Author Topic: John Radford  (Read 59195 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: John Radford
« Reply #25 on: 03 August, 2013, 08:33:13 am »
Please let John know we're all thinking of him.

In addition to his great work on events like the Easter Arrow, he lent me the hallway of his Campanile room to sleep in after PBP2011!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:58:58 am »
That's horrible news.  May John make a speedy and full recovery.

He's a lovely chap--he got up early to meet our arrow team with refreshments in Holmfirth a few weeks ago.

paul851

« Reply #27 on: 03 August, 2013, 11:19:00 am »
Get well soon John .

Paul

« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2013, 12:11:15 pm »
Very sad to hear this.  John is one of the good guys.  Am thinking all positive thoughts.

spindrift

« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »
A few weeks ago he was struck from behind by a woman in her 70s, waking up in hospital, and was frustrated that the police refused to prosecute the woman, their justification being that it would serve no purpose. John took the Road Justice Campaign booklet produced by the CTC and others, to Mark Burns-Williamson, the West Yorkshire Crime and Police Commissioner, on July 11th, asking that police procedures be revised. And three weeks later he is now in ICU, with (I gather) the driver and passenger arrested.
uppadine

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78383

In the first incident the police refused to do anything?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »
Gosh, hoping that's your final in a run of 3 - GWS John.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »
I've ridden a couple of events in John's company this season and throughly enjoyable they were.  I learnt a lot from him..  I also rode his 300 to Brid in June and he was disappointed not to be able to ride himself owing to another accident a few days earlier.
What with that and the fall on his hip a couple of years ago he's due a good slice of luck.
One thing he is is, a great fighter so come on John, hoping to see you soon.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #32 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:43:39 am »
As far as I know, members of John's family are aware of this thread, and of other related discussions elsewhere.

For a couple of days, updates on John's condition have indicated that there has been no change. However, John's daughter Emma has posted the following message on the Huddersfield CTC facebook page this morning:

"i would just like tro say a huge thank you for all the best wishes and prays that are being said for my dad john radford, this is certainly the toughest journey he will ever go on, he is struggling to say the least, yesterday we were told that the journey got tougher as he now has a chest infection, anti biotics will hopefully address this. My dad is so poorly and as a family we are feeling very desperate, we saw west yorkshire Air Ambulance land again at LGI lastnight which made me realise how we take certain things for granted, the service treated my dad and apparently he had one of the best Doctors travelling with him from New Mill to Leeds, on arrival he had already been ventilated and his condition and treatment were already being voiced to the staff in A and E meaning his scan and treatment could start as soon as he arrived, i can not thank the staff enough for their hard work.
The police are heavily involved with my dads accident and did make two arrests as unfortunatly their is a witness to say that the accident was not actually an accident and that the driver drove into him on purpose which i feel extreamly angry about and deeply saddened.
thanks again and i will up date when possible "

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:48:42 am »
"...
The police are heavily involved with my dads accident and did make two arrests as unfortunatly their is a witness to say that the accident was not actually an accident and that the driver drove into him on purpose which i feel extreamly angry about and deeply saddened."

:o >:( >:( >:(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2013, 12:06:04 pm »
That's deeply shocking.
We chatted to John at registration, he was so full of life. GWS John we are thinking of you constantly.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »
Thanks for the update. This is terrible, best wishes again to John and family and let's hope the perpetrator(s) get the full force of the law! >:(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »
Here's John giving a speech the night before the Thorne start of LEL 2005, hard to imagine it being said better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQaMOCI_wlc

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »
Terrible, just terrible...I saw John briefly to say hi at the start. Hope he recovers ok. Thoughts and prayers are with him, it goes without saying.

« Reply #38 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:28:10 pm »
My thoughts and prayers are with John and his family.  I’ve not met John, but have read articles in Arrivee etc, and also saw his speech on Damon’s LEL DVD a few years ago, and he struck me as being a really great guy.  I’ve been thinking about him a lot these past few days.  I pray he makes a full and speedy recovery.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2013, 12:43:07 pm »
Martyn Bolt has posted on Facebook that a solidarity ride will be held on Wednesday.

