Author Topic: The tennis...  (Read 86552 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The tennis...
« Reply #650 on: 08 July, 2022, 05:55:16 pm »
Double boo: Novaxx in the final.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #651 on: 10 July, 2022, 02:11:36 pm »
Here we go...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #652 on: 11 August, 2022, 09:50:54 am »
Well done Jack Draper. On another note, how long before Andy Murray retires, after yet another first round loss to lowly opposition, and on his favourite surface too.  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #653 on: 25 August, 2022, 04:29:17 pm »
Djokka cannot travel to the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62679272

Never mind....
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #654 on: 31 August, 2022, 08:08:53 am »
To absolutely no-ones surprise, Emma Radecanu will now assume her rightful place in the rankings (actually somewhat higher than I expected) at 80, 2 places higher than Hannah Dart, who has the change later today to overtake her and become Britains No. 1 ranked female player.

And if Cam Norrie wins his next 2 matches (certainly a possibility) he'll jump above Djokovich in the rankings.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #655 on: 31 August, 2022, 04:00:13 pm »
Maybe ER will do an Annabel Croft: throw in the towel at 21 and relaunch "Treasure Hunt"?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #656 on: 31 August, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
Maybe ER will do an Annabel Croft: throw in the towel at 21 and relaunch "Treasure Hunt"?

Yep - ER did seem to be a possible flash-in-the-pan with the US open last year ... perhaps all the "face of . . . " endorsements will fade away. 

Hopefully she'll get it all back together, although she does seem to go through coaches at a rate?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #657 on: 31 August, 2022, 05:42:31 pm »
She seems to have an extraordinary ability to assess an opponent and change her style to beat that opponent. I would guess that one of the reasons she did so well last years was that her own game wasn't that well known. Now she is well above the parapet that's not the case any more.

Sh'e got quite a few £m so not playing much probably wouldn't affect her that much.

« Reply #658 on: 01 September, 2022, 11:22:32 am »
I would guess that one of the reasons she did so well last years was that her own game wasn't that well known. Now she is well above the parapet that's not the case any more.

This is certainly a factor, as is her (relative) lack of fitness and strength, although at last year's Wimbledon she was dreadful (I was at the match where she broke down, but prior to that she'd shown no finess whatsoever - nor had her oppoonent, it was a typical low-ranking slug-fest).

Murray struggled in the first set against Nava until he'd sussed his opponents game.

ER has just hired a Russian coach - who split with his previous charge in part because of difficulties getting visas to travel. We'll see how that works out.

I think she'll do better than Croft, and I think she'll benefit from being a bit lower profile next year. And as noted, prize momey isn't that critical when you've got $17million in endorsements.

Anywa, go Cam & Dan - and Jack Draper who had a fantastic result over Auger-Alliasime.

« Reply #659 on: 15 September, 2022, 04:22:00 pm »
The end of an era.  Thank you, Roger.

« Reply #660 on: 15 September, 2022, 05:04:44 pm »
Indeed. I try to live my life so as not to have any regrets, but one I do have is that, despite living in Wimbledon, I never got to see him play. I doubt there will ever be as elegant and effective player as him again.

My daughter (who was lucky enough to be picked for a tennis coaching program at the AELTC) called it right, watching Federer play tennis, it's like he's already played each point.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #661 on: 15 September, 2022, 05:34:25 pm »
RF retirement defo on the cards for a while - a true great of the game.  That back hand...

RE. ER's form, contrast with Carlos Alcaraz, both 19yrs. CA has an apparently has a well functioning, tight knit team, including family and former grand slam winner & world no 1 (JCF), unfortunately ER seems to  be missing this.

« Reply #662 on: 15 September, 2022, 07:22:47 pm »
RF retirement defo on the cards for a while - a true great of the game.  That back hand...

RE. ER's form, contrast with Carlos Alcaraz, both 19yrs. CA has an apparently has a well functioning, tight knit team, including family and former grand slam winner & world no 1 (JCF), unfortunately ER seems to  be missing this.

Alcaraz was ranked 55 last year at the US, ER was around 180. She had a fluke run she couldn’t possibly live up to. Typically flaky performance today. She’ll be outside the 100 soon I think. She was (relatively) rubbish at Wimbledon, and remains so.

« Reply #663 on: 24 September, 2022, 09:40:31 am »
I was quietly hoping for better things for Radacanu, as she managed to win 3 in a row at the Korean  open. And took the first set off Ostapenko, the first seed, in the semi. Then midway through the second set, the dreaded and all-too-regular medical time-out. She then lost 6 games in a row and retired from the match. It’s hard to see beyond “must work harder” for her atm.

« Reply #664 on: 24 September, 2022, 12:42:47 pm »
I was quietly hoping for better things for Radacanu, as she managed to win 3 in a row at the Korean  open. And took the first set off Ostapenko, the first seed, in the semi. Then midway through the second set, the dreaded and all-too-regular medical time-out. She then lost 6 games in a row and retired from the match. It’s hard to see beyond “must work harder” for her atm.

I think pushy dad and the constant changing of trainers are factors. It is sad really as she has tremendous talent.

« Reply #665 on: 21 October, 2022, 06:30:59 pm »
I'm sure many people have suspected drug-taking in tennis. The link reports
that (grand slam winner) Simona Halep sanctioned for taking a banned drug.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/63347377

« Reply #666 on: 17 January, 2023, 12:41:48 pm »
A good first round result for Andy Murray at the Australian Open.

« Reply #667 on: 19 January, 2023, 07:36:15 pm »
And a good second round too  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #668 on: 19 January, 2023, 11:08:46 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #669 on: 20 January, 2023, 12:12:25 am »
Just watched a replay of the match on Eurosport. That was quite something,

« Reply #670 on: 06 April, 2023, 08:57:23 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the match! Actually, I'm a big fan of table tennis and always enjoy watching the pros play.

One thing that always stands out to me is how important the serve is in table tennis. It's the only shot in the game that is completely under the server's control, so getting it right can really make a difference.

In fact, there are many different types of serves in table tennis, each with its own unique spin and placement. Some players prefer to use a lot of spin to throw off their opponent, while others rely on speed and placement to win points.

Of course, there are also rules that govern how the serve must be performed. For example, the ball must be tossed at least 6 inches in the air before being struck, and it must be hit so that it bounces once on the server's side of the table and once on the receiver's side of the table.

« Reply #671 on: 17 April, 2023, 01:20:11 pm »
And it has to be tossed from a flat palm of your hand without imparting spin on the ball and without being obscured from the opponent.

« Reply #672 on: 04 June, 2023, 06:00:30 pm »
How good is Alcaraz..?   :o

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #673 on: 04 June, 2023, 06:13:56 pm »
Hopefully good enough to win the lot.

« Reply #674 on: 04 June, 2023, 09:21:13 pm »
Could well be a Djokovic v Alcaraz semi-final.

ETA.  Arguably the 2023 'final'...