Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 863744 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5600 on: 29 April, 2019, 01:26:04 pm »
Measure it exactly?  I have a load under the sink.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5601 on: 29 April, 2019, 03:31:31 pm »
Went into Halfrauds and bought a box of them. Happily all working now.

Just a bit bizarre to me that the local shop owners all bang on about important they are for spares and repairs, but in these situations none came through with the goods.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5602 on: 29 April, 2019, 06:50:49 pm »
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCONSCII/continental-sport-contact-ii-700c-wired-tyre

Under a tenner, various sizes. [Do we have a "bargains" thread? Anyway, I've posted it here.]

While you're there, be careful to avoid seeing the most hideous use of the resurrected "Holdsworth" brand yet:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLSP/holdsworth-super-professional-carbon-road-frameset
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5603 on: 30 April, 2019, 03:47:39 pm »
A pair of Bontrager NCS (No Cut Stays) Fenders. Hopefully these will last longer than the SKS bluemels, which always seem to crack at the rear brake bridge.... 

BrianI

« Reply #5604 on: 30 April, 2019, 07:00:44 pm »
A pair of Bontrager NCS (No Cut Stays) Fenders. Hopefully these will last longer than the SKS bluemels, which always seem to crack at the rear brake bridge....

And they dinnae fit due to having somewhat bulky rear bridge and front fork mounting bracket.. while the some headed nuts means it's easy to remove the stainless steel bracket from the mudguard when it comes to recycling the mudguards it certainly doesn't help with the clearance under the fork crown...

essexian

« Reply #5605 on: 02 May, 2019, 03:02:10 pm »
My good lady has been on holiday for a week with her "aged mum."

Thus, so far this week I have purchased a rack and panniers for my summer tour, a new pair of bib shorts and a set of these: "PowerTap DT Swiss R460 Alloy Wheelset inc Wheelbags" from Wiggle.

I am sure the fact I have spent something like £500 this week is nothing to do with her being away....honest.  :thumbsup:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5606 on: 04 May, 2019, 11:10:59 am »
A Park Tool torque key - the variable Nm version - a brand new ebay bargain!     ....  and also on ebay as a Park Tool junkie I acquired a s/s shirt - black, button-down collar, discreet Park logo on the sleeve and a bloody great big one on the back.

Rob

PS: I forgot - to attach my bike rack, I bought a new car on Monday ;D ;D

« Reply #5607 on: 10 May, 2019, 03:07:09 pm »
Put down a deposit on a Brompton all-black edition M6L; it needs a telescopic seatpost ordering in, so should be ready next week sometime. Thought about dyno-lighting but decided USB rechargeables would do me for the present; I might go for a dynowheel come winter.

« Reply #5608 on: 11 May, 2019, 06:55:53 pm »
I'd have y thought dynowheel would make sense right now, because then you're getting it at upgrade prices rather than paying full retail later.

« Reply #5609 on: 11 May, 2019, 09:27:04 pm »
Yeah, but the dynowheel's not a stock item, so it would mean waiting for a custom build and the 8-week wait that would entail. I suppose as a premium dealer it's worth checking again with the shop next week to see if they can get the parts and install them in a reasonable timeframe.

(And if they can't, it's a good excuse to save up for blingier lights than are standard...)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5610 on: 21 May, 2019, 09:28:36 am »
Hit the button on the parts to rebuild the Cruzbike, bored of waiting for the legal process and want to be back on the S40 for my summer touring again.  Front fork, chainstay, seat, handlebars and clamp $600 inc shipping, lets see how much I get stung for on import duties and VAT

Now to decide - do I push the button on a set of disc brakes as well?  The rear is already a centre-lock disc dyno hub, but the front is a standard rim/hub, so either a new wheel or a new hub to build into it, which I don't have time to do right now, so that would be an LBS or off the shelf job. Or do I save that for the winter project?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5611 on: 01 June, 2019, 12:11:30 pm »
I have bought N+1.

I start a new job, on Monday.

To get there is either an hour's drive or 45 minutes on a train then a 2.6 mile bike ride.

Or to put it another way, an outlay of £3k (car) or £300 (bike). No brainer, really.

ETA, Carrera Intercity, in red 'cos its faster!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5612 on: 01 June, 2019, 02:29:06 pm »
Congrats on the new job and bike.

