Author Topic: Arrivée arrived  (Read 14207 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Arrivée arrived
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:32:23 am »
I've kept meaning to send in my PBH1 report, but have lacked the necessary tuits so to do,

1 - Paris-Brest-Hostipal
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:35:38 am »
I've kept meaning to send in my PBH1 report, but have lacked the necessary tuits so to do,

1 - Paris-Brest-Hostipal

Have one on me.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:40:13 am »
Additional: I see Mr M Series of this Parish has inexplicably turned into a Mike...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:11:14 am »
Additional: I see Mr M Series of this Parish has inexplicably turned into a Mike...

The printers must have a problem with the name Martin - I have become Mark ???
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:16:42 pm »
I found out yesterday, from John Spooner, that the fella riding a 'John Spooner' bike in Arrivee was in fact riding a bike made by someone else called John Spooner.

Please refrain from chanting "One John Spooner, there's only one John Spooner" as it's just not the case.

« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:07:51 pm »
It's a shame that Tim was short of material for Arrivee. I think that a lot of this forum's RRs should be sent to Arrivee. I don't always have time to read them on this forum and they get buried and forgotten in time. This forum is a constant flow, but Arrivee is more stagnant and forgotten articles can be redicovered easily. Also, not everyon in AUK is on this forum. It's a shame that we keep them here, to ourselves and don't send them to Arrivee. It doesn't have to be a long article. I remember when Arrivee was in the A5 format and some articles were only one page.
So next time you do a RR, I hope that you consider sending a copy for Arrivee.
Otherwise, it will be flooded with my rubbish again. I have one written and may get another done for the next edition. You have been warned.

There are a few of my RRs that I could have thrown-in over the last year or so, but I've tended not to, as it's hard to know what others find interesting and less so.  I did put my PBP RR in, as that was one I was particularly happy with.  A couple of thoughts:

How about expanding the functionality of the Ride Reports sub-board here, so that readers can give a star-rating to the reports they read.  The good stuff could then be more readily identified.

How about drawing the attention of the various Arrivee eds to this place, as I'm sure there is plenty here that the original authors would be only to pleased to share if requested.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:10:44 pm »
I presume Sheila Simpson knows about this place as her partner posts here occasionally.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #32 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:12:04 pm »
I found out yesterday, from John Spooner, that the fella riding a 'John Spooner' bike in Arrivee was in fact riding a bike made by someone else called John Spooner.

Please refrain from chanting "One John Spooner, there's only one John Spooner" as it's just not the case.

This probably belongs in the Useless Facts thread, but:

John Spooner built 168 John Spooner frames between 1968 and 1993. One of them is in my garage.

There was also a time-triallist John Spooner from Stoke or thereabouts who used to get his name in Cycling Weekly. That definitely wasn't me. But the one in the picture in Cycling Weekly in January 1990 (the week after Tuggo's obituary) is me.

I make that 171 John Spooners.

[Enough John Spooners - ed]
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:15:09 pm »
How many Spohn Jooners are there?
And are any of them Reverends?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #34 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:33:19 pm »
It's good to hear I've made the hallowed pages of Arrivee, thanks to John Myerscough for taking the foties.

He's done a good job of nearly showing me in 2 foties - just my waterbottle in one and each shoulder and the tip of my head in another, hidden behind some other gadgie!  Still, an appearance in the centenary edition is an honourable experience indeed.

And with regard to the lack of articles on randonneering, I feel almost moved to write one that lays out the trials and anguishes associated with not randonneering due (in part) to a complete inability to get three small children to agree to be strapped to a bicycle frame for 12 hrs at a time.

Dr Hook said it well (paraphrase): at the age of 47, he realised he'd never, ride to Paris with the warm wind in his hair...

« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:02:20 pm »
You need look no further than the cover

(Nuncio the Cover Boy)

So Nuncio - are you John Spooners brother? Or have I got totally the wrong end of the stick. John mentioned on Sunday that his brother was on arrivée front cover.

Yes, that's me on both counts.

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »
By the look of the expression on his face, amongst the many other gadgets Maladict has attached to his steed is a potty-saddle.

« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:27:49 pm »
Gah. I hope it's there when I get home tonight. Otherwise I might have to do some of my outstanding OU assignments.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:57:54 pm »
I was very proud when I saw that I had made it to the hallowed pages of arrive; however, my wife soon brought me back to earth by berating me for wearing a cycling cap in public (she really doesn't like cycling clothing). ah bless.

« Reply #39 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:43:43 pm »

There are a few of my RRs that I could have thrown-in over the last year or so, but I've tended not to, as it's hard to know what others find interesting and less so.  I did put my PBP RR in, as that was one I was particularly happy with.  A couple of thoughts:

How about expanding the functionality of the Ride Reports sub-board here, so that readers can give a star-rating to the reports they read.  The good stuff could then be more readily identified.

How about drawing the attention of the various Arrivee eds to this place, as I'm sure there is plenty here that the original authors would be only to pleased to share if requested.

