Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 222048 times)

red marley

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #1025 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:48:47 am »
Day 361 / 151 / 5: Kurt celebrates his record breaking achievement by "only" riding 168 miles around Flatwood. He is currently pushing the world record to 75,290 miles with four days to go. Steve rides back south from his stay in East Yorkshire clocking up 195 miles. Kajsa rides from Newark towards Peterborough but a puncture and dark winter weather keeps her distance to exactly one 'Dovey' (81 miles). Bruce takes a break from the hills and sticks to repeats along the coast around Adelaide 218 miles taking him to 32 miles above the Godwin line in only 5 days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1026 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:20:25 pm »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

That's quite interesting.

Seems to me that quality of sleep is vitally important, and if Steve's natural sleep phase lags daylight, then perhaps there's more benefit to going with the flow rather than making the most of the available daylight.  We know he isn't afraid of riding in the dark.

Alternatively, by starting later he's simply avoiding the morning commuter traffic.  I don't know his usual roads out of MK very well, but the effect on speed could be substantial.

Might also be a reasonable approach to avoid ice.  If there was any ice.

« Reply #1027 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:51:28 pm »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

That's quite interesting.

Seems to me that quality of sleep is vitally important, and if Steve's natural sleep phase lags daylight, then perhaps there's more benefit to going with the flow rather than making the most of the available daylight.  We know he isn't afraid of riding in the dark.

Alternatively, by starting later he's simply avoiding the morning commuter traffic.  I don't know his usual roads out of MK very well, but the effect on speed could be substantial.

Might also be a reasonable approach to avoid ice.  If there was any ice.

Plus avoiding the coldest period of the day. Usually the period of the day when you have to change clothes often is during the first two hours after sunrise. After that temperatures tend to be more stable. So if you evade part of this timeperiod your moving time will be higher.

« Reply #1028 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:49:23 am »

Yes, but probably not in a good way!  Passing traffic on the network of dual carriageways which make up Milton Keynes would give him an extra 1-2mph of speed.  Of course any inpenetrable hold-ups would offset that.

« Reply #1029 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:14:05 am »
IMO, a 6 am start would have got him out into the countryside before the morning traffic started.
Also in my opinion, 10 am traffic is worse than 6 am traffic.

When I rode midweek 200 DIYs, I got my start proof at an ATM at 06:00.
When I rode 300 Midmesh, I got my start proof at he same ATM at 05:00.

red marley

« Reply #1030 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:58:49 am »
Day 362 / 152 / 6: After a couple of farewell laps of Flatwoods Park, Kurt heads south ending his day in Naples and with another 166 miles added to the record (now standing at 75,446 miles). Steve spends the day riding round and round and round and round the Milton Keynes Bowl for 157 miles. Kajsa also rides a loop, but just the one, circumnavigating Peterborough for 94 miles. Bruce does another 212 miles with a couple of large climbs and plenty of headwind.

red marley

« Reply #1031 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »
I've added a few new enhancements to the OYTT visualizer at http://gicentre.org/oytt

• Kajsa's and Bruce's progress can now be plotted.
  • Billie Dovey's (Flemming) progress through the year can now also be plotted.
  • Rather than only scale progress relative to Tommy Godwin's total, you can now choose between five different targets ranging from Billie Dovey's 81 mpd right up to an ambitious 80,000 miles (219 mpd). These are selectable from the bottom row of buttons. The 'Kurt Searvogel' button will scale to whatever his current total is until his final WR total on January 9th is confirmed.

Here's an example showing Kajsa's progress so far in comparison to the 'Dovey line':

« Reply #1032 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:10:03 pm »
Sheer brilliance, thanks!

« Reply #1033 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
Thanks Jo,   Easy to use, easy to understand.

Superb work

red marley

« Reply #1034 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:49:28 pm »

« Reply #1035 on: 08 January, 2016, 12:51:58 am »
Sheer brilliance, thanks!

