Author Topic: Dragon Ride  (Read 3189 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Dragon Ride
« on: 12 June, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »
Anyone up for this this weekend?

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Re: Dragon Ride
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:24:29 pm »
Aye, doing this this weekend.  I have unfinished business with this ride, since last year felt really rubbish and only did the shorter ride, still managed it in 5 hours 20, which wasn't bad, but this year feel much better about it!

Mind, having now got into Audax I kind of wish I was doing the Teifi 400Km starting at Midnight tomorrow, but in all honesty I couldn't do both (knowing how I felt after my recent 300Km) and knowing that I'd paid nearly £30 for the Dragon ride.

Here's hoping the weather is nice! At least I don't have far to travel, which is nice :thumbsup:
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:27:37 pm »
The forecast is fairly good but having walked a bit in the Brecons I'm aware how changeable it is.

I've got accomodation just round the corner from the station, quite handy as I'm bringing a bikebox (bike spaces on the train are all booked up)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
Changeable, yes, you could certainly call South Wales (or indeed British) weather that, it does seem more changeable than most places it has to be said.

Hope you're right about the forecast though, it would be nice to ride this event in really nice weather, although if it's too warm I guess hydration could be an issue, there is not exactly a lot of shade on this event, unlike the Forest of Dean I did a month or so ago, so sun protection will be a requirement (I turn like a lobster in even 18 C weather).

Completely mad number of people doing this event though.  What was strange last year was that I rode most of the event hardly ever seeing anyone (well once we'd gone up the Bwlch anyway).
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

cometworm

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2008, 04:57:30 pm »
(bike spaces on the train are all booked up)

Uh-oh. Anyone else going and have space in their car? I'm staying in Port Talbot so maybe the train there will be OK?

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »
(bike spaces on the train are all booked up)

Uh-oh. Anyone else going and have space in their car? I'm staying in Port Talbot so maybe the train there will be OK?

That was for spaces on the train that I've got an adavnce ticket for already (cheapest deal, no bike reservations left so It's a box job for me).  There could be plenty of spaces on other trains - also I didn't fancy the nightmare scenario of not being able to get back because all the spaces on my boooked train had been taken, reservations or not (happened before).

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2008, 12:02:49 am »
Well, I think the bike is all fettled for Sunday - quick ride tomorrow before boxing it up and heading for the train.  Has been treated to new tyres, first since the Etape last year.

Last year I was riding an entry level Spesh Allez in Sportives, upgraded the brakes to Dura Ace, the wheels to 105s, put decent tyres and brake pads on and did ok.

This year I've upgraded the whole chainset to 105 from the entry level stuff it came with.  Am really enjoying the easy and much smoother gear changes (especially the chainring changes).

I maybe could have been better off buying a better bike from the get go but I still get a kick overtaking someone riding my 'dream' bike on my upgraded cheapie.

It's all just transmission...

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »
I'll be there too, sporting ACF kit most likely. Managed the long one in 7.5 hrs last year, this year the aim is firmly under 7, which shouldn't be too hard as I'm fitter and the ride is shorter!

See you there.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2008, 05:37:32 pm »
Cool!

I'm number 1850.  I'll be happy with a sub eight hour time but I don't know what to expect really.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2008, 07:54:19 pm »
Finished and on way home now, was lucky to get bike on train.  Currently drinking BEER

My own provisional time (according to my bike computer) is that I completed it in 7hrs 17 mins & 23 seconds.  I'h happy with that although a lot of people passed me on the way.

I saw a Red Kite *very* close up as it swooped across the road on my way to the start this morning.

I saw Blah at the final feed station and at the finish.

Blah

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:08:37 pm »
Very nice to meet Wascally Weasel.

Managed to finish in about 6:45 chip time, 6:07 rolling time. The big difference is mainly due to waiting for a mate a fair amount. Happy, especially as I was able to push on the hills rather than just get up them like last year.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:27:33 pm »
My rolling time was about 13 minutes quicker than my estimated chip time but my lag was 'stuffing my face like a pig throughout the ride and crying out for mummy on the final hill' time.

vince

« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2008, 09:32:22 pm »
It's bloody dangerous out there - many is the time I have come close to riding off the road because I have been staring up at the sky rather than in front of me!

I saw a Red Kite *very* close up as it swooped across the road on my way to the start this morning.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:15:36 am »
I took on the shorter ride, lack of preparation, and squeezed in 4 hr 57m rolling time. Pleased nevertheless as the 'buggers' threw in an extra climb at Blackmill during my 20k sprint for the line.

No degreaser to eat this year, though.

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:24:32 am »
How long was the route?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Blah

« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:37:17 am »
Either 120 or 180km.

I didn't particularly enjoy the 1 hour queue to get started. I think this is the last year I've done the Dragon Ride. 3 times is enough.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:06:24 am »
Either 120 or 180km.

I didn't particularly enjoy the 1 hour queue to get started. I think this is the last year I've done the Dragon Ride. 3 times is enough.

Yea but the route, marshalling and the whole  start area at Pencoed is miles bettert han the Bridgend Leisure Centre. A great day out and it's on the doorstep. I'll be going for my 4th on the long ride next year.

If you want a nice leisurely start then try the Trans Cambrian in September from Rhayader.
http://www.clivepowell-mtb.co.uk/transcambriandetail.php
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:34:49 am »
It was definitely shorter than the advertised 180km to my reckoning - I was thinking I still had about three miles to go when I saw the 1km to go marker.  This was most welcome (I still had a 7 mile trip back to where I was staying anyway).