Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462324 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #21050 on: 18 September, 2020, 01:29:29 pm »
Today after being closed passed to the point the wing mirror brushed my handlebars going through a restriction on the road; and yeah I may have flicked the bird.

Look captain Gammon, given I've just watched you take almost 5 minutes to get out of your car to remonstrate with me (and I did just think about riding off), what do you think will happen if you attempt to do the things you suggest you might to teach me a lesson.   I'm younger, fitter, and don't get out of breath standing up, plus I'm armed with a whopping kryptonite new york lock which will if I desire it introduce your teeth to the pavement without you. Then having stopped you from attacking me your precious car keys would be heading off for a holiday down the nearest drain cover, obviously I would have to turn off the shitty car with one bald tyre you've left running.

Thankfully given you had to have a little rest from talking too much, I told you to go fuck yourself and rode off. Flooring your car in first was funny though, it still sounded shit.

I fucking hate shitty gammon drivers.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #21051 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:15:51 am »
Cycling along Croydon road. Husband is behind me.

White van passes him, then toots and shouts at me while squeezing between me and oncoming traffic. I'm holding a secondary position because I've resolved to dive for the gutter less (I'm always reviewing how I ride and have been wondering if all the close passes I get can be prevented) and it seems he took issue with this, because my husband got no tooting or abuse.

It was ever so considerate of him to have a go at me and not my husband because guess which one of us runs cameras?

I can't be bothered to report every single close pass because round here they are just too common, but if drivers would like to make sure I do, then hooting and shouting is an excellent way to ensure I'll make time.

« Reply #21052 on: 03 October, 2020, 12:20:22 am »
Wasn't half windy on the way home this pm.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #21053 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:16:52 pm »
Not on the commute today but yesterday: 

Decided that the forecast warranted the use of the cape that I bought in the Aldi aisle of wonder some 10 years ago and then immediately forget all about until a colleague recently started using one on his Brompton.

Not bad at all. During my 7 mile route home in torrential rain I had some water ingress around the neck but I think any outer layer would have leaked a bit in that weather.  Most impressive was the fact that the tops of my work trousers remained bone dry.

« Reply #21054 on: 14 October, 2020, 01:57:58 pm »
My legs have submitted a formal grievance.  Not sure why, but they now consider that this whole commute thing is bullshit.  HR has filed their grievance in the bin and I have got the strike-breakers at hand but the situation gives me pause.

« Reply #21055 on: 20 October, 2020, 05:03:21 pm »
I actually cycled to work today.
It seemed a bit hard. Saturdays 60-odd km and the 35mph winds might have had something to do with that.

(Internet connection at home is down to 0.5Mb download)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21056 on: 22 October, 2020, 02:42:46 pm »
Back commuting again on the bike. Once a week.

What a difference it makes. The route is horrible though due to civics works shutting the cycle route

« Reply #21057 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:13:53 pm »
Got to the first junction on the commute home today, and found I couldn't unclip my left (The foot I normally put down) shoe...  :o :o :o

I decided to head back to work where I could access lights and tools, but then I managed to get it released, sort of...  :facepalm:

(Photo taken when I had managed to lever the cleat and plate out of the pedal after getting home)  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21058 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:19:35 pm »
I think that one is a goner!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21059 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:04:05 pm »
Oh well - I can remember wearing them when doing the 'Cycling Plus jersey relay"...  :o

How long ago was that?  ::-)

...and they are not even my oldest, or most frequently used cycling shoes (I was using the first SPD shoes I bought in 1988, every day this year, up to Lockdown Version 1)  :D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21060 on: 02 November, 2020, 08:14:01 pm »
I have a picture of the jersey dated June 2005.

« Reply #21061 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:51:55 pm »

I thought we had all migrated to ACF by then...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #21062 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:16:44 pm »

I thought we had all migrated to ACF by then...

Probably, I meant it would've been before that date.

Chris S

« Reply #21063 on: 04 November, 2020, 11:35:56 am »

Heh. #1 son managed to do something like that once, when grimping a fixed gear bike up a hill in Belgium. On an upstroke, he tore the cleat clean out of the sole of his shoe, leaving it behind in the pedal still attached to a bit of shoe.

