satisfying and engrossing hours of my life.

This was on Channel 4. It was possibly Russian? No dialogue, just scenes shot from a single camera on a tripod in a 2nd floor apartment window, over a period of 24 hours. So the city/town world waking up, street cleaners, people walking to work/the shops/road menders digging holes AND everything throughout the day and night. The best most memorable scene was autumnal leaves dancing beautifully over the cobbles? and dogs behaving suspiciously etc etc etc

My search engine fu is not up to much :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:00:04 pm »
"Amores Perros" is brilliant

"Biutiful" is in my top 3 films of all time

"Land and Freedom" gets a look in

"Repoman" is my go to "weird" film

"Nightwatch" and "Daywatch" are my favourite, little known, vampire films

Probably stop there, I have what most would describe as weird taste in films. My wife usually describes it as that despite her enjoying some of them!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
I liked Nightwatch.
Daywatch just lost the whole point.

Black cat/White cat is hilarious and lovely. Very very odd.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:27:50 pm »
For those that like the spaghetti western genre - Sergio Leone inspired and scored by Ennio Morricone:

"My Name is Nobody" - Corny as hell, but brightens up a lockdown afternoon.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #13 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:39:26 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #14 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:45:51 pm »
Suddenly(1954) with Frank Sinatra as hired killer setting out to kill the US president.

Murder by Contract (1958), story of a seemingly "normal" person (Vince Edwards) wanting to become a contract killer.

Both on Youtube.

« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2021, 07:51:34 pm »
Ooh what a good thread  :thumbsup:

There's one particular film I'd love to track down - and have failed thus far :(

I woke up with insomnia in the early hours circa early 1990s and turned on the already ancient wooden cased 14" Sony Trinitron tele. Then spent one of the most satisfying and engrossing hours of my life.

This was on Channel 4. It was possibly Russian? No dialogue, just scenes shot from a single camera on a tripod in a 2nd floor apartment window, over a period of 24 hours. So the city/town world waking up, street cleaners, people walking to work/the shops/road menders digging holes AND everything throughout the day and night. The best most memorable scene was autumnal leaves dancing beautifully over the cobbles? and dogs behaving suspiciously etc etc etc

My search engine fu is not up to much :(

I found a few films using:
https://www.whatismymovie.com

And you can search by plot description on https://www.imdb.com/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:20:46 pm »
Closely Watched Trains

It did win an Oscar.
Having read the book a couple of years ago, I might try to find that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:46:42 pm »
No te mueras sin decirme adónde vas

= Don't die without telling me where you're going.

Quirky Argentinian film about ghosts, reincarnation and a wistful inventor who lives out of sync with the love of his life.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:53:08 pm »
A couple more, “City of God”, and the later “City of Men”. Oh, and “The Devil’s Backbone”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2021, 06:56:01 pm »
The definition of "lesser known" is of course subjective but Closely Observed Trains is quite well known amongst people with an interest in world cinema.

Here's a few good ones:
And Soon the Darkness (1970)
The Reckoning (1970)
Wake in Fright (1971)
Don't Talk to Strange Men (1962)
"Darkness" was remade a few years ago, and the young women became Yanks rather than Mrs Frank Spencer and mate, and the action transferred from France to Argentina.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i