Author Topic: Calling all organisers  (Read 2277 times)

D0m1n1c Burford

Calling all organisers
« on: 05 June, 2008, 01:21:27 pm »
I have taken over as event organiser for the Rockingham and Rutland 100k, which runs in September.  I am looking for any advice, tips etc that you may be able to pass on.

* How do you produce your start sheet - is the AUK start sheet generator any use?
* How do you produce your result sheet - especially if there were on-the-line entries?
* Any tips for how best to process on-the-line entries? 
* Is it acceptable to ask on-the-line entrants to fill in their name/address on envelopes at the start, or should the organiser do this?

Any other tips and advice most welcome.

Re: Calling all organisers
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2008, 01:31:54 pm »
1) AUK start list is good, though less time-saving if (as possibly with a 100) you have lots of non-members.

2) It will convert to a finish sheet - add on-the-lines, remove DNFs and DNSs, print Landscape.

3) Those who contact to you in advance, tell to bring envelopes, right money, form, etc. Those who just turn up - charge extra for lack of envelopes, send them to the back of the queue if you're busy. Have some entry forms, routesheets, pens, available.

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2008, 02:40:40 pm »
Further: have a few copies of the start sheet. If you have your own people at controls it helps you and them if they have a copy.  Tick everyone off at the finish and mark their times - it saves potential hassle later when you send the results off.

Read the advice and instructions on the organisers' section of the website.

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »
Hi Dominic

You should have a mentor if you've taken over organising an event.  What happened to the last one, is he not around to pass on this sort of information.

If you haven't one, get on to the Events Sec for your area and get one sorted pronto.  Organising is hard enough without going into the job blind.

Keith

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2008, 04:25:20 pm »
I buy a box of plastic insert pages for archiving purposes. The week before the brevet I take a quiet evening and put routesheets, the brevet card and a small note to the riders in each small page. For those who pre-entered I fill in everything and allot them a starting number. Saves a lot of time and the risk of forgetting something on the day itself. Especially Since I have everything available in three languages, a complication you won't have. If you have an assistant you could make two lines/tables. One for the pre-registered riders (the easier task) and one for those who still have to enter. hte samll plastic insert pages double as routesheetprotection during foul weather.

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2008, 07:32:55 pm »
I type the info in to a spreadsheet and then merge from that to the lables for the cards.

Hide the colums that you do not want and print out a start sheet and control sheet for each control.

When the riders have set off add the entries on the line to the spreadsheet and delete the did not start. Print out the finish sheet.  Write the finish time on the sheet as there will always be a card that does not get a time written in.

Durig quiet periods at the finish calculate the Hrs and mins and write on to the card, then sort into alphabetical order, the same as the finish sheet.

50k and 100 k rides can be 100% non member so the online sheet does not have the information.  For members the information can be pulled from the online sheet and imported into a spreadsheet.

Geoff

pm me if you need more help
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:13:13 pm »
Hi Dominic

You should have a mentor if you've taken over organising an event.  What happened to the last one, is he not around to pass on this sort of information.

If you haven't one, get on to the Events Sec for your area and get one sorted pronto.  Organising is hard enough without going into the job blind.

Keith

The previous organiser was Nick Crook, but he has decided not to organise the event anymore.  He has offered me much advice by phone and email.  Not having organised an event, I'm just keen to make sure everything goes without a hitch. 

« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »
Related question: What is the recommended font for a routesheet? I have a 'raw' one I'm faffing with that I can't quite get perfect. Ta.

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2008, 01:15:56 pm »
PeterM discovered Abadi MT condensed Light which can be obtained FOC (alone of the Abadi fonts). Being moderately condensed it allows a larger point size for a given line length, and it's a nicely open and readable face.

Edit: but there are no 'official' recommendations.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2008, 03:54:06 pm »
Related question: What is the recommended font for a routesheet? I have a 'raw' one I'm faffing with that I can't quite get perfect. Ta.

Arial 12 works ok; have a search through the events that have an online route sheet (Irish Mail being one)

Re labels; I save the full list of entrants from the start sheet with addresses into notepad then export to excel then word then reach for the Hedex

Finish list, remove the DNF's add the EOL (non member names only) print to Landscape bung in post and shove it all back in the box for next year.