Author Topic: Exotic things you have eaten  (Read 11044 times)

Trull

• The settee will kill you
    • Aberdeen Astronomical Society
Re: Exotic things you have eaten
« Reply #25 on: 30 March, 2014, 04:26:36 pm »
Its a midweek staple, but lots have not eaten a good Haggis.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26 on: 30 March, 2014, 04:30:17 pm »
Oh for the haggis & chips in the EU Union, 1/3d a shot & bloody marvellous.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #27 on: 30 March, 2014, 04:34:59 pm »
Fish in Hong Kong. Not particularly unusual, but I got to choose it out of the tank it was swimming in.

I did not eat it but seen in China, kittens in a cage which you can select for dinner!

Back to lobster, again in China, we were once served a huge 60yr old beast. The meat was spread out on ice behind the head, which was so fresh that the eyes were still swivelling on the stalks. It was literally watching you as you ate it...

ian

« Reply #28 on: 30 March, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »

Oh, don't mock till you've tried fish finger and Skips sandwiches. If you want fu-fu, get some boutique bakery sourdough bread. I'm classy.

Sounds good. With a bit of thousand island dressing perhaps?

Pie club sandwich sounds fantastic. One of those things you "must try before you die" - and best make it the last thing on the list...

It's certainly quite high on my final menu choices for my death row last meal (apparently, the condemned don't get the choice these days, so they get shuffled off to the afterlife with whatever the canteen is serving that day, which seems a bit cruel and usual, like a double period of math after school dinner, tapioca pudding bubbling like volcanic mud in your belly, which puts a boy off his quadratic equations). I confess to a very bland palette because I grew up in a part of East Midlands only discovered by explorers in the mid-1970s. I've travelled the world and, to be honest, I'd choose fish fingers any day. I can actually find burritos in any city on the planet. I have burrito radar. I can live off tex-mex for some reason. I think that's because our isolated East Midlands valley was home to a lost tribe of mariachi musicians. Sadly, upon exposure the outside world they were quickly overcome by Peruvian pan pipers.

Thousand island dressing. With a spoon! That's a starter in my book.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #29 on: 11 April, 2014, 03:09:41 am »
I've had a friends Placenta. Pan grilled with garlic and spices. That was tastey.
Chicken feet but that's quite common in asian food I guess.
Cows tongue in France, that was rubbery and horrible.
Brains, I can't remember if that was goat or cow though. An acquired taste.
Ostrich Burger, admittedly frozen from Lidl but very tasty.
Various bugs from my mate who runs Ento.
Bulls testicle. That was sliced and fried and actually tasty.
Snail in Malta. They were okish.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 11 April, 2014, 10:10:13 am »
Cows tongue in France, that was rubbery and horrible.

Tongue can be lovely but your experience is all too typical. I think it needs a long period of salting to really tenderise it. Best tongue I ever had was at the French House in Soho, thinly sliced, lightly chargrilled and served with a carrot salad.

Also enjoyed some exquisite bone marrow at the same meal, served still in the bone with a pick, along with a parsley salad and sourdough toast.

The French House always used to be brilliant for fans of offal and other less glamorous cuts.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #31 on: 11 June, 2014, 12:06:41 pm »
I love insides, me. That said, I really couldn't finish an andouillette I had in Paris a few years ago.

The most exotic thing I've had is probably Percebes in Madrid, or goose barnacle as I believe they're known here. They're harvested by crazy men up on the north coast of Spain, who climb down rocks to get them between waves. It's quite a dangerous occupation and the Spanish ones are correspondingly expensive, although I wasn't paying so I didn't really mind.

« Reply #32 on: 11 June, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »
Sausages.

And if anyone knows how exotic those can be, keep it to yourself please.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #33 on: 12 June, 2014, 07:28:49 am »
A-a-a-armin, i-is that y-you?

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #34 on: 16 June, 2014, 05:26:07 pm »
Piranha.  Dull.

« Reply #35 on: 24 June, 2014, 10:35:46 am »
Fantastic lunchtime liver and onions in Lebanese restaurant central Freetown, Sierra Leone. Liver of what is unknown to this day.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #36 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
Fantastic lunchtime liver and onions in Lebanese restaurant central Freetown, Sierra Leone. Liver of what is unknown to this day.

