Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391038 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1250 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:11:12 am »
Should I be pronouncing Audax as:
Oar-dax (as in rowing)
Oww-dax (as in stubbing my toe)

Something else?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1251 on: 14 May, 2019, 09:14:17 am »
How about oh-dax. As in eau d'Axe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1252 on: 14 May, 2019, 07:49:24 pm »
Oar-dax (as in rowing)

Something else?
I think the latter is much sexier.

But I confess I can't help using the "oar" version - to match audacious.

It doesn't really matter - and I've never seen an official dictum - as none of us are romans/greeks!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1253 on: 15 May, 2019, 06:02:16 am »
Oww-stralia.
Oww-dacious.
Oww-dio.
Oww-thentication.

« Reply #1254 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:35:56 am »
How do I find out if I have any virtual brevet cards left?

« Reply #1255 on: 17 May, 2019, 11:49:17 am »
Ask your friendly DIY Organiser.

« Reply #1256 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:16:55 pm »

Find the entry confirmation email from the last one you did. It lists the number remaining at the bottom.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1257 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:20:30 pm »

Find the entry confirmation email from the last one you did. It lists the number remaining at the bottom.
Just checked mine because I'd never noticed that before, but can't see it.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1258 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »
Just checked mine because I'd never noticed that before, but can't see it.

You want the email titled "DIY Perm Appl" not the one titled "AUK DIY with GPX entry"

(This is Paul Stewart and Mandatory Route - I don't know if they all use the same system)

« Reply #1259 on: 17 May, 2019, 02:07:23 pm »
I don't see that. I'll ask Martin my friendly local DIY organiser.

Thanks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1260 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:24:43 pm »
Oar-dax (as in rowing)

Something else?
It doesn't really matter - and I've never seen an official dictum - as none of us are romans/greeks!

The word cropped up on University Challenge a couple of weeks ago - I can't remember how Paxman said it (in fact he probably didn't, it was an answer to a question so he probably just said 'yes' as he tossed the cue-card away).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1261 on: 17 May, 2019, 05:10:17 pm »
Oar-dax (as in rowing)

Something else?

The word cropped up on University Challenge a couple of weeks ago - I can't remember how Paxman said it (in fact he probably didn't, it was an answer to a question so he probably just said 'yes' as he tossed the cue-card away).

The contestant who gave the answer pronounced it ow-dax - it was an educated guess on his part, based on his knowledge of Latin, rather than his knowledge of cycling. That does seem to be the preferred pronunciation among classicists. I've always pronounced it aw-dax.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1262 on: 20 May, 2019, 08:39:26 pm »
Randomly discovered FEs concern about Google Walking Mode, which has vexed me too. I frequently do a clockwise Deeside Loop from Banchory, my fave summer ride, as a 200k DIY except that Google insists on routing Kirriemuir-Banchory past Dalnaglar Castle and over a deep burn [Shee Water], where there is no sign of any past or present bridge or ford [I have been there and looked]. So I can put in an extra point on a route that is otherwise elegant in its minimalism, with 3 controls plus start/finish. Yes I know the advice is every 50k, but...

I've noticed that Google Walking mode has an increasing number of mountain passes that are perhaps not the best routing for a DIY Perm.
For example, feed it Pitlochry to Braemar and it'll take you up the Lairg into the Spittal of Glenshee; possibly fine on an MTB or as a Rough Stuff Ride (I don't know) but a ball ache for a DIY Perm as
I'm not really wanting to set an intermediary at Dalrulzion unless absolutely necessary (alternative proof of passage impossible)

Similarly I've just discovered it seems to like the Fungle Road as a route from Braemar to Fetterey when set to walking, aye right I'm doing that on 28mm tyres...

Found this also when routing in the lakes which resulted in me going mandatory routing...

Is this as much a risk to our niché as the ongoing death of cash machines and paper receipts?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1263 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:34:49 pm »
Randomly discovered FEs concern about Google Walking Mode, which has vexed me too. I frequently do a clockwise Deeside Loop from Banchory, my fave summer ride, as a 200k DIY except that Google insists on routing Kirriemuir-Banchory past Dalnaglar Castle and over a deep burn [Shee Water], where there is no sign of any past or present bridge or ford [I have been there and looked]. So I can put in an extra point on a route that is otherwise elegant in its minimalism, with 3 controls plus start/finish. Yes I know the advice is every 50k, but...

The Deeside Loop is such a well-known route that the regional DIY org will almost certainly not raise an eyebrow at an entry with a route-shaping point that forces the route on-road.

I'd not bother to add the point as an actual control.
Just add it to the route on Google Maps to force the route, and when you submit the route to the org, either add a note about the route shaping point, or don't bother.
In this specific case, I'd not bother.

« Reply #1264 on: 25 May, 2019, 07:15:57 pm »
Riding a DiY tomorrow, its a 100km AAA ride.

My two (quick) questions are; I'm actually riding 120km, do I get time allowance for that?

And; Do I get a minimum speed of 12.5km or is it 15km an hour?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1265 on: 25 May, 2019, 07:20:23 pm »
15km/h (or possibly 14.3? Best await confirmation on that actually) and you get extra time for the extra distance.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1266 on: 25 May, 2019, 07:34:22 pm »
DIY Populaires can have a minimum speed of 10km/h.

For an advisory route DIY, the time is based on the shortest distance between controls. Even if you actually ride further than that, ie taking a scenic route.
For a mandatory route DIY, it is the actual distance of the route. Which should be the same as what you ride.

« Reply #1267 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:42:22 pm »
Perms can be used for awards (specifically R2500), right?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1268 on: 13 June, 2019, 07:31:14 pm »
AUK yes, ACP no (generally).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1269 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:04:11 pm »
For DIYxGPS Mandatory for distances under 200km what's the speed range allowed?
The virtual brevet card gives me the times for 30kmh and 14.3kmh, so is it that range?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1270 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
The entry form defaults to 14.3 (possibly because it follows the BR entry form) but BPs are a little different. From https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/classifications/ "These shorter rides - usually up to 200km - are called Brevet Populaires (BP) and may usually be ridden at minimum speeds of between 10km-12.5km per hour and maximum speeds of 20km-25km per hour."

I suspect an email to your preferred DIY organiser would sort this out.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1271 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:44:25 pm »
The entry form defaults to 14.3 (possibly because it follows the BR entry form) but BPs are a little different. From https://www.audax.uk/about-audax/classifications/ "These shorter rides - usually up to 200km - are called Brevet Populaires (BP) and may usually be ridden at minimum speeds of between 10km-12.5km per hour and maximum speeds of 20km-25km per hour."

I suspect an email to your preferred DIY organiser would sort this out.

Yes, e-mail to be sent, but answer can often be obtained from here faster!

« Reply #1272 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:02:38 pm »

!0km/hour for all DIYs of less than 200km.

Eg for a 110km "100", 11hours maximum.

Sorry not clear on the website!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1273 on: 29 July, 2019, 07:17:02 pm »
Perfect, thanks.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1274 on: 09 August, 2019, 08:21:45 am »
I've just tried to upload my DIY track and it says "file repository full" - is that a website issue?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000