Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 868446 times)

simonp

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2800 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:46:28 pm »
From SJSC:

1    Jante Velox Rim Cloth Self Adhesive Rim Tape (Wide)
1    Busch & Muller 4D-Lite Plus Mudguard Fitting Rear Dynamo Light with Standlight
1    Burley Standard Forged Hitch
1    Hope Grip Doctor Bar End Plugs
1    Fizik Handlebar Bargel with Microtex Tape - Black
1    Cateye Reflex TL-560 Rear Light
1    Jante Velox Rim Cloth Self Adhesive Rim Tape (Medium)
2    KoolStop Thinline Dual Compound Cantilever Blocks

From Halfords:

1     SRAM PC870 chain
10   zip ties

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2801 on: 06 December, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »
And you don't get sore ears[1] from the pressure like you do with a buff after a couple of hours.

[1] Your ears may vary in rigidity and sticky-outyness.

I thought that was just me!

I had an ex with an adorable little brother (in as much as any 10 year old boy can be adorable, naturally) who had - well, presumably still has - comedy sticky-out but bendy ears.  His party trick was to fold them up and tuck them in, then cause them to pop out at will.  My shock at this naturally lead to a discussion of the rigidity of ears, asking everyone we met how bendy their ears were, etc, and he declared mine to be freakish and stiff.

Still, at least they're symmetrical enough to hang a pair of glasses from.  That would be *really* annoying.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2802 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »
New brakes for the tourer, tubes, pedals, and a chainring for the fixed.

I meant to get some rim tape, but I forgot :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #2803 on: 06 December, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »
Last Friday I ordered a Sealskinz waterproof beanie and an Endura Baa Baa t-shirt, from Rutland Cycles ,after ringing them I got the Sealskinz today (brilliant) but they have to order the Baa Baa in, seems an odd way to do things  :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2804 on: 06 December, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »
A cycling related Christmas present for Mrs Dan. Its a secret, so not telling :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2805 on: 06 December, 2012, 10:25:37 pm »
MT91 boots, as recommended by various of this parish.

I'm currently trying to work out whether they're comfortable or not.

Been wearing them around the house all afternoon with two pairs of thick socks.  Have decided they fit okay, and just need a bit of breaking in.  They're substantially warmer than my usual docs, but I still have cold toes (as is usual for winter).  Will fit cleats and try them on the bike tomorrow.

I've also discovered that this is the critical size for catching your heel on the overhanging bit of the previous step while walking downstairs (DAHIKT).  Wonder how people with big feet manage not to die.

LindaG

« Reply #2806 on: 07 December, 2012, 08:17:27 am »
MT91 boots, as recommended by various of this parish.

I'm currently trying to work out whether they're comfortable or not.

Been wearing them around the house all afternoon with two pairs of thick socks.  Have decided they fit okay, and just need a bit of breaking in.  They're substantially warmer than my usual docs, but I still have cold toes (as is usual for winter).  Will fit cleats and try them on the bike tomorrow.

I've also discovered that this is the critical size for catching your heel on the overhanging bit of the previous step while walking downstairs (DAHIKT).  Wonder how people with big feet manage not to die.
I wore mine on the pubbe run last night. This involved wading through deepish mud and icy puddles. Feet warm and dry throughout. I didn't have winter in mind when I got these boots but I'm glad I got them fer sure.

« Reply #2807 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:27:29 am »
I’ve got some of those boots too. I think they work as well as anything does for someone with Reynauds…

Might have put a deposit down onna Brommie yesterday, although I won’t be seeing it for quite some time.

Chris S

« Reply #2808 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:31:11 am »
I’ve got some of those boots too. I think they work as well as anything does for someone with Reynauds…

Funny you should mention that - as I'm sat here with numb, blue/grey fingers - trying very hard to use a keyboard  :D. I've found donating blood doesn't help the condition much...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2809 on: 07 December, 2012, 11:45:56 am »

Might have put a deposit down onna Brommie yesterday, although I won’t be seeing it for quite some time.

You should stay away from the Internet when you've been drinking! ;)

In case you have actually done the deed, congrats!  I shall be thinking along those lines in the new year (hopefully!).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2810 on: 07 December, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

Funny you should mention that - as I'm sat here with numb, blue/grey fingers - trying very hard to use a keyboard  :D. I've found donating blood doesn't help the condition much...

