Author Topic: End of compact cameras  (Read 7141 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: End of compact cameras
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2023, 09:55:33 am »
After my brother's wedding, the guests were invited to upload their digital pics to a DropBox folder. One of the guests didn't realise why there were loads of random photos appearing in his DropBox so he just deleted them. He had no idea he had deleted everyone's contributions.

Luckily there's a rollback feature that can be applied by the owner of the account.

« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2023, 09:44:20 pm »
Apparently compact digital cameras from the 2000s are popular with a certain demographic and prices are rising.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 24 March, 2023, 12:54:49 am »
Aye but they buy them for the same reason hipsters bought knock offs of soviet plastic lensed cameras

Because they're shit.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 24 March, 2023, 03:32:51 pm »
Can confirm, my TikTok and whoknowswhatelse obsessed 16 year old wants 'a small camera because they're awesome and some of my friends have one'. 

- But the photos will be much worse than your phone. 
 - No they won't, you dont understand.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #29 on: 24 March, 2023, 04:41:15 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 25 March, 2023, 10:35:09 am »
This old git still appreciates his 2015 Canon G5X Mark I :thumbsup:

https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_g5_x/

Can only see one thing in that ad that I don't like - the word "touchscreen".  Horrible things.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #31 on: 25 March, 2023, 10:45:31 am »
This old git still appreciates his 2015 Canon G5X Mark I :thumbsup:

https://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/powershot/powershot_g5_x/

Can only see one thing in that ad that I don't like - the word "touchscreen".  Horrible things.

Me too, that's why I have it turned OFF :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 26 March, 2023, 09:37:44 pm »
After my brother's wedding, the guests were invited to upload their digital pics to a DropBox folder. One of the guests didn't realise why there were loads of random photos appearing in his DropBox so he just deleted them. He had no idea he had deleted everyone's contributions.

Luckily there's a rollback feature that can be applied by the owner of the account.

After my niece's wedding (last one I attended) we were invited to upload to a wedding photo service of some kind. The assumption was that you only took photos on a phone (I use a camera, luddite that I am) and when we discovered that it involved signing up and setting pass words my wife handed the job to me, except that we couldn't agree on a pass word and that settled that! I passed my photos to the bride on a smart card!

Aye but they buy them for the same reason hipsters bought knock offs of soviet plastic lensed cameras

Because they're shit.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

And now there's a complete industry selling the modern over-priced equivalents (complete with manufacturing defects engineered in) to the unsuspecting masses, complemented by the pinhole revolution. Except that some of the (cheap?) Lomography products don't get appreciated at their (un)true unworth and end up on Le Bon Coin (Gumtree for you lot) being sold cheaply by disgusted neophytes who didn't read the small print that explained how they were buying a shit part of history!

Can confirm, my TikTok and whoknowswhatelse obsessed 16 year old wants 'a small camera because they're awesome and some of my friends have one'. 

- But the photos will be much worse than your phone. 
 - No they won't, you dont understand.

Well, in some ways I'm on her side, it's a bit about what she expects and wants from an image recording machine. My daughters had fun using their Nintendos to take and modify photos of all their family and friends. Although I'm surprised they are into compacts, my daughters(who are just a bit older) are into Instax in various formats, even Phil, who has a Nikon DSLR which she bought before the Instax! It's all about expectations and how you view the image afterwards!
Try telling her that she needs to set a trend and 12x20 is where it's at! Or that small may be cool but even though you can get the Works of Shakespeare on a postage stamp it's not the best thing for bedtime reading.

FWIW I like my Lumix (DMC-TZ82, another 4/3) but yesterday on the ride I took a baby Fuji supermarket camera for the digital stuff, which shares a bag with a Nikon RF2. Even with spare film and batteries for the Nikon there was less weight around my neck than the Lumix (the Fuji would fit in a back pocket but I don't like the lens getting steamed up with condensation every time I want to take a photo and I find round the neck with a waist restrainer more convenient than a barbag - especially when I don't take a barbag). The phone - it's on a bar mount being a gps and too much hassle taking it out of the rubber mount, selecting photo and then putting it back and reselecting RWGPS!

ETA and I now have the Brownie 620 Model D loaded with Fomapan 200 waiting for some fine days (the miracle of learning how easy it is to trim a 120 spool to fit the loaded side, still with a 620 spool for the take up!). Looking forward to contact printing 6x9 - strangely enough it's the same size pretty much as some of the instant stuff in the house, I think the Zoe Mini might be smaller. Photo taking is as much about what you want out of the experience as it is about perfection!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #33 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:06:20 pm »
ETA and I now have the Brownie 620 Model D loaded with Fomapan 200 waiting for some fine days (the miracle of learning how easy it is to trim a 120 spool to fit the loaded side, still with a 620 spool for the take up!). Looking forward to contact printing 6x9 - strangely enough it's the same size pretty much as some of the instant stuff in the house, I think the Zoe Mini might be smaller. Photo taking is as much about what you want out of the experience as it is about perfection!

Ooh so I'm not the only box camera shooter here.

I've got a 620-B I like using because it's got 3 apertures, focus lenses, a yellow filter and bulb mode. The only thing it's missing is a remote socket.
I bought a much more recent Agfa with all of that plus the remote socket and have got round to doing precisely no photography on it, much more fun winding rolls off of 120 and onto 620. (I can't be bothered with the trimming)

« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2023, 09:12:58 pm »
I'd not actually fully appreciated this until recently.  It seems that the major camera manufacturers no longer produce compact cameras at all.

Not quite "at all" - Fujifilm still produce the excellent X100

Correction - claim to produce. They have totally underestimated demand, the next time the X100 is likely to be actually available is 2024.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.