Author Topic: LEL 2021 Route  (Read 41721 times)

Re: LEL2021 - route details
« Reply #125 on: 05 May, 2019, 06:58:28 pm »
That would be good.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #126 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:30:26 am »
I’d suggest heading out of town on the route Pingu posted, but getting to it from the South Side via George IV Bridge / The Mound / Hanover St. / Dundas St. and joining Feanor’s route at Canonmills.

This is exactly the route I thought best and had intended to post. Sending cyclists (even bike pushing pedestrians) down the Royal Mile in August wouldnt be my choice. George IV bridge / Mound crosses it and gives to anyone so inclined the option to go up to the castle and/or down the mile to Parliament

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #127 on: 06 May, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »
I am not local to Edinburgh but have cycled through it twice on LEJOG, once on a tour and another time when trying to find a friend's house. Each time was fraught with trouble. From trying to follow the route to the Forth road bridge to getting confused at large open junctions that were not designed for bikes or cars. Any suggestions at cycling through Edinburgh or anywhere near the centre need to be very closely looked at as the town will be full of tourists not looking where they are going in large groups. Move forward with this idea with caution.  ??? ???

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #128 on: 06 May, 2019, 04:15:04 pm »
I . . . have cycled through [Edinburgh] twice . . . Each time was fraught with trouble . . . .Any suggestions at cycling through Edinburgh or anywhere near the centre need to be very closely looked at . . . Move forward with this idea with caution.
But others have expressed disappointment that this UK flagship long distance ride goes all the way to the suburbs but then doesn't visit Scotland's fantastic capital. @alwyn's 2021 project aims to consummate our trip across the border. And the Forth Road Bridge is a spectacular extra.
I suspect that the route will be designed with (dis)proportionate effort, care, attention to safety and detail, notwithstanding recognition that every rider is on a private excursion on the public highway, responsible for their own conduct (and navigation). There are firm and capable hands on the tiller and plenty of local advice (see thread).
I sincerely hope we do not go down the alley of an attempt to 'sign' the 'mandatory' route through Edinburgh's roads and cycle paths out to the bridge. And red and white tape on all the bollards to increase their conspicuity, perhaps?
I guess Dunfermline is booked so we'll have to get there somehow.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #129 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:07:38 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  It's all very useful  :thumbsup:

Alwyn and I will revisit the route through the capital, as we were discussing several options.  At the end of the day, a few minutes hike-a-bike through the dead centre is nought compared to 120 hours pedalling the rest of the way.  It's still a couple of years off, we still intend to take you through some of the best bits  ;)

FWIW, I taped a couple of bollards with reflective tape on the Cambridge Busway as a test (for LEL) back in 2016 and someone else — I have no idea who! — went along and taped the rest.  And I keep seeing fresh tape being added to bits of furniture along that particular route.  I suspect something similar could be attempted where needed on the bikepath through Edinburgh — safety by stealth, or something.  But let's not forget that cyclists ride into things even when they're clearly marked — as happened on my Capitals of East Anglia 300 last weekend, less than 1km after the start  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #130 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:25:32 pm »
Paths and quiet routes through Edinburgh are all covered by the SPOKES Edinburgh Cycle Map. £6.95 from https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/spokes-cyclists-map-of-edinburgh-2016-edition I regularly heard people asking at the Edinburgh control in 2017 how far it was to the city centre as they wanted to see the castle.

bairn again

« Reply #131 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:35:28 pm »
heres my tuppenceworth. 

The Roseburn -  FRB via the tarmac cycle path is a no brainer ie using the same route as my Auld Alliance and WH1000 last year. 

Id give up on a route going by any specific city centre tourist attractions given the time of year and navigational difficulties inherent in larger cities.  Crossing the Forth (twice) is iconic enough IMHO.

No need for stewards at Haymarket.

My offer of help as an EH12 resident (and experienced event organiser) remains open. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29912943

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #132 on: 06 May, 2019, 08:41:49 pm »
My offer of help as an EH12 resident (and experienced event organiser) remains open. 

Thanks, BA  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #133 on: 06 May, 2019, 09:08:51 pm »
Cor, thanks everyone for the advice and help. I'm even more certain now that we can make a success of this.

simonp

« Reply #134 on: 06 May, 2019, 09:14:53 pm »
I packed at Brampton northbound because I knew I wasn't heading north fast enough.

That was another factor. 100 hour riders who weren't proceeding as modelled.

Thanks for that video Damon - I stand by all of it!

The reality is - having completed every 1000km+ event I'd started before 2016, I've since then DNFd the two I've entered. The most obvious contributing factor is taking up rowing, which has led to less time on the bike and significant weight gain* (as well as a bit of middle age spread along with it). Given that a month later we won Gloucester Regatta it was probably a wise choice to pack; that fed into 2018 and 4 more wins.

For PBP this year I've made the choice to step back from rowing competitively in order to ensure I'm in the right place physically for PBP. I might return to rowing after PBP, in which case I'd then have to decide whether to have a go at LEL 2021. If I did it would have to be on the similar basis of stepping back from the rowing, I think, so that if conditions are tough I'll still be in the game.

* Last PBP I was around 74-75kg. Now 82kg - yet still too light for our fastest boat.

« Reply #135 on: 07 May, 2019, 11:33:42 am »
We've wondered why people ride fixed over the years. Alan Vance gave us an insight at Brest in 2007. He said he was on fixed because he was lazy, and if he had gears he'd change down until it was easy, and it wouldn't do if it was easy.
https://youtu.be/aNc5OaLuI74

There was a tailwind forecast when Heather talked to Alan. There's a lot of talk about the effect of headwinds, but not so much about tailwinds. Gradients are easily represented in graphics, the effects of windspeed and direction are variable, and are only apparent in real time.

