Author Topic: TSR framebag prototype; thoughts?  (Read 7051 times)

TSR framebag prototype; thoughts?
« on: 22 April, 2018, 08:38:34 pm »
‘Ey up, all!

Having a few moments to myself yesterday, I knocked up a prototype for a frame bag which has been hovering in the back of my mind for ages. Hopefully the link below will pull up a photo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uTo9e13qKsnJmKRgXzPI-MsDA4XfHjhP

I’m really just looking for suggestions should I ever pull my finger out and make it. I’ve been think roll-top closure up to now, but a flap or zip might work better.  Additional stiffening, perhaps?

TIA.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Re: TSR framebag prototype; thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:43:35 am »
The more I look at it in the flesh, the more I wonder if just knocking up something similar in stiff mesh to form a basket might actually be more useful than a full-blown bag?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 04:42:47 pm »
I'd stick with a fairly stiff fabric to both maintain shape and then be pick-uppable when you leave the bike.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2018, 04:24:42 pm »
I reckon a roll top closure would work well. A flap with velcro closure would work fine too. A zip would have to be made waterproof somehow, and could make it difficult to close a full bag.

You can buy stuff to stiffen fabric. You stitch it in, or you fuse it using heat, depending. It's known as interfacing (or fusible interfacing). That allows you to choose whatever material you like for the outer shell and lining.

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2018, 01:12:04 pm »
For stiffening, checkout In-R-Foam, Mrs Ham (she of the patchwork brigade) has just used it to make a bag from, it is probably what you are looking for in that respect.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2019, 01:37:05 am »
Where's the back brake! :o

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2019, 07:21:58 am »
In the hub.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2019, 02:27:08 am »
Cool! (hub brake).

Nice idea, a top flap with Velcro would help it to stop bulging in the middle and also stop water getting in.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2019, 08:51:58 am »
What do you want to carry? I’m wondering whether it might need an internal frame to stop it flopping to one side or the other, and to stop it drooping Dali-like over the tubes. But I think it would depend on the contents.

If it is just for you and you’re never going to carry more than a waterproof, tube and tyre levers, there’s no need. But if you want to be able to pick up milk and wine on the way home, you might need some reinforcement?

But it might be something you could make retrospectively.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2019, 06:37:00 pm »
It looks as if there's been a murder in your Moulton!

Seriously, doesn't it interfere with pedalling?  If you've been taught to pedal like a racing cyclist, with your knees almost brushing a (conventional) top tube, even the TSR seat tube bottle cage is unusable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.