Author Topic: Irish Mail roll call  (Read 17655 times)

frere yacker

Re: Irish Mail roll call
« Reply #75 on: 01 June, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
This was a well-planned, well-organised ride, and I hope to have another go some time.

It's on my list for 2009 - see you there  ;)

« Reply #76 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:04:56 pm »
It's a shame really.  The thought that crossed my mind in Llanberis was that we should try to finish so I could say we'd done it and never ride the road from Lake Vyrynwy to Coed y Brenin again.  Oh yes, and the road to Rhyd.  Now we have to do it again next year.

« Reply #77 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:07:12 pm »
This was a well-planned, well-organised ride, and I hope to have another go some time.

It's on my list for 2009 - see you there  ;)

Quite likely, although I can't say for sure that it will be on a tandem at this stage!   ;D

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Martin

« Reply #78 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:03:26 pm »
An excellent ride; due to the kind weather possibly my most enjoyable UK ride since last year; very tough but rewarding; full RR to follow in Arrivee; Thanks John and your willing helpers  :thumbsup:

in the meantime some photos;

the start

Lake Vyrynmy control

Matt H and Spohn Jooner

Deniece

the cafe; Stephen Poulton in blue

The climb out of Lake Vrynmy; curtains for one rider due to rear mech getting sucked into the wheel;

John and Matt on the way up to Bwlch y Groes

the photo does not do it justice; it's gobsmacking in real life.

from which Deniece Descends Delicately

you wouldn't want to do this section at night...

The Rinogs?

on the way back out of Coed-Y-Brenin

The pleasant relief of Anglesey

« Reply #79 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:15:57 pm »
wonderful photos Martin  :thumbsup:
#makewattsnotwar

Maladict

« Reply #80 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:19:45 pm »
Seconded.  Very jealous!

« Reply #81 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »
Excellent pictures, it was pissing down last year, the descents in the Bwylch area were well dodgy.

« Reply #82 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:52:18 pm »
I looked at this ride in the calendar last year and thought it sounded fantastic, especially as I used to live in Bangor 20 years ago. However, as I'd only done a couple of 200s I thought it was probably a bad idea and did Round the West Riding instead.

So, this year I had to enter.

Lying in my tent at 11pm I heard the church clock strike 11. "Hope that's not going to continue all night", I thought. Looking on the bright side, hearing the chimes every hour meant I knew I'd not overslept...

I rode with John Spooner all day (and night) and others at various times. The climb up to Lake Vyrynwy was OK, but riding along the lake with Martin and Deneice was fantastic. The weather was perfect, we were in the shade and the lake was picture postcard beautiful. The day was warming up, so the climb over the gated mountain road became a chore. I'm no mountain goat, and I don't handle heat well.  As the grades headed to 20% (according to my GPS), and the front wheel was lifting, I admitted defeat and walked some of the steepest bits (ever conscious of a lot of hilly stuff ahead and not wanting to trash my legs). I do bicycle rides, not unicycle rides :-)

The day was heating up more, and I spent a lot of time being concerned about having enough water; I drink copiously normally, and on both this stage and the one into Llanberis I was carefully rationing myself and still arrived at the controls with only half a mouthful left.

The climb up to Llanberis hurt, because I was overheating. Turning off Nant Gwynant onto Pen y pass I stopped in the shade of a tree, feeling quite faint I needed a short break to cool down, then it was actually a relief to have a headwind for the final climb; I was strong enough to push into it, and it was keeping me cool.

Pete's Eats was also an institution when I lived in Bangor 20 years ago; it's great to still have pints of coffee and good food. We met up with Andy and Jasmine there, though they left before us.

I found Anglesey to be a bit of a slog; for some reason I've never really liked cycling on the island. It's not difficult riding, just not satisfying somehow, so Tesco was welcome. It does seem like a lot of effort to spend a day on the bike riding through mountains to buy a bit of fruit and a drink at Tesco. I could nip down the road and do that :-)

Back across the island and through Bangor teaming up with Jethro and A Random One. The climb from the bridge was nothing like as bad as I remember. I was still very apprehensive about the ride beyond Bangor services; I'd never gone that way on a bike, and driving along the A5 it seems to be big, endless climbs.

I was very pleasantly surprised - it really was very easy. You know that you are going uphill, but we were riding as a two abreast pack of four chatting very easily. Past the lake as the light was failing, then the long, lovely descent into Betwys-y-Coed. There was a bit of a disappointment there as the 24 hour garage wasn't serving coffee, so we made do with some caffeinated canned drinks.

