Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 587002 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #3900 on: 03 October, 2018, 08:16:18 am »
Heard not spotted, but wasn't that our very own frank9755 on Her Majesty's Talking Wireless, Home Service branch, this very morning?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3901 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:10:49 pm »
Not a forumite specifically but a recumbent rider turning off the A57 Snake onto a side road at Moscar this evening. Street Machine style SWB in grey, high(ish) bars, disc brakes. I was going the other way at 50mph so that's all you're getting. Anyone here...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3902 on: 07 October, 2018, 10:23:58 pm »
Not a forumite specifically but a recumbent rider turning off the A57 Snake onto a side road at Moscar this evening. Street Machine style SWB in grey, high(ish) bars, disc brakes. I was going the other way at 50mph so that's all you're getting. Anyone here...?

Jochen F of the BHPC rides a Speedmachine in that part of the world (not sure what colour).  Don't think he's on YACF.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3903 on: 08 October, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »
I was spotted by a group of 3 long distance types on the summit of the Col de sa Batalla in Majorca a few hours ago. One of them did spot my yacf top and asked who I was, he said he was a lurker but I didnt get his name.

« Reply #3904 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:45:34 pm »
I was spotted by a group of 3 long distance types on the summit of the Col de sa Batalla in Majorca a few hours ago. One of them did spot my yacf top and asked who I was, he said he was a lurker but I didnt get his name.

That was me!  *waves*

Hope you found your wife! We got a bit soggy later on, I was regretting not putting the mudguards on, but it was a fun day.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3905 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:45:47 pm »
I think Redfalo is there at the moment with a couple of chums
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3906 on: 08 October, 2018, 07:52:18 pm »
I think Redfalo is there at the moment with a couple of chums

He is... he had a quieter day today though.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3907 on: 10 October, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »

That was me!  *waves*

Hope you found your wife! We got a bit soggy later on, I was regretting not putting the mudguards on, but it was a fun day.

*Waves*. Yes I did eventually find her after a 20k retrace!
I think *everyone* has had a bit of a soaking this week!

« Reply #3908 on: 17 October, 2018, 09:20:17 pm »
Yesterday I had a memorial service in Lincolns Inn to attend so I took my bike on the train because I love cycling in London. As I waited at some lights on the Mall, I saw someone crossing the road on the bike. "That's a nice looking bike" I thought. "Ooh, pointy beard" I thought. "ANDRIJ" I thought.

"ANDRIJ" I shouted!

That was a nice surprise  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3909 on: 17 October, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »
A very pleasant surprise!  :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3910 on: 21 October, 2018, 06:25:50 pm »
Bumper crop at Hillingdon today - HK, LWaB, Von Broad and Kim :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3911 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:06:04 pm »

Well, considering I've not been drinking for two months, that's disappointing to miss all that, [apart from your good self of course who is always easy to spot]. Although I must admit to being on a bit of a tunneled-vision "where's Geoff Bird and Mike Burrows, I have some questions about building my carbon recumbent" mission today].

Thinking about it, after leaving the circuit, '...hang on, was that ? in that yacf shirt'?
Then driving home through Hayes, "there's a trike, blimey, is that ? on that trike?"
And apart some seeing somebody with a large brain, I wouldn't have known who Kim is I'm afraid.

So here's a belated, 'hello'!

Lovely day to be riding at Hillingdon. Lovely day to be just walking around up there too.
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3912 on: 21 October, 2018, 07:09:54 pm »
Don't worry, your presence was noted Mr Von.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3913 on: 21 October, 2018, 09:16:47 pm »
We were talking at Leigh Delamere tea stop yesterday and we concluded that Kim's (formerly Charlotte's, formerly iddu's) Red Baron is the only bent in the UK NOT to have been owned by Mr L at some point  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3914 on: 21 October, 2018, 10:42:26 pm »
And apart some seeing somebody with a large brain, I wouldn't have known who Kim is I'm afraid.