Discussion of LEL 2017 performance has to factor in much of the field not 'making hay while the sun shines'.

In the background of the video of Simon P is Daniel Sikar. I don't know what time he started, but his experience over Yad Moss was different from Simon's.

bairn again

« Reply #136 on: 07 May, 2019, 12:25:09 pm »
heres my tuppenceworth. 

The Roseburn -  FRB via the tarmac cycle path is a no brainer ie using the same route as my Auld Alliance and WH1000 last year. 

Id give up on a route going by any specific city centre tourist attractions given the time of year and navigational difficulties inherent in larger cities.  Crossing the Forth (twice) is iconic enough IMHO.

No need for stewards at Haymarket.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29912943

Heres a version that goes under the tram line at Russell Road just near the end of the bike path thus avoiding any crossing issues then uses the Telfer Subway to reach Polwarth and onwards through Morningside. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29917418

Edit - and a "tourist" version using Princes Street.  Heading south/east this crosses the tram line at the east end of Princes Street where the tram swings left onto St Andrew Square and heading north/west it crosses the tram line at Princes St / Frederick St.   

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29917485

« Reply #137 on: 07 May, 2019, 12:39:45 pm »
Is the idea to cross Edinburgh twice, or take a direct route from Moffat to the Forth bridge?

« Reply #138 on: 07 May, 2019, 12:58:10 pm »
Is the idea to cross Edinburgh twice, or take a direct route from Moffat to the Forth bridge?

That's a good point. The Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain' will go up to Abington, then to Hopetoun for an overnight stay. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29222267

The Pentland Hills dictate that to a large extent. The desire for more interest by passing through Edinburgh may result in more riding next to the M74, on poor surfaces.  Clydesdale's nice though.

bairn again

« Reply #139 on: 07 May, 2019, 01:08:49 pm »
oh yes of course, the direct route needs to go no closer to Embra than Newbridge. 

« Reply #140 on: 07 May, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »
I'd assumed the route only went through Edinburgh once: there isn't any need to do it twice.

But if it goes through Edinburgh it ought to be a "tourist" route, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go through the city otherwise. BA's looks pretty good to me: maybe needs the odd tweak but his knowledge is more local than mine. I know the tramlines might be a problem, but I would expect most of the foreign riders to be more familiar with these than the British ones. So not insuperable.

« Reply #141 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:01:20 pm »
I don't think the official route has to go through the centre of Edinburgh, just close enough so that those that do want to detour to see it can easily, and if you leave and rejoin the mandatory route at the same point that should be fine surely?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #142 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:12:09 pm »
That means the cycle path next to the A90, then the B701, which is like the London South Circular.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #143 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:19:52 pm »
Hopefully 2021 will be my third LEL and I couldn't begin to fault the organisation in anyway whatsover. But ! The last thing I want to be doing after 700km riding is walking and pushing my bike in my cleats amongst hundreds of tourists not looking where they are going. I can totally understand people wanting to get to Edinburgh 'proper' and I think it's a great aim for the event but please make it all ridable.

« Reply #144 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:26:38 pm »
The plan is to route directly from Moffat to the Forth bridge, then back via Edinburgh using the cycle route from Dalmeny to Haymarket.

I can understand that you might not want to have to walk, but that could well happen regardless of the route through town. The traffic free route is also popular with people walking their dog, and I will take a very dim view of any rider who is any less than utterly civil and polite in yielding to anyone on foot.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #145 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »
I can understand that you might not want to have to walk, but that could well happen regardless of the route through town. The traffic free route is also popular with people walking their dog, and I will take a very dim view of any rider who is any less than utterly civil and polite in yielding to anyone on foot.

I have no problem with dog walkers, slow urban cyclist or the odd person walking

I know that it's difficult to make an un-dangerous route into most urban centres.  Most cities have busy roads in their middle

However, if the official route is choked with push chairs, people walking their dog, joggers with headphones on etc etc then I'd rather risk my life with HGVs turning left and so on.  Often this sort of thing is very sensitive to the time of day and the weather

I'll ask locals for a definitive opinion nearer the time once the route is decided

« Reply #146 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:41:17 pm »

I have no problem with dog walkers, slow urban cyclist or the odd person walking

I know that it's difficult to make an un-dangerous route into most urban centres.  Most cities have busy roads in their middle

However, if the official route is choked with push chairs, people walking their dog, joggers with headphones on etc etc then I'd rather risk my life with HGVs turning left and so on.  Often this sort of thing is very sensitive to the time of day and the weather

I'll ask locals for a definitive opinion nearer the time once the route is decided

In that case, LEL2021 probably isn’t the event for you.

Incidentally, Edinburgh, Fife and Midlothian councils are already aware of the event. They very kindly unlock gates and barriers where they are able to. The track we used in 2017 was not universally popular, but it was popular. We also received no complaints, and we do get a dozen or so complaints from the public each iteration.

« Reply #147 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:51:39 pm »
A direct route between Moffat and the Forth road bridge will cross the Clydesdale district of South Lanarkshire. The Clyde catchment gets surprisingly near to Edinburgh.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #148 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »
In that case, LEL2021 probably isn’t the event for you.

Oh, too bad.  I've entered it twice before and volunteered on one.  I guess things change

« Reply #149 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:22:33 pm »
I've not had any problems with the FRB to Edinburgh route. I think there is enough cycle traffic on it that pedestrians expect bikes and behave accordingly.

If folks want a fast trip through Edinburgh could they (be advised to) time it so they are travelling early hours of the morning?
Audax Ecosse - always going too far