Author Topic: Irish Mail roll call  (Read 17644 times)

frere yacker

Re: Irish Mail roll call
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:31:45 pm »
I've just reminded myself of the route (an outline is on the AUK website and the route sheet can be downloaded from there as well, complete with description of what to expect on each stage).  It's going to be a corker.

This ride will be the icing on the cake for what is shaping up to be a month of exceptional riding with a distinctively Welsh bias.

Officially excited.

Maladict

« Reply #26 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:37:59 pm »
you're not alone

400; 180; 600; 300; 400

SA - Fred Whitton - Bryan Chapman - Grand Tour De Stour + DIY 100km - Irish Mail.

An epic month.  :)

frere yacker

« Reply #27 on: 08 May, 2008, 01:46:23 pm »
That's some schedule - the Fred Whitton will take something out of you.

My own is:

Brevet Cymru perm 400
Bryan Chapman 600
El Supremo 600
Irish Mail 400

Try picking a favourite out of that lot, because I can't.  Hooray for May

« Reply #28 on: 08 May, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »
400; 180; 600; 300; 400
An epic month.  :)

And SR in a month with an extra hilly "populaire" to boot!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #29 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:02:02 pm »
I've just reminded myself of the route (an outline is on the AUK website and the route sheet can be downloaded from there as well, complete with description of what to expect on each stage).  It's going to be a corker.

I've entered this into Bikely - not checked but I think it is right. Clicky

And looking at the profile, the last 80K is all downhill so it should be as easy as a 300  :)

JohnHamilton

« Reply #30 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:58:06 pm »

I've entered this into Bikely - not checked but I think it is right. Clicky

And looking at the profile, the last 80K is all downhill so it should be as easy as a 300  :)

Spot on. Not quite all downhill at the end but certainly the last significant climb is the one out of Betws y Coed. The hard bit is between Vyrnwy and Llanberis which is similar in nature to the middle 100k of The Elenith. The climbs on the way back are of the long and well graded sort (maximum gradient anywhere on the A5 is 1:20 as it was built for coach & horses).

« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:48:14 pm »
Pocket (ish) sleeping bag arrived today; I may not make it to the official Z stop.

Which did you get?

Martin

« Reply #32 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
Pocket (ish) sleeping bag arrived today; I may not make it to the official Z stop.

Which did you get?

this one; not quite the 17 x17 cm they claim (without sever strap tightening) but very light

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNUGPAK-TRAVELPAK-XTREME-LIGHTWEIGHT-SLEEPING-BAG-BLUE_W0QQitemZ300221836012QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36116QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

« Reply #33 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:41:56 pm »
17cm x 17cm x what though?

17cm x 17cm x 5cm would be fantastic.
17cm x 17cm x 200cm would be silly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »
Having observed bag advertising, I've come to the conclusion that they are implicitly cylindrical; hence specifying length+diameter is siffucient.

But it's still annoying.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:17:49 pm »
it's 17 x17 x whatever I can squash it down to before the straps bust (in practice about 25)

iakobski

« Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2008, 11:05:24 am »
OK, I'm going to put an entry in for this one.

Only thing is - how to get to the start? It's 2 hours 20 drive according to AA routefinder so that would be lieaving home around 2 am. It's shown as 194 km, so with one suitable control that's 200 km to the start, so the sensible thing to do would be ride to the start Friday night, have a kip, do the ride, sleeping at Glyndyfrdwy (345km), and a leisurely ride back. Last control shuts at 10 am, so should be home early Sunday evening, well within the time limit for a DIY 800.

Does this sound like a good plan or have I finally lost it?

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:04:30 pm »

only you can answer that question; doubling an AAA 400 is not something I would ever consider; but neither is riding more than 600k in the UK.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #38 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »
Having test ridden the route last Sunday the final version of the route sheet is now on the AUK website and will be in the post in the morning. As a result of the route check I've made a couple of amendments to the route to 1) avoid a couple of miles of the A470 and 2) miss out Beddgelert in favour of a lovely lane up Blaen Nanmor with a cracking view of Snowdon from the top before descending to Llyn Gwynant. The start time has also moved back 30mins to 6am.

Only thing is - how to get to the start? It's 2 hours 20 drive according to AA routefinder so that would be lieaving home around 2 am. It's shown as 194 km, so with one suitable control that's 200 km to the start, so the sensible thing to do would be ride to the start Friday night, have a kip, do the ride, sleeping at Glyndyfrdwy (345km), and a leisurely ride back. Last control shuts at 10 am, so should be home early Sunday evening, well within the time limit for a DIY 800.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I managed 4 1/2 hours sleep on my way round.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:30:18 pm »
OK, I'm going to put an entry in for this one.

Being 200km from the start, I urge you to try this and let us know! ;)
1 thing you might consider - work out a 100km first leg for the return. If you just enter for a 700, you'll get the same min speed as on the 800. You then have 100km in which to sleep/take it easy/have punctures/whatever without DNFing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #40 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:50:43 pm »
Sadly i will not be making this now due to a knee injury that has been giving me problems for a couple of months :(
I am going back to the docs next week to hopefully get referred to someone who knows a little bit about knees.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Martin

« Reply #41 on: 17 May, 2008, 09:54:04 pm »
in the absence of MP the beer/ curry is shelved; I will be in the hall the night before if there's a pub nearby and anyone's there before last orders. Probably driving as the new (ish) trains don't take bikes yet as the luggage vans aren't finished.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #42 on: 18 May, 2008, 09:06:25 am »
in the absence of MP the beer/ curry is shelved; I will be in the hall the night before if there's a pub nearby and anyone's there before last orders. Probably driving as the new (ish) trains don't take bikes yet as the luggage vans aren't finished.

Corbett Arms about 100yds away in the village. Good food. Can't vouch for the beer.

I sampled one of the new Wrexham & Shropshire trains last week. Speaking to the conductor whilst the luggage vans aren't finished yet they're quite happy to take bikes on board. Best bet is at the end most coach vestibules or there's a decent amount of space by the buffet. The vans are expected early July.

Martin

« Reply #43 on: 19 May, 2008, 02:36:15 pm »
Thanks; but I suspect such helpfulness will not filter through to the Jobsworths at Marylebone ticket barrier on a Friday afternoon so don't want to risk it.

another n Kg of Co2 goes skywards from the Zoommobile  :-\

« Reply #44 on: 19 May, 2008, 03:22:57 pm »
Finally got around to sending off my entry to this one today which will be my longest ride so far.

« Reply #45 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:40:48 am »
I'm avoiding looking at the forecast until I leave on Friday. It'll change so much that it is pointless worrying over.

Now I've just got to decide whether to spend the night in the Travelodge with my wife and kids, getting up early and disturbing them then having a five mile ride to the start, or get them to drop me off at the start with a small tent that they can collect at a more civilised time on Saturday.

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:46:16 am »
I've got a spare camp bed if you want to use the hall Friday night

« Reply #47 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:18:03 am »
Thanks; we have plenty of camping gear, I'm just not sure that trying to sleep in a hall with dozens of others (and presumably some people arriving during the night) will be the best way to be rested before the ride. That's why I was considering a tent outside.

But maybe I should just bring an airbed and crash in the hall - at least that way I won't oversleep!

Martin

« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2008, 06:37:20 pm »
the Beeb says sunny and 17oC on Saturday  8)

Deniece is coming too; hope she gets further than last time...

« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2008, 08:11:04 pm »
Good luck and hope it's a good one!

Sorry not to be there too.