Similarly, I didn't spot anyone doing any heroic mid-race welding, so I wouldn't have recognised you either.  :)

Lovely day to be riding at Hillingdon. Lovely day to be just walking around up there too.

It really was.  Particularly striking after the drive down being cold and foggy (to the point where the anbaric motor car was being unexpectedly vole-hungry) for the duration, before opening up to warm sunshine as I crested the Didcot-spotting hill where the M40 crosses the Chilterns.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3915 on: 22 October, 2018, 10:52:31 am »
"Didcot-Spotting Hill" may have to be the new official name for that landmark on the M40; round here it's usually "Chicken Shit Gully" as Dr Davis, my highly-esteemed b-i-l, maintains that this was used to stabilise the sides of the cutting when they kept collapsing during construction.

Kim is too modest to mention wandering off afterwards with an armful of trophies too :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3916 on: 22 October, 2018, 11:19:23 am »
Kim is too modest to mention wandering off afterwards with an armful of trophies too :thumbsup:

My prize for repeatedly-turning-up-while-female is to repair the Ladies' trophies in time for next year's AGM.  Rae (who also did some top quality turning-up, albeit usually on a slower, funny looking bike with the pedals in the middle) got to look after the more structurally sound Best Newcomer one.

(It's the third place in Street that I'm really pleased with.)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3917 on: 25 October, 2018, 07:01:35 am »
Yesterday, two Spitzer-Wongs next to a sushi conveyor belt, and very nice it was too!

Lots of laughter. Lots of simple friendship and affection. The way an evening should be.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #3918 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:17:06 am »
Heard not spotted, but wasn't that our very own frank9755 on Her Majesty's Talking Wireless, Home Service branch, this very morning?

That's right - hope I didn't say anything silly!

It was actually quite fun, but I almost couldn't do it as we were flying off on holiday later in the morning.  They got in touch the previous day and asked if I'd like to go on (to the Today Programme to talk about Royal Mail in the business slot at 6:15am).  They sent a car at about 4:30am and I went in, met the presenter, chatted a bit.  Then it was time to go into the studio.  I sat opposite Nick Robinson, who looked grumpy and ignored me, then I did my bit, which took a 3-4 minutes - then car off to the airport to meet the family.  An interesting experience!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3919 on: 27 October, 2018, 09:18:12 pm »
Bumped into JenM this afternoon on the slightly-less-soggy-than-yesterday road between Wettenhall and Poole[1].

[1] Not that one.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3920 on: 03 November, 2018, 11:14:57 am »
Peter (difficult not to as he was in the car) Graeme and Ian in the pubbe in Welton. Fab evening and great company.

Minor downside was the A63 closure and a lack of local knowledge meant a diversion of 45 minutes via Beverley to get to South Ferry and the M62. Getting home at 2AM made getting up this morning challenging. Do it again in a heartbeat thobut...
VELOMANCER

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3921 on: 03 November, 2018, 01:20:10 pm »
Peter (difficult not to as he was in the car) Graeme and Ian in the pubbe in Welton. Fab evening and great company.

Minor downside was the A63 closure and a lack of local knowledge meant a diversion of 45 minutes via Beverley to get to South Ferry and the M62. Getting home at 2AM made getting up this morning challenging. Do it again in a heartbeat thobut...

It was great to see you. That A63 closure was a downer - I should have realised you'd be stuck and given you some help. :(

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3922 on: 03 November, 2018, 01:32:31 pm »
Looking at mapping this morning it seems we could have got to South Ferry from the South side of the A63. Obvs a line on a map doesn't indicate the suitability of the road but it was a minor inconvenience and besides, Peter and I got to chat for longer.

Also, I forgot to mention Ian and his partner in the pubbe. Sorry I can't remember his forum name...
VELOMANCER

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3923 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:56:22 pm »
Polar Bear. Last night and this morning, good to see a good guy again.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3924 on: 09 November, 2018, 07:15:50 am »
 :D
the slower you go the more you see