Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 65177 times)

Re: Heating on?
« Reply #400 on: 04 December, 2022, 06:18:23 pm »
Beating is on and is working well as always.  The hot water seems to have started to run mor would warm than hot recently.  Turning the temperature control on the boiler to max indicates 80 degrees but the food thermometer shows 35 degrees.

Appointment with engineer booked for tomorrow morning.  I was surprised to be able to just get an appointment without declaring it an emergency and incurring a whacking fallout or standby charge or whatever they call it.  We'll get a boiler service and a repair hopefully.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #401 on: 04 December, 2022, 07:02:19 pm »
Finally caved in after the midday temperature in the Estate Office was below 13C.  12.8, according to the thermometeroid, which is its coldest ever :jurek:  Kitchen and Great Hall rads hot to the top; bathroom one required some attention from my old mucker Mr 22mm Socket.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #402 on: 04 December, 2022, 07:54:20 pm »
Beating is on and is working well as always.  The hot water seems to have started to run mor would warm than hot recently.  Turning the temperature control on the boiler to max indicates 80 degrees but the food thermometer shows 35 degrees.

Appointment with engineer booked for tomorrow morning.  I was surprised to be able to just get an appointment without declaring it an emergency and incurring a whacking fallout or standby charge or whatever they call it.  We'll get a boiler service and a repair hopefully.
My hot water takes an age to heat up these days.  The cylinder (1989 vintage) is probably full of scale but the next owner can change the bugger.  Likewise the boiler - BG keep trying to sell me a new one as some inconsequential and non-failure prone spare part is unavailable now, but it's A-rated, condensing, and it is only really used for hot water, so it doesn't have a hard life.  Also, it hasn't gone wrong and I bet a new one would!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #403 on: 06 December, 2022, 07:45:05 pm »
Finally decided to give the heating a blast tonight - it's getting cold now (and supposed to be colder in the coming days).

rogerzilla

« Reply #404 on: 07 December, 2022, 09:47:43 am »
I gave it a rare run this morning because I'm going out later, so no point in lighting the stove.

I was amazed that the conservatory radiator worked.  It has one of those 1980s Danfoss TRVs that jams in summer.  Despite egg-frying temperatures this summer, it hasn't stuck!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #405 on: 07 December, 2022, 10:36:13 am »
Just realised the heating is on. Checked the magic thermostat. 14C.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #406 on: 07 December, 2022, 11:05:31 am »
We have a wireless thermostat, that gets moved about sometimes. Yesterday I spotted that it was sat in the afternoon sun claiming 24C :rollseyes:

« Reply #407 on: 08 December, 2022, 11:58:58 pm »
Heating off for now.  -5.5C outside atm - looks like coldest in UK; Benson reg'd -6C earlier.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #408 on: 09 December, 2022, 12:07:25 am »
My smart meter ihd was in a reboot cycle, it is working again, I wish it wasn't...

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #409 on: 09 December, 2022, 08:33:06 am »
My central heating turns itself on a lot outside of the two programmed set-up times.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #410 on: 09 December, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
My central heating turns itself on a lot outside of the two programmed set-up times.

Frost stat?

« Reply #411 on: 09 December, 2022, 05:16:00 pm »

Frost stat?
What do you mean?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #412 on: 09 December, 2022, 05:25:44 pm »
A separate thermostat, usually set to a little above zero, that overrides the usual controls and forces the heating to come on when it gets cold enough that there's a risk of pipes freezing.  Normally the sort of thing that you have when the boiler is installed in an outbuilding.

« Reply #413 on: 09 December, 2022, 06:02:36 pm »
A separate thermostat, usually set to a little above zero, that overrides the usual controls and forces the heating to come on when it gets cold enough that there's a risk of pipes freezing.  Normally the sort of thing that you have when the boiler is installed in an outbuilding.
Ahh, that is probably it. Thanks for the explanation. Mind you, I'd rather have that and the extra
heating cost* than having to deal with burst pipes.