AC

I'm never always sure when I've written a good article. I still get rare comments about my American tour which I wrote about nearly ten years ago. I never thought much of it at the time and just thought that it would be  a handy filler article.
I know when I have something worth writing about. It doesn't always come from a good ride. I have lots of good rides, but they aren't all worth writing about. They are always better when there is a bit of a story involved.
Some articles, I get fed up with and don't read them. Others, I really enjoy. You can't please everyone. Some people really enjoy the articles which I don't.
Arrivee isn't at a stage when it is able to turn articles away. It is starting to get desperate for articles.
Sending Tim some photos is a very good idea too. Especially if you have the names of the people in the photos. That photo of me in the latest Arrivee is on it's second or third showing now. So he must be desperate for photos if he's willing to show my ugly mug in the mag.
Maybe we could have a photo of one of the John Spooners?
How about a John Spooner identity parade, where we have photos of various John Spooners and we have to pick our much loved dweller of bus shelters.
There used to be more short and humourous articles in Arrivee too. (Which were often written by a certain Lynn Goring, who's true identity escapes me. It could well have been one of the John Spooners. Who knows?)
If you enjoy it, then the chances are, that so will someone else.

« Reply #40 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:54:14 pm »
I have one written and may get another done for the next edition.

Excellent news, and thanks TG, again, for your writings. On here as well as in Arrivee.
Always interesting, full of good advice and humour, and very often inspirational. (Sometimes a bit like reading about Shackleton, before going out for a few hours on a "cold" day.)

I'm sure you are helping lots of people, with a very wide range of abilities, to get out there, and to increase their enjoyment. Very much appreciated!

Since typing that I've read your 9.43 post. Yes, I reckon we could usefully get less hesitant about putting articles in. Arrivee would get even better, and it's already first-class.

« Reply #41 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:04:14 pm »
Grr: "100th anniversary issue"

ITYM "100th issue. 25th anniversary."

Otherwise I look forward to reading it. I may even consider submitting something if only I could write anything even remotely interesting. :)

The other way I'd like to repay AUK this year is to offer my services to help out with an Audax, such as sitting in a cafe control (or even the roadside) for 5 hours with a stamp and a grimace smile.

Martin

« Reply #42 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:07:13 pm »
I may even consider submitting something if only I could write anything even remotely interesting. :)

how about your marvellous PBP tracking program ?; you'd probably get the soon-to-be-vacant Systems Manager post on the strength of it.

The other way I'd like to repay AUK this year is to offer my services to help out with an Audax, such as sitting in a cafe control (or even the roadside) for 5 hours with a stamp and a grimace smile.

YHPM  ;)

DanialW

« Reply #43 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »

how about your marvellous PBP tracking program ?; you'd probably get the soon-to-be-vacant Systems Manager post on the strength of it.

If someone is up to the task of giving the website an overhaul and bringing in the desired functionality, and would like to do it, I imagine the committee would jump at the offer.

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:16:40 pm »
FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the current website  :thumbsup: it's one of the most user friendly ones I visit.

« Reply #45 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:17:55 pm »
If I could commit to giving it the time it deserves I'd put my application in.

But my family, social life, job, degree, other commitments and finally my cycling, give me precious "free" time.

« Reply #46 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:19:35 pm »
FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the current website  :thumbsup: it's one of the most user friendly ones I visit.

Agreed. FF has done a fantastic job.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #47 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:44:32 pm »

I'm never always sure when I've written a good article.

When I used to write more than I do now, I found it useful to write a first draft, then leave it for a couple of months. Then I'd look at it again, and I would be looking at it through fresh eyes, as if someone else had written it, and all sorts of inconsistencies, mixed metaphors and awkward phrasing which I hadn't noticed before would become glaringly obvious. Whole paragraphs would be discarded, and new ones added. Ideas for new sections would suggest themselves The most extreme case took four years between the germ of the idea being planted and its appearance as a full-blown piece in Arrivée. You may remember it, Mr Tg. I've just reread one of the articles from about 10 years ago,, and there are plenty of things I would change - too many in-jokes for one thing, so I still don't know if I'm happy with it.

One thing has occurred to me. There was a thread elswhere with some brilliant Audax poetry. There was enough there to keep Arrivée's poetry corner going for years Just a thought.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
I presume Sheila Simpson knows about this place as her partner posts here occasionally.

Yebbut ... its in the nature of being an 'editor' that you need a surfeit of material to start with.  The Eds will not 'pull' material from here or anywhere else (they aren't researchers), they need to have it 'pushed', if only so that they know they have permission to reprint it.  There were some great ride reports and photos here (or very nearby) post-PBP, and other events - but the authors have to go that extra inch to give them to Arrivee, and we'd all enjoy the end result.

[edit] related - I think its particularly sad, if inevitable, that the Letters page has dwindled.

When I used to write more than I do now, I found it useful to write a first draft, then leave it for a couple of months. Then I'd look at it again

I did that for an article for the Arrivee that's just come out - and decided to withdraw it entirely!  So at least two hastily-assembled pages of photos are my fault ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:16:42 pm »
Could we perhaps have the last few paragraphs of TGs report I wonder?

Wotesaid; I was really getting into that (despite knowing how it ended so probably a bit like Apollo 13) when I turned the page I got Ferryside Fish Foray or somesuch  :(

How about drawing the attention of the various Arrivee eds to this place

Tim's an avid reader and he knows we are all over here now.