Author Topic: How to cook a cormorant  (Read 8625 times)

How to cook a cormorant
« on: 08 May, 2008, 02:15:07 pm »
I heard this on the radio the other day, and found the text on the internet. A recipe for the keen cook who enjoys a challenge.

Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from you as you carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous & the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific. Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol & set on fire. This treatment both removes most of the feathers and kills the lice.

When the smoke has cleared away, take the cormorant down & cut off its beak…. bury the carcass preferably in light sandy soil & leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by, in part at least, removing the taste of rotting fish. Dig up & skin the bird. Place in a strong salt & water solution & soak for 48 hours. Remove, dry, stuff with whole unpeeled onions: the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent so that it is very dark brown as opposed to entirely black.

Simmer gently in seawater, to which two tablespoons of chloride of lime has been added, for a further 6 hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water & allow to dry, meanwhile mixing up a stiff paste of methylated spirit & curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally, roast in a very hot oven for 3 hours. The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture would eat it.

Pete

Re: How to cook a cormorant
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 04:59:50 pm »
From an article in the New Scientist a few years ago.  Possibly apocryphal.

"The Washington Biological Survey was monitoring bird migration across the United States, and was fitting birds with a ring marked simply with the words Wash. Biol. Surv. and a reference number.

One day they received an irate letter from a hunter down in one of the Southern states.  'Dear Sirs, last week I shot one of your birds.  I think it was a kind of crow.  I followed the instructions on the leg-ring, and I have to tell you it tasted horrible.  Yours faithfully....'

The wording on the rings was amended."

;D

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:02:47 pm »
LMAO  ;D

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:15:35 pm »
Not to be confused with Delia's "Shag in a Bag" or Madhur Jaffrey's "Shag Aloo".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:42:56 pm »
and how to cook a gannett (guga) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGS4XlxCSl8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AGS4XlxCSl8&rel=1</a>

:sick:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2011, 11:33:37 am »
and how to cook a gannett (guga) (link)

That youtube link gives me the following:

"This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

Does it work for anyone else in the UK? How can I tell which country my IP appears to be from? It's a 3 mifi.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »
Yeah I get that, I can understand British TV companies blocking programmes outside the UK, but not inside. I've seen quite a few things like this, rather puzzling.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2011, 02:27:51 pm »
Try puffin.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2011, 02:34:34 pm »
Try puffin.

Delicious. Dark meat, very fishy. You need a couple of them for a good sized portion.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »
Try puffin.

Delicious. Dark meat, very fishy. You need a couple of them for a good sized portion.

Had it as a starter with a putrified shark thing and a liquid you drink to sterlise your mouth afterwards.

Hákarl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Reply #12 on: 02 May, 2011, 09:33:03 am »
Try puffin.

Had it as a starter with a putrified shark thing and a liquid you drink to sterlise your mouth afterwards.

Hákarl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hákarl - the onomatopoeic "delicacy".  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #13 on: 02 May, 2011, 09:35:50 am »
and how to cook a gannett (guga) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGS4XlxCSl8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/AGS4XlxCSl8&rel=1</a>

"This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

Does it work for anyone else in the UK? How can I tell which country my IP appears to be from? It's a 3 mifi.

I did post the link 3 years ago

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2011, 09:40:23 am »

Sorry about that."

I did post the link 3 years ago

Which begs the question, why disinter this thread?

Unless Pancho was dive-"bombed" by incontinent gannets at the weekend...  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
Which begs the question, why disinter this thread?

Bizarre. I had no idea that it was that old. I very rarely use any other means of viewing than "Recent Threads" and "RTU" so am baffled as to how I stumbled across the thread.

But all the evidence suggest that, yes, it was me that posted the post that brought it back to life (the thread, not the cormorant).

« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »
I wonder what swan tastes like.

« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »
I wonder what swan tastes like.

Depends whether anyone's been swan "upping"...

« Reply #18 on: 02 May, 2011, 02:59:51 pm »
Google is my friend -

"How bizarre - we just discussed this at breakfast today. My father-in-law hit and killed a swan with his car many years ago. He was in front of his friend's house, so he brought it in, and the friend and his family ate it. My father-in-law, surprisingly enough, didn't have any (he'll eat anything), but he reported that it is very similar to goose (dark meat, lots of fat), just much bigger! "