I just ordered a pair of Assos shorts and a jacket from Swiss Iconic. Their ladies' stuff is super bargainacious, for Assos (58 quid for a jacket!) and in chunky girl sizes too :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5613 on: 02 June, 2019, 10:01:45 pm »
Sitting volunteering at Lilleshall on the desk what pops up but this
Price is in Sterling: £65. Last one for a bit, I promise! Pretty sure this is a Gitane Tour de France model from around 1975 (it has the Huret honeycomb dropouts which I think were only used for two or three years about then. Frame is full butted 531 frame, forks and triangle. It has the bernard Carré style willow-leaf seatstay caps and I think it's from the era when Carré was subcontracted by Gitane for their top end frames. But it's also possible that Gitane just carried on with the same design - I'm not sure. Paint and chrome are very tatty - ideally needs and deserves a full restoration. Simplex gears (front derailleur is broken, as usual, but I probably have another I can include. Sugino Mighty chainset is original I think, but unfortunately it has a mismatched left crank. I've got a few Stronglight cranksets from the right era and can supply one for a bit extra). Mafac brakes, naturally. Wheels are Maillard hubs with Mavic Module E clincher rims. That's about it - what you see is what you get. I'm in France but coming back to UK late next week and can arrange to meet or drop off as I wind my way round the country. I'll be coming into Newhaven thursday morning (6th of June), and will be heading to Suffolk/Essex, up to Peterborough and then across to Loughborough, then back down south again either friday evening or saturday. Alternatively, can post within Europe for around 50 euros. 

Somehow I sent a message back and pick it up on Thursday evening. Photos will follow. I suspect I will be looking for a lot of help!

« Reply #5614 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:47:31 am »
New bike arrived. Seems to be a genuine 531 reynolds Gitane tdF in original colouring.  The left hand crank is not original but the crankset is. Unfortunately it is not the strong light but I have also got a spare appropriate stronglight93 crankset.

The front and rear derailleur are made in Plastic which may need upgrading.  Whilst they are original I just do not like the look of them.

Plan at the moment is to start stripping it down and check the frame and get it resprayed by Mercian who are local to me in Derby.  I can then start building it up again.  I will need to look for appropriate bits and pieces remembering that BB and cranks will be French thread.  Also the crank puller is a really odd size apparently and easily stripped.

On the fork crown the chrome seems to be on top of the paint.  Is this how the French did things?

Any views on the wheels. They seem to spin Ok but will need stripping down.  Should I trust 40 year old rims and spokes of just get new?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5615 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:51:01 am »
Didn't buy products but have paid for ferries to France and returning from Spain, and trains from/to Portsmouth, after supporting the Trans-Pyrenean race in October. The outlay is significant (£150).
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5616 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:52:02 am »
Pre-82 Stronglight cranks are 23.35mm threads. Old TA are 23mm and do not use the same crank puller.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phil W

« Reply #5617 on: 08 June, 2019, 11:57:00 am »
New more puncture resistant tyres for the recumbent. Last time I tried a DIY 600 in the Fens I got 9 punctures (and almost ran out of patches) which meant I ran out of time.  Fixing punctures on the recumbent takes longer because it's just so much more awkward to handle when getting wheels on and off.  One less worry for Fenlands Friends in a couple of weeks. Raining at moment, so will be probably fit on patio later or tomorrow when it'll be drier.

« Reply #5618 on: 09 June, 2019, 03:47:05 pm »
This weekend, for mrs ao's steel tourer, I've bought a Shimano 6-speed 14-34t megarange freewheel, freewheel removal tool, 24t stronglight chainring, KMC chain, and UN55 bottom bracket.  Installed, and so now she has a 19" gear, from 27" (28-28).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

BrianI

« Reply #5619 on: 21 June, 2019, 12:42:38 pm »
A new pair of "Audax" tyres for my Audax bike to replace the less than 1,600km Durano Plus with perished / cracked sidewalls and less than 1200 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance with tread peeling off.

Went for the cheap and cheerful option, Bontrager AW1 Hardcase with ye olde worlde wire bead. Ok, so it won't be as plush as high end tyres, but I've had a gutfull of buying expensive "posh" tyres which just don't last...

Certainly heavier (400g) than the pro 4 Endurance, but only 15g heavier than the Durano Double Defense I was also considering. However I've lost faith in Schwalbe since they seem to suffer from premature aging and perishing of the side wall..

So let's see how long these Bontragers last...

--edit -- The Bonty AW1 Hardcases weigh up at 366g and 371g each on the kitchen scales! You can tell I live alone...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5620 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:20:30 pm »
No, but these arrived today :)

IMG_0914 by ian, on Flickr

and a Father's Day present arrived yesterday :) :)

IMG_0916 by ian, on Flickr

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5621 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:24:11 pm »
No, but this arrived today :)

Snap!  my name is in the list of credits at the back, is yours?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5622 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:27:13 pm »
Today , arrived 4 no. Shimano 7 speed cassettes 13 - 28 flavour from SJS , @ £19 a go.   THE best ratios !

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5623 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:27:29 pm »
No, but this arrived today :)

Snap!  my name is in the list of credits at the back, is yours?

It is :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5624 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:41:38 pm »
Lakes, for my big fat wide flippers
2019-06-21_08-37-59 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.