Plus one

« Reply #1036 on: 08 January, 2016, 07:29:01 am »
Don't know how you do this Jo, but brilliant work.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1037 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:38:50 am »
That bottom one would make a great poster.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1038 on: 08 January, 2016, 11:26:37 am »
I can see why Steve says he misses riding in Wales.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1039 on: 08 January, 2016, 11:42:25 am »
The saddest bit is the thread down on the bottom left, to Exeter.  On the way back, the brightness decreases where the moped struck.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1040 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:02:25 pm »
I can see why Steve says he misses riding in Wales.

It's time to make a special offer - Lifetime free entry to Cambrian Series Permanents to riders who have a verified mileage of more than 60,000 in one calendary year.  (Whilst I'm still the organiser) - Go Steve!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1041 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:23:20 pm »
Great stuff, Jo.

Readers of this forum are exceedingly fortunate to have the benefit of all your hard work.
Embrace your inner Fred.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1042 on: 08 January, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »
It's time to make a special offer - Lifetime free entry to Cambrian Series Permanents to riders who have a verified mileage of more than 60,000 in one calendary year.  (Whilst I'm still the organiser) - Go Steve!

Why not give Jo a perm entry considering all the work he's done visualling the oytt. I'm sure he'd enjoy the 8A :demon:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1043 on: 08 January, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »

Why not give Jo a perm entry considering all the work he's done visualling the oytt. I'm sure he'd enjoy the 8A :demon:.

Jo can have a free entry to any of the Tamworth events as a very small reward for all the work done.

Thank you very much Jo

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #1044 on: 08 January, 2016, 05:54:10 pm »
"Freeman of the village of Marsh Gibbon."

red marley

« Reply #1045 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:11:39 pm »
Day 363 / 153 / 7: A week in for the two new challengers and only two more days left for Kurt. He continues to ride south onto the Florida Keys to finish his day with 183 miles more on the WR. Steve rides up to the Norfolk coast with the benefit of a tailwind eventually getting to Great Yarmouth with exactly 200 miles on the clock. Kajsa also rides east with the tailwind until changing heading into the fens makes the cross wind too hazardous to carry on much further. Her 60 mile day still leaves her 70 miles above the Dovey line. On the other side of the world Bruce also battles with headwinds on his 210 miles of circuits around Adelaide.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1046 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »
Great stuff, Jo.

Readers of this forum are exceedingly fortunate to have the benefit of all your hard work.

Definitely - once again, thanks jo!

red marley

« Reply #1047 on: 09 January, 2016, 02:27:23 pm »
Day 364 / 154 / 8: With only one more day to go for Kurt he rides north from the Keys past Miami, Fort Lauderdale towards West Palm Beach. He keeps his consistently fast pace despite over 75,000 miles in his legs ending the day with the world record advanced by another 211 miles. Steve's team publish a new riding schedule for 2016 that aims to deliver a 77,000 mile record in August. This involves immediately increasing his daily average to beyond 205 mpd. Things don't get off to a good start with the headwind from Yarmouth back to MK keeping his distance down to 185 miles. Kajsa has a better day and despite one puncture she completes her planned 100 miles of fenland riding taking her 88 miles ahead of Billie Dovey's pace. Bruce also has a good day joining team Astana on the road for a while and completing around 210 miles.

red marley

« Reply #1048 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:27:42 am »
Day 365 / 155 / 9: After 365 days of riding without fail, including when barely able to stand with food poisoning, when having emergency heart monitoring, being knocked of his bike, numerous punctures,long dark nights of the soul and getting married, Kurt Searvogel clocks up a new world record of 76,076 miles.

« Reply #1049 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:31:00 am »
Great summary Jo, and thanks for the work you have put in to help us keep track of this momentous achievement! 

That last chart says it all - it's like the printout from some life-support machine showing the dramatic ups and downs, and the constant struggle it takes just to keep near the target zone, let alone keep going at all.
The sound of one pannier flapping