Another fairly easy long climb up out of Betwys-y-Coad, then the rolling road to Glyndyfrdwy. This seemed to go on a bit, but we were travelling at a good pace and arrived there by 2am. John and myself decided to grab a couple of hours kip, the others continued. 4am came very quickly (I suspected the controller had adjusted my watch and was having a joke when he tapped me on the shoulder). A rather nice gammon and pineapple roll sat a little queasily in my stomach as we got onto the road, but soon settled down as we rolled uneventfully back to Upton Magna (even if John did accuse me of appraising bus shelters as sleeping accomodation).

Some more food, a couple of hours sleep in the tent until my family came to pick me up, and home past the huge queues on the M54 for the air show.

It was a great ride, many thanks to John Hamilton and his team for organising and supporting us.. The only downside was struggling in the heat until evening came. Back home now I'm stiffening up a bit, but happy with how things went on my first 400.

iakobski

« Reply #83 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:56:31 am »
This has got to rank as one of the best routes ever - but also the hardest I've done. It's so varied you have to be careful with pacing: the first stage out to Lake Vyrnwy is fast, more than half  of the field must have got to the control before the official opening. Not me though, I missed a turn and ended up doing a load of extra climbing before realising  ::-)

The next two sections are the best: the mountain roads including Bwlch y Groes (Factor 10 on the wow scale) followed by an interesting route bypassing Beddgellert (once again, I went off-route and thinking I could cut back on rather than retrace added more climbing). These sections take time but there's plenty of opportunity to make up a time buffer later if you don't kill your legs on these sections.

The conditions were near perfect: it's the first time I've ever been in Wales and not had some rain at least, the wind was very light most of the time and the night was warm. You don't often get to see the top of Snowdon for more than a few seconds at a time.

The only problem was the heat: copious sweating left my skin sore in many places and I'd stupidly forgotten to pack cream: this ride doesn't pass any "civilisation" until Llanberis. This came back to bite me later: Anglesey was a pleasant ride in a totally different landscape, but the night section which should have given opportunity to recover for the last leg left me descending gingerly on the brakes the whole time and losing the group.

When I first looked at the route sheet I thought the village hall control was too near the end at about 350km, but it works really well. Welcoming helpers, huge choice of food and even airbeds available, sets you up well for the rolling last section. There was quite a gathering of yacfers here: Jethro was straight back on the road after a cuppa, John S and MattH provided background snoring  ;) and while I had 40 winks at the table, Martin arrived (Deneice reportedly having had a mechanical). After a quick kip, I limped back the arrivee cursing every pothole, having the strength in my legs but skin too sore to make the most of it. You live and learn.  :-\

All in all, this ride is highly recommended, well organised and a varied route that works really well.

Martin

« Reply #84 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:08:05 am »
while I had 40 winks at the table, Martin arrived (Deneice reportedly having had a mechanical).

Deniece did indeed have a mechaical; about half way back from Holyhead to Menai her front gear cable broke at the shifter end (Crapagnolo for you; never known one go like than on a Shimano, couldn't work out where it went in anyway even if we had a spare) I managed to improvise a middle gear by clamping the cable in the wheel skewer and tying the rest out of harm's way and she finished with just using the compact chainset. At Bangor she suggested I go ahead to get maximum sleep as I had to drive back straight after the end and she carried on with Dave.

« Reply #85 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:41:02 am »
Some more photos:

frere yacker

« Reply #86 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:25:34 am »
Seconded.  Very jealous!

Thirded.  Bonny all the way up to 11.

The pictures give an impression of the route - looking forward to the ride reports (whenever and wherever they appear) to give a sense of the experience.

alan

« Reply #87 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:34:30 pm »
I was conned have ridden that road from Vyrnwy to the top of Bwych Y Groes & the down into Bala and survived.

Is there anything on this route that is steeper?If not I may consider this ride do-able next year.

are you listening you Welsh refugees?you know who you are ;)

« Reply #88 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »
It may just be me, but I found the gated climb from Llanuwchllyn across to the A470 the more difficult of the two.

AC

« Reply #89 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:29:40 pm »
Martin & Andy - what fantastic pics. You really struck lucky with the weather.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #90 on: 02 June, 2008, 03:16:54 pm »
I was more apprehensive of the amount of climbing (5365m) than the distance when I entered for this one, but with good weather forecast, I was quite looking forward to it in the end and just had to make sure that I took it steady on the climbs between Vyrnwy and Llanberis.

Living near Wolverhampton, it was only a 30-minute drive to the start, so I was quite fresh at the beginning and pleased that I hadnt slept overnight at the start with the church bell ringing every hour.

It was a lovely quick ride across the Shropshire plains for the first 50k to Llanfyllin and then the climbing started with a long gradual climb before a fast descent to the first control at Lake Vyrnwy arriving as the control was just opening even though there were several others well ahead!