I thought that was normal until my GP commented that my hands & nails 'shouldn’t really be that colour' on an unrelated visit. Apparently a glass of red wine a day helps!

In case you have actually done the deed, congrats!  I shall be thinking along those lines in the new year (hopefully!).

Wasn't drunk thank you very much, after a period of extensive research, culminating in riding Rob's Brom to work and back, I nipped into Brixton Cycles after work and did the deed.

Will probably have to sell the Gazelle though. I love it to bits but I really can't justify having two 'utility/commuter' bikes. And Brommies aren't cheap.

But ta for the congrats  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2811 on: 07 December, 2012, 03:04:34 pm »

In which case, you may no longer need another small-wheeled bicycle... ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #2812 on: 07 December, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »

??? Pr’ap’s it just Friday brain, but I don’t geddit…?

« Reply #2813 on: 07 December, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »
My new Schwalbe winter 700x30 mildly studded (118 spikes) tyres arrived today from starbike in Germany, only 2 days after I ordered them  :o

http://www.starbike.com/p/Schwalbe-Winter-KevlarGuard-5181-en

They have the same studs in them as the 35mm ones but 2 rows rather than 4 and a less deep tread pattern. Of course they also look significantly narrower. Whilst these may not be as good in actual snow they look like they will do the business on ice which was what I wanted them for. I will need to do the 'wear in' gentle miles on tarmac now  :D

« Reply #2814 on: 07 December, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »

??? Pr’ap’s it just Friday brain, but I don’t geddit…?

He's suggesting that Andrij might not need a Brompton and a Moulton ;). I think clarion feels that he can think of a solution to the conundrum Andrij faces ;D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2815 on: 07 December, 2012, 05:06:22 pm »
Ta Butterfly!

The reason for my confusion was that when Andrij said he was 'thinking along those lines' I thought he meant a new bike generally rather than specifically a Brommie (probably because I know he said in another thread he's yearning for a Pashley...)

I think I need to go home.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2816 on: 07 December, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »
clarion knows how I can fit more (not different) bikes in my flat?!?  Do tell, please!

That's my only bicycle conundrum at the moment.   :)

NSTN, there are a number of bikes I'd like.  For 2013, I'm looking at either a Brompton of something 'gentlemanly'.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2817 on: 07 December, 2012, 06:08:48 pm »
I bought something from Longstaff's earlier in the week.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2818 on: 07 December, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »
I bought something from Longstaff's earlier in the week.
Oooh, sounds exciting. Please do tell. Will there be foties?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2819 on: 07 December, 2012, 06:24:26 pm »
A Xmas present for someone:I don't expect there will piccies.

The purchase was not what Longstaff's are best known for :(

« Reply #2820 on: 07 December, 2012, 06:55:28 pm »
Last night a couple of reflective wristbands as I'm not entirely sure my signals are that visible what with the dark gloves and jersey. Worth a try at £2.45 for a pair (yay eBay, Halfords wanted £4 for a single one).
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2821 on: 08 December, 2012, 10:43:41 pm »
Last night a couple of reflective wristbands as I'm not entirely sure my signals are that visible what with the dark gloves and jersey. Worth a try at £2.45 for a pair (yay eBay, Halfords wanted £4 for a single one).

The best price I've found recently (well a year or two back), was in Decathlon, where they had them £1 for a pair.  I should pop in there and have a look at what cheap stuff they've got in stock currently.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2822 on: 09 December, 2012, 07:59:16 pm »
Manitou Minute Expert hmmm...

« Reply #2823 on: 10 December, 2012, 05:55:55 pm »
I'm slightly impressed that they can rattle around in a rack bag without going off accidentally, tbh, but they do seem to manage it.
That's good to know.  I was wondering if I was going to have to find a small rigid container to put them in (although that may be a good idea anyway, to minimise the risk of abrasive damage etc).

Famous last words.  Today was the first time I had them in my pannier, and one of them triggered during the 12 mile cycle in!  I think I need to find a moderately rigid container for them.  A small Tupperware type container will probably do the job.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2824 on: 10 December, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »
My son 'who doesn't wear cycling clothes' on his bike has asked for Levi commuter jeans and some cycling underwear for Christmas  :o :o
It seems he's been riding 10km time trials at Uni and finding his arse a bit uncomfortable in chinos with a leg rolled up  ;D

Stage 2 will be to convert him to the idea of clipless pedals ....