« Reply #21064 on: 05 November, 2020, 01:01:17 pm »
Monday: hmmm, tyres seem squashy...
Tuesday morning: check pressure, <10PSI @ the rear and a couple PSI (not measurable on the scale) at the front.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21065 on: 06 November, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »
Did what will probably be my last commute of the year on Wednesday.  Only went into London as I had a pre-booked flu jab organised through my firm.  Traffic was diabolical on the way back, everyone seemed to be heading out to celebrate their 'last night of freedom' in close proximity to other people doing the same'.  Richmond Park was almost deserted at 6.45pm.  Too many temporary traffic lights on the way back plus the usually suffering on the Machiavellian traffic lights on the A30 through Camberley that are clearly designed to persuade car drivers that they should be on the M3 meant that the cold got into my legs.  That meant I was racing snails past Blackbushe Airport.  The descent of Star Hill somehow sparked me back into life and I was home right on the margin of what I'd promised Mrs CET, which I'd thought was a hopeless conservative estimate.  However, will be up for doing it again at the first opportunity of lockdown lifting.  The ability to actually walk past a desk and have a random conversation with a colleague rather than a video image was more than worth the long slow ride home.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21066 on: 06 November, 2020, 07:07:57 pm »
That brought back some memories. It's three years since I last did pretty much the same commute (surprised it was so long ago - I just checked on my GPS logs), six since I was doing it regularly. It's a surprisingly nice ride, just a bit long to be doing it every day. Very good for keeping fitness up though!

« Reply #21067 on: 07 November, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »
 Cycling home in the dark, thinking my light was no good and I need an upgrade.  Then I noticed it was pointed directly at the front tyre.  Much better now.

« Reply #21068 on: 09 November, 2020, 06:41:52 pm »
25 miles cycled home in the dark, and pouring rain. At one point I think scuba gear would have been a better choice than a bike.

It wasn't too bad though, it wasn't cold apart from the last bit and my jacket, if not keeping me dry, at least kept the worst off. I need to order some more kit though as I don't think my jersey will quite be dry for tomorrow.

Hot bath tonight I think, my legs are feeling it and this is only day one of three in a row at the office.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #21069 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:50:40 pm »
Dark and damp ride home (I drove in and abandoned my car there). It was only spitting rain, but the roads were wet so I was getting a bit of spray on my feet that got around my mudflap. It was my first ride in the dark for ages as well as first commute. It was very pleasant, with drivers being courteous and careful on overtakes. I was lucky that I only ended up with damp shoes, not wet feet, as I'd forgotten my overshoes to keep spray off. Surprisingly fast too, even though I wasn't pushing hard - only slightly slower than normal commutes pre-accident.
Out of saddle climbs are still a challenge, I'm not so much Fred Astaire dancing lightly on the pedals as Bez (from Happy Mondays).

« Reply #21070 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »
Today's was notable for its smoothness and efficiency without use of a car. My usual commute in company van is on the A12 which they've shut for roadworks. Fearing chaos decided to let the train take the strain with folding bike either end.

Left home 0700, made it onto 0709 train when was expecting to get a later one but train was so quiet didn't matter I had to fold the bike once on. Think train journey was about 12 minutes then a cycle other end to roll up to work at 0737. The bulk of the ride was on very quiet shared use paths till these had too many dismount signs so onto wide road for a bit till bus lanes became available when I had my own personal lane

If only greener transport options were always this seamless

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #21071 on: 13 November, 2020, 02:26:11 pm »
If only greener transport options were always this seamless
Amen.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #21072 on: 16 November, 2020, 11:25:57 am »
Slept badly so was ahead of myself and had to wait for the train this morning which was 3 minutes delayed but then found a bus lane I could use which saved me most of that back on the from station to work cycle. Think I might be missing something with the actual cycle paths but roads plenty wide enough to just go on if needed

On the way home Friday flying along in a bus lane that ends but it has a massive dropped kerb straight onto the cycle path. It's actually like someone knew what they were doing

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21073 on: 17 November, 2020, 08:46:36 am »
Riding like a god with a nice tail wind on the A264 dual carriageway, I clock a 4 x 4 off my right shoulder.  Good stuff, he's hanging back to get a wide pass.  After a few seconds he pulls past me, not very wide after all. And, I guess, forgets he's towing a GBFO trailer. The sort that is as wide, if not wider than the towing vehicle.

Dear readers, it was  >< this close to me, or so it seemed. Loud BAd Swears rent the air and I unleashed my inner Cavendish to try to chase him down but he got away. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #21074 on: 17 November, 2020, 10:05:25 am »
I had that once, and was then struck by a stray branch poking out on my side of the trailer.

However,my Cav was sufficiently fast and I caught the twat up and gave him a mouthful.

He was suitably (and surprisingly) contrite.
Rust never sleeps