It was already getting really warm by now (08.30) so time to change into shorts and S/S top before the climb up the Bwlch-y-Groes which was the second time up it in 3-weeks (4 Rivers 200) but it doesnt get any easier, and at 545m at the summit, a fast descent followed to the shores of Lake Bala.  In no time at all, the next climb begins and was relentless with 5 gates to negotiate and was for me the hardest part of the whole course, but the views from the top were stunning and sort of made it all worthwhile.

Coed-Y-Brenin was very busy, so after a short stop to replace lost fluids from all the sweating on the climbs, I continued North on the A.470 to Trawsfynydd before turning left on to quieter roads again through Gellilydan

The road through Rhyd caught me out with another shorter but steeper climb but was nothing compared to the long gradual climb up Nant Gwynant.  Seeing an ice-cream van at the side of the road was too much to ignore as I was loosing fluids quicker than I could replace them so it was a nice rest with spectacular views of Snowdon before climbing to the summit of Pen-y-Pass and the long descent to Llanberis and 165k.

The vast majority of the climbing was thankfully now over, but together with the heat, had taken a lot more out of me than I had expected. More fluid were called for here after which I could still feel myself cramping up, then on to Bangor where I took a wrong turn adding a couple of extra miles.  The scenery was quite different riding across Anglesey and a lot flatter which helped my body to recover a little from all the climbing.

The Holyhead control was at Tesco's on the edge of the town where I was joined by John Spooner and MattH and then A Random One, and the four of us continued together and into the night just about making it to the Bangor services by dark and 272k completed.

From here it was on to the A5 which was a lot quieter than I had expected and made for a pleasent ride passing Betws-y-Coed and Corwen to the village hall control at Glyndyfrdwy (343k) where sleep was available to those that needed it. 

After 30-mins, I was keen to keep going as I was still feeeling good and not too tired by which time John Spooner and MattH were already asleep and A Random One was contemplating some sleep also.  It would only be another hour before it began to get light again and I made good time on to the finish arriving at 05.30 and very pleased with myself at completing what is probably the toughest 400 in the calendar and already looking forward to the Cambrian 600 in 4-weeks time to complete my first SR.

Congratulations to eveyone else that finished and to the team of volunteers and the organiser that made this event possible.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #91 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »

The climb out of Lake Vrynmy; curtains for one rider due to rear mech getting sucked into the wheel;

That was John Perrin, whose derailleur got into an argument with his spokes and lost. After shortening his chain he rode back to Upton Magna.

the photo does not do it justice; it's gobsmacking in real life.

I particularly like that bit. You've climbed up what seems like a significant climb from Vyrnwy and as you near what appears to be the summit the valley just opens up to your left showing the full horror of the Dark Side of the Bwlch and it dawns on you that actually, you've just come up the easy way.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #92 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:32:35 pm »
It does seem like a lot of effort to spend a day on the bike riding through mountains to buy a bit of fruit and a drink at Tesco. I could nip down the road and do that :-)

Nowhere is the phrase 'To travel is better than to arrive' more apt than a journey to Holyhead.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #93 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:40:56 pm »
I was conned have ridden that road from Vyrnwy to the top of Bwych Y Groes & the down into Bala and survived.

Is there anything on this route that is steeper?If not I may consider this ride do-able next year.

are you listening you Welsh refugees?you know who you are ;)

It may just be me, but I found the gated climb from Llanuwchllyn across to the A470 the more difficult of the two.

AC

The climb up the Eunant isn't too bad apart from a couple of steep pitches near the bottom and the final bit up to the summit of the Bwlch - which is about as steep as it gets on the route.

The Llanuwchllyn-Trawsfynydd road is definitely harder, as it's got more ascent in total (you're already a fair way up by the time you get to Vyrnwy) and there are more steep sections which go on for longer.

The trick is not to worry about how long this bit is taking but to get over it at a sensible pace without wrecking yourself. Once you've got to the top of Pen y Pass you've done all the significant climbing bar the two well graded runs on the A5 and you can make up that time on the remaining 250k.

« Reply #94 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:49:13 pm »

The Llanuwchllyn-Trawsfynydd road is definitely harder, as it's got more ascent in total (you're already a fair way up by the time you get to Vyrnwy) and there are more steep sections which go on for longer.

The trick is not to worry about how long this bit is taking but to get over it at a sensible pace without wrecking yourself.