Was it served with fava beans and a nice Chianti?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #37 on: 24 June, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »
In Southern Africa:

Mopani caterpillars.
Termite larvae (eaten like rice)
Crocodile ribs.
Lambs tails (on open fire during de-tailking of lambs a few days old).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #38 on: 05 July, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »
Tongue isn't exotic. We ate it regularly during my Yorkshire childhood. If you can get it in Skelmanthorpe in 1976, it's not exotic.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #39 on: 25 September, 2015, 09:04:09 am »
I had sea urchin in Spain last year. Absolutely delicious.
Rust never sleeps

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #40 on: 25 September, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »
I obtained a large jar of colombian fried ants in the 1980s on a business trip, where my local contact had an ant farm - which is actually a big deal there. He gave me the jar as a big gesture to consolidate a business relationship.
The ants are about the size of peanuts, but with legs and insecty stuff, and taste really lovely.  Seriously, really good to eat with beer - but very pricey. I would eat them anytime and pay for the privilege, but they cost more than anything you can imagine except white truffles.
At my company conference, for the newly formed South America department, thinking to share this 'developing market' delicacy with my colleagues I arranged for the ants to be served with pre dinner drinks. I reckoned I would win huge brownie points as a bold venturer, bringing the exoticism of our markets into the room.
I was unfortunately detained and unable to explain the delicacy to the assembled throng as they headed to the bar to neck the scotch. By the time I got there it was all to late. The MD, a conservative minded northerner, which is codespeak, , had reached for the peanuts and had a few before he realised they had legs.  He went apeshit.  As far as he was concerned I had basically put cockroaches in the peanut bowls as a joke.  There wasn't really any way to explain it with a positive outcome and my career never really recovered.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #41 on: 17 November, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »
Crocodile.

Tasted like chicken - but what doesn't?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #42 on: 17 November, 2015, 06:22:26 pm »
Crocodile.

Turkey.
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #43 on: 17 November, 2015, 06:23:44 pm »
Durian.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #44 on: 17 November, 2015, 06:35:27 pm »
Philippines - buffet eaten off banana leaves using fingers. Fabulous meal after helping with a crown-of-thorns starfish cleanup run from a dive resort I used to help out at.
Philippines - a sweet spaghetti generally eaten on birthdays.
Philippines - balut.
Indonesia - zebra, crocodile, snake, ostrich, kangaroo, spinal cord of cow, pigeon Rat (from a street vendor I later found out was dodgy), cat (from the same dodgy street vendor).
Indonesia - I was offered live monkey brain, but drew the line.
Indonesia - drunken prawns, I was introduced to sushi and sashimi (which are now a great favorite).
Indonesia - chicken feet - readily available but no, thanks.
Germany - More wurst than you can shake a stick at. Most is great but weisswurst is just as awful in Germany as white pudding is in Cornwall.
Germany - Roast chicken, at the bierkellers and biergartens, is to die for. In Bavaria it's traditional to take your own knife. Not exotic but worthy of mention.
Germany - If you like fish try the steckerlfisch. I don't like culinary cemeteries so fish was out.
Germany - I used to go to a Thai restaurant and got friendly with the family that owned it. They introduced me to dog. They save the best for themselves.
Sweden - I tried meatballs but, frankly, I prefer the ones in a UK branch of Ikea.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 17 November, 2015, 07:37:31 pm »
Crocodile.

Turkey.

Yebbut what does turkey taste  like?
Tofu?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #46 on: 17 November, 2015, 07:37:40 pm »
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #47 on: 17 November, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »
Just remembered:

Indonesia - Durian. Delicious. A big favourite in Indonesia. Not allowed in many hotels or on aircraft though!
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #48 on: 18 November, 2015, 01:20:59 am »
Crocodile.

On sampling alligator in Florida the late Phil Llewellin told the waitress it was "like crocodile but with a hint of aardvark".  This may have contained traces of Lie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #49 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:00:18 am »
Just remembered:

Indonesia - Durian. Delicious. A big favourite in Indonesia. Not allowed in many hotels or on aircraft though!

:sick:

Horrible stuff. Even the smell of durian stalls in the cities makes me gag.

Acquired taste for sure. Presumably acquired by removing one's tastebuds with sulphuric acid and a wire brush?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!