*As noticed on the smart meter.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #414 on: 09 December, 2022, 06:23:53 pm »
Mine was turning itself on outside the prescribed time too. I had a gander at the app which has half hourly data such as desired temperature, actual temperature and percentage boiler activity. A bit surprised to see the night time desired temperature was a whole lot higher than that shown on the time slot. I tweaked the nighttime temperature by 0.5 C to force a rescan and all was well
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #415 on: 09 December, 2022, 07:16:53 pm »
Broken again....

Frostat is usually 7 or 8 I thought

Googled it, 5 on a TRV

Frost setting on my 'lectric thing is 7

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #416 on: 30 January, 2023, 04:19:53 pm »
Heating is not on today, as spring has sprung, though I expect it might go on in the evening. It might have been on early in the morning as well, but I was not awake. The new improved (ie now extant) insulation seems to be helping. Tomorrow we shall see.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #417 on: 07 March, 2023, 10:41:01 am »
Tonight and tomorrow evening are set to be chilly, so it was with some relief that I saw the oil tanker pull up to the house.  As usual I'd cut it rather fine and was on the verge of banning showers and disorganised washing up.  Phew!

So yes. Heating will be on this evening.  [I think you have misspelled 'This Afternoon', dear - Mrs B]
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #418 on: 07 March, 2023, 01:34:31 pm »
Tonight and tomorrow evening are set to be chilly, so it was with some relief that I saw the oil tanker pull up to the house.  As usual I'd cut it rather fine and was on the verge of banning showers and disorganised washing up.  Phew!

So yes. Heating will be on this evening.  [I think you have misspelled 'This Afternoon', dear - Mrs B]

Presumably you didn't get to the stage I did when selling a house . . .  jacking up the back of the tank to get as much oil as possible and avoid having to buy any!  (Tanks are set up with a slight downward slope from the outlet tap to allow for any water/condensation to gather and not get into the boiler)

rogerzilla

« Reply #419 on: 07 March, 2023, 05:44:53 pm »
I had to order more wood.  At March sale prices, it's the same kWh as gas, and a bit more efficient in terms of where it puts the heat.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #420 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:23:06 am »
Still not put the heating on this winter.  It's actually a degree warmer indoors today than it's been the past week.  14C.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #421 on: 08 March, 2023, 01:45:42 pm »
I got really cold while concentrating on some programming stuff the other day.  Unusually for me, this involved a GUI, so lots of mousing to test things, and my hands got really cold.  In spite of my usual September-June habit of keeping whichever hand I'm not currently using clamped between my thighs, or around my shoulder/neck for warmth.

Room temperature in the 21-22C range.  Which is perfectly comfortable for everything between my knees and wrists; any hotter and I'd be sweating.

Last year the mgmt put a new heating/air con system into the lab office at work. But only in the open plan area, not for the small offices dotted round the perimeter of the building which are shittily insulated and also contain radiators which I recently found out are heated by ASHP (which explains why they are always tepid, especially given as they don't seem to have them set to run early enough).
So the mini office I timeshare with my absent boss is freezing in winter.
One particularly bad day last year I found myself Googling for heated fleecy mouse pockets. Like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heated-Mouse-Warmer-Wristguard-Winter/dp/B018V7WYIY
I bought one of those for MrsC

It lasted a week before the insulation wore through on some wiring and electrocuted her.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

« Reply #422 on: 08 March, 2023, 07:38:21 pm »
The wood turned up and I stowed it during a period of very light drizzle, because otherwise there is no dry spell until Friday night.  It takes three times longer when it's not in nets but it does look beautiful when stacked.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #423 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:03:55 pm »
To my eternal shame I, without prompting by Mrs Snake (who was out at the time) turned the CH on at about 1 pm today.
I must be getting old.  :-X :-X :-X
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #424 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:07:57 pm »
TBF It has been frikkin' cold, (Ok, not so much by Siberian standards).
I'm out all day so I do not run the heating while I'm out.
It goes on when I get in at about 17:00.
Today, it hasn't yet reached 18°C at this point of the proceedings.