I remember last year slipping my chain when engaging my grannie (you know what I mean) before one of the steeper sections.  I had been in a group of 6 or 7 and as I sorted it I could see the group slowly being engulfed by the mist and rain as it crawled up the hill.  I had to step on it and steam up at about, oh, 3.5 mph to catch up, but when I did, never have I felt so much relief in regaining a group.  Nor have I felt so much bike camaraderie, despite the total absence of chat, as we grimly climbed on-and-on, huddled together against the wind and rain.  Bet you didn't get that with your sunshine.  On the other hand, the views look better.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #95 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:44:46 pm »
Full organiser's report...

As I rode round the route 3 weeks ago, in conditions just as hot and with even less wind than last weekend my thoughts were that this was probably going to mean you were going to end up with a repeat of last years conditions. In the event the weather could hardly have been better this year.

Despite the weather in 2007 it looked like the event was a good one, and would be worth putting on again. Ken Knight of the Long Mynd rides foolishly volunteered to man an overnight control and the hall at Glyndyfrdwy was duly hired to break up the 90+k stage on the A5. The only question then was how many would come in post PBP year. In the event I needn't have worried as a steady stream of entries flowed in. The 38 entries was somewhat whittled down by colds, flu and other post-BCM ailments though resulting on only 29 actually turning up.

A good number took advantage of the overnight facilities on Friday night where they could choose from being kept awake by either snoring (inside) or the church clock (outside). My plan for Saturday was to set off as soon as possible after the start with the intention of jumping ahead whilst the riders got their beans on toast fix at the first control so that I could take some photos. A phone call at 06:05 from a late starter kind of threw a spanner in that plan and it was 06:30 before we got away, and with the first leg being so fast we weren't going to make up that time even on the tandem. On the final climb up to the dam at Vyrnwy I could see there were riders still at the cafe though so I managed to get shots of a few of the back markers:

Martin & Deneice

Deneice with MattH & John Spooner in background

MattH & John Spooner

Photos duly taken it was time to head back to the cafe for our second breakfast, then a gentle ride home via the Tanat valley for a couple of hours kip and Doctor Who before heading back to the start to prepare for the finish. On the way we debated whether we'd manage a decent finishing record this year. Followed shortly by a spate of calls to my mobile as a total of 6 abandoned.

Last year I had a very long wait until nearly 4am for anyone to turn up. I was expecting better this year - 2am was my estimate. So I wasn't quite expecting it when the first two appeared just before midnight.  The majority of times weren't significantly faster though - clearly everyone was being seduced by Ken's hospitality at Glyndyfrdwy. The spread of riders returning through the night meant that it wasn't worth trying to get any sleep myself. Steve and Louise Massey became the first tandem finishers with a very respectable time (Andy & Jasmine the gauntlet has been laid down). Deneice has the honour of being first (and only) solo lady so far. We've now had tandems, trikes and fixed complete the event - it only remains for a recumbent to make it round.

With all 23 finishers safely home it only remained to pack up, get everything in one of the helpers cars and then a very slow ride home, to spend the rest of the day catching up on sleep. A more than average amount of coffee was required at work this morning. Having done both it's definitely harder organising these long rides.

Well done to everyone who rode what is a tough event and thanks for all the positive feedback. Wrekin to Sea next...

Martin

« Reply #96 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
as cycling plays a minor part in these events to me behind filling my face and admiring the view I thought I'd do a bit of research into the Britannia railway bridge which we got a pylon-obstructed view of on the outward leg to Holyhead and has been abortionised since the original spans burned down or rather buckled in the heat in 1971; it seems that having pandered to the petrolheads by building a car deck over the modern railway span they have now dicovered that it is too busy and are thinking of replacing the rest of the original structure with more concrete carbunkle to add an extra two lanes to the A55 :(

Britannia Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Reply #97 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:56:54 am »
There are several suggested plans for increasing the capacity of the Britannia Bridge.  I think the reasoning to do something is because it is a European trunk road (it goes to Holyhead and therefore Ireland) and is in fact the only stretch of European trunk road in Britain not dual carriageway. What is shocking is that the favoured idea is to create a new box bridge in the SSSI.  It does get busy sometimes during peak areas, but the road only goes to Holyhead where they get to sit in a queue to get on the ferry.

Besides, I can't imagine anyone would want to actually go to Holyhead

« Reply #98 on: 04 June, 2008, 12:27:15 pm »
There was a call for a rail tunnel to Eire a few years ago as they are now the only country in the EU without a fixed link to the continent since Eurotunnel and the ones across Zeeland and to Sweden; presumably Eire's main sea route to the EU is via Roscoff now?

<Further OT>
There seems to be a lack of joined up thinking with regards travel to Ireland.  On a recent visit we heard that thay are scrapping the fast cat service from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire as the advent of cheap flights has effectively put them out of business...

AC