Cyclists from the area are asked to join a social ride on Wednesday evening to show support for a local rider injured a week ago

John Radford, 69, of Meltham is a well known figure in the cycling community organising many events ( such as The Examiner’s annual charity cycle ride), working locally and nationally as a CTC Councillor, and organising and taking part in many events himself

John was hit by a car in New Mill last Wednesday. He had returned from taking part in the marathon London-Edinburgh-London ride on Monday evening and his solo ride on Wednesday was a steady cycle for fun.

John is currently in a serious condition in Leeds General Infirmary following the incident and police have arrested the driver and occupants of the car which hit him.

The 6.5 mile ride which will leave St George’s Square , Huddersfield at 6pm , under the name Justice for John is a way of friends and fellow cyclists showing support and solidarity for John and his family.

The ride will be led by Johns daughters Emma and Helen and a collection will be taken in Support of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance who airlifted John to hospital

If you need further details please contact martyn Bolt martyn.bolt@kirklees.gov.uk

« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2013, 05:58:25 pm »
Posted on Huddersfield CTC Website

Monday Evening.  Latest update on John Radford

John had an operation yesterday evening (Sunday) and it's gone as well as the doctors expected. He's still in a coma and is on a ventilator but it's the first step in the right direction.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:13:39 pm »
Thanks Mike!

« Reply #42 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:23:35 pm »
Fingers crossed for John.

« Reply #43 on: 05 August, 2013, 06:57:52 pm »
Thanks for the updates on John's condition.

I've ridden with him a few times, indeed we were in the same Arrow team one year, but that was when I lived up in Yorkshire. Now I only bump into him on the occasional ride (e.g. Everyone rides to Skeggy) but I always make sure we have a chat as he's such good company.

I was amazed John had the courage to start LEL 2013 despite not having fully recovered from being hit by a car earlier this year. But then John has form on that front. In 2001 he was sufering from a bursitis on the knee and yet still started LEL. I've had a bursitis on my elbow and I can tell you they are bloody painful. Yet John not only started but finished LEL that year. A very determined man.

I shall find a suitable religion and pray to its god in the hope it does John some good. In the meantime I'll simply hope for the best.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #44 on: 06 August, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »
There's an article about John in today's Huddersfield Examiner.

You can read it at
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huddersfield-cycling-champion-john-radford-5638857

Those of us who are updating various forums and facebook pages are relying on news from Huddersfield CTC members and their facebook page. I think that you will all know by now that John underwent an operation on Sunday after his condition "gave cause for concern". One of his daughters, Helen, noted last night "Just left Dad and sadly he is still critically ill. we are just praying for a miracle."

« Reply #45 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:15:15 pm »
Oh God, I hope he pulls through. I've been reading about John's exploits ever since starting audaxing years ago.
#makewattsnotwar

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #46 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:23:03 pm »
Best wishes for a full and spedy recovery!! I was on this years Brimham Rocks 200, when the family and I were down on Leeds on Holiday. John was talking to a couple of other finishers at the end about the last incident he had. Very sobering, when its someone you have met. All the best, Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #47 on: 06 August, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and soon back on the bike.

regards
Chris

« Reply #48 on: 08 August, 2013, 07:12:45 am »
Huddersfield CTC website:

Latest update on John Radford, Weds 7th August

A massive thank you from the Huddersfield & District CTC to everyone that came out on the Ride for John tonight.

John remains in a critical condition. There have been some very small but positive signs today. It will be slow going from here and we will update here on a regular basis as and when we have any news, and in more detail on our Facebook page.

I

« Reply #49 on: 08 August, 2013, 07:50:43 am »
There was a great turn out including many local CTC groups ,  VC167 and many more. My estimate would be that several hundred cyclists came along to show support for the family.
It was excellent to hear the first small indicators of positive news as well.