Author Topic: Have you set you club up as a CIC?  (Read 2036 times)

Have you set you club up as a CIC?
« on: 04 June, 2019, 02:49:36 pm »
Hello, it looks like my cycle club needs  to change  from being an unincorporated body to an incorporated body. In this case, become  a community interest company. The change in  status is being  driven by our having to sort out the ownership of some land the club holds.

Having done some research, it doesn't look like many cycling  clubs  have needed to  do this . Indeed,  we would like to avoid  doing so, if it weren't for our "ownership " of a Hut.

So, has  any one on here done this for their cycle club or another body.

What was it like?

Did you use Lawyers , accountants or both to set up your CIC.

I should add  the BC is of no help what so ever but that Sport England , the FA and other  sport governing bodies where clubs are more likely  to own property or whose events  are more commercial have been sources of useful advice.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Have you set you club up as a CIC?
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2019, 12:36:20 pm »
Presumably there are benefits to the CIC arrangement over forming a limited company which then becomes dormant?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

rr

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2019, 02:02:31 pm »
Many mountaineering clubs own huts, you could have a look at how they organise it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

rob

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2019, 04:35:46 pm »
We became a limited company last year.  Most of the expertise was within the club, though.

You’ll need some accountancy advice for setting up the company, although you can buy them off the shelf.  Suggest you’ll need lawyers for the property bit.