Author Topic: Irish Mail roll call  (Read 17570 times)

Irish Mail roll call
« on: 02 April, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »
Have just entered this 400k event on 31 may.  For anyone interested I have found an inn to stay at in Shrewsbury (about 4 miles from start) for £25

Details here

Would be good to meet up on the friday for a curry and beer with a few acf'rs  :thumbsup:

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Irish Mail roll call
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 05:33:13 pm »
Might well be the same inn I stayed in the night before last year's Irish Mail. Pub next door - very handy.

They didn't comment on me wheeling my bike into the room.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »
Yep; Prawn Dhansak please and six pints of Cobra :P

just don't follow me on Saturday...

I'll probably stay in the hall Friday as I'm already faced with a £42 train fare; might as well bring my new Snugpak micro sleeping bag if it's arrived by then  :-\

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2008, 02:44:25 pm »
No Blah, that was one of the Travelodges.  And the reason they didn't comment on your bike was because you had it hidden under your jacket.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
You are my memory, and I claim my £5.

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 11:39:08 am »
Definite curry meeting friday night, anyone else care to join us?

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:04:30 pm »
We're in with Tandem.  Will be travelling from Bangor, so not sure about staying over the night before.  How much was your Inn M Pumpé?

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »
Other things on that weekend. Shame, as it sounds like an excellent event.

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:13:14 pm »
We're in with Tandem.  Will be travelling from Bangor, so not sure about staying over the night before.  How much was you Inn M Pumpé?

AC

If you click the link it should give you prices, set it for 30th may. £25 per person

frere yacker

« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:23:38 pm »
I am looking forward to this one.  Rather pedantically, it allows me to link the North of Wales into my "Frere Yacker National Mesh of Audax Rides Wot I've Done".  More speculatively, I suspect the route will be stunning as it obeys my "If it goes into Wales then it will be an above average ride" rule of thumb.  I mean, how bad can a ride be that goes through the Snowdonia national park?

PS: I believe the organiser has arranged access to the hall the night before the event.  I'll be sleeping there if this remains the case.

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
Care to join Martin and I for a curry on the friday?

frere yacker

« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »
Suspect I won't get there until after 11pm, so probably not.

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 12:32:42 pm »
We're in with Tandem.  Will be travelling from Bangor, so not sure about staying over the night before.  How much was you Inn M Pumpé?

AC

If you click the link it should give you prices, set it for 30th may. £25 per person

Thanks, room booked.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:21:39 pm »
I am looking forward to this one.  Rather pedantically, it allows me to link the North of Wales into my "Frere Yacker National Mesh of Audax Rides Wot I've Done".  More speculatively, I suspect the route will be stunning as it obeys my "If it goes into Wales then it will be an above average ride" rule of thumb.  I mean, how bad can a ride be that goes through the Snowdonia national park?

The best bit IMO is between Llanuwchllyn and the Trawsffynydd  road, new to me last year. 7 or 8 arrows (all up), several gates to open and close, and a perfect surface. And this year, I'm assured, there'll be views.

Anglesey was a bit of a let down in comparison with Snowdonia - bleak and blustery, and without the waterfalls. Perhaps it'll be different this year.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:41:50 pm »
You can count me in, but will be driving to the start early on Saturday morning which is only about 30 miles for me.

I do prefer the early starts, especially as I would hope to be finished not to long after midnight, so no need to miss out on a night's sleep.

Will be recce-ing part of the route next week from Llanfyllin to Coed-y-brenin to Trawsfynydd.

Chris N

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:59:59 pm »
You can count me in, but will be driving to the start early on Saturday morning which is only about 30 miles for me.

I do prefer the early starts, especially as I would hope to be finished not to long after midnight, so no need to miss out on a night's sleep.

Will be recce-ing part of the route next week from Llanfyllin to Coed-y-brenin to Trawsfynydd.

When Jethro?  John Hamilton and I are DIYing the Mail on the 4th/5th - are we likely to see you en route?

Martin

« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:34:32 pm »
sleeping in the hall allowed according to the route sheet;

ACCOMMODATION – Basic accommodation is available in the Village Hall on the Friday night (bring your own sleeping bag and camping mat) or you can camp in the field next to the hall

best train fare from London still stubbornly £42

sorry but I don't have a good reputation for getting much sleep in Travelodges the night before a big ride.

This ride was going to be my double SR of 2007 but I (in hindsight wisely) decided to put it off for a year so the memory of the BCM would have subsided a bit. On paper it looks prettier.

DanialW

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »
I'm doing this, and I'm staying in a B&B about a mile from the start in Withington.

I may come out for curry, but knowing me I'll be fast asleep by 10. zzz

Martin

« Reply #18 on: 06 May, 2008, 01:11:08 pm »
Bump; for anyone not entirely sure about the BCM; you get all the best bits and a lot more (and almost the same number of AAAs) on this ride.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #19 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:43:36 pm »
A steady trickle of entries coming in so far. I'll be checking the route this weekend so route sheets will be sent out early next week.

The best bit IMO is between Llanuwchllyn and the Trawsffynydd  road, new to me last year. 7 or 8 arrows (all up), several gates to open and close, and a perfect surface. And this year, I'm assured, there'll be views.

Anglesey was a bit of a let down in comparison with Snowdonia - bleak and blustery, and without the waterfalls. Perhaps it'll be different this year.
The best bit of this ride is Vyrnwy to Llanberis as John S says, which is the bit with most of the climbing and all the AAA. Anglesey needs decent weather to be appreciated which we certainly didn't get last year. The earlier start time this year should allow the faster riders to enjoy Snowdonia in daylight a second time on the return leg.

Floor space in the hall or camping outside the hall available. Or a choice of two Travelodge's in Shrewsbury.

Village hall control at Glyndyfrdwy at 340k for basic sleep arrangements. And a 14.3kph lower speed limit giving an extra 1h 45mins to enjoy it. Go on, you know you want to.

Martin

« Reply #20 on: 07 May, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »
I've ordered a replacement "Moon Bag" from ebay to replace the one that's festering in Loudeac as I'll need it in Sweden next year; might take a foam mat with me too if it's hard floors only at Glyndyfrydwy.

Maladict

« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:59:26 am »
Entered.  Train booked.

Martin: I have the bag from The Dean.  Should I bring it?

« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:37:05 am »
If I did this too I could perhaps aim for an SR?  ;D

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:57:37 am »
Entered.  Train booked.

Martin: I have the bag from The Dean.  Should I bring it?

Yes please  :thumbsup:

Go for it it should be a lot easier than the BCM (return leg anyway)

« Reply #24 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:18:04 am »

I'm doing it.  Have a look at my link earlier in the thread for a cheap room in shrewsbury. Would be good to have you around  :thumbsup: