Author Topic: "instant" opticians  (Read 2301 times)

"instant" opticians
« on: 18 August, 2009, 03:43:04 pm »
I know that SpecSavers offer "instant" Specs at Saver prices and used them about 5 years ago for an emergency.

What do Vision Express do?  Are they in the same market for "4 hour specs" or do they just use Express as a come on ?

Vava

Re: "instant" opticians
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2009, 07:56:45 pm »
I use vision express - your specs are usually ready an hour after they finish doing all the tests on your vision and chosen your frames....

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2009, 02:14:22 pm »
I used to use SpecSavers. Then lost a pair of glasses, phoned to get urgent replacements.  Erm, they would take 48 hours, cause of 'non-standard' lenses.

Vision Express said 4 hours, did them in 2.

I think SpecSavers are only quick if you take lenses that don't require much alteration to fit your chosen frames.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »
I think all these optican chains are run as francises

So whilst the spec savers in Bristol near where I used to work was great, the one in Tiverton was bloody awlful
Likewise, the Dolland and Aitchsen in Stratford, East London back in the 80s was fab, the one in Exeter in the 90s absolute waste of time
I wouldn't mind so much but a trip to the opticians is expensive.  If I pay all that money then I expect something vaguely resembling service.  Like phoning me up when the glasses are ready to collect for example

OTOH Boots often have a optican bit attached.  Boots in Exeter was good and so is Boots in Taunton

All the opticans I've used seem to take a while to get anything sorted out

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:48:10 pm »
All 4 of this family use specsavers. I've only had glasses last few years and have nothing with which to compare them, but herself who has always worn them  thinks it's wonderful that can get a pair in less than 3 weeks - and SO cheap!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:08:51 pm »
Hmm.  I've used both Specsavers and Vision Express.  Neither of them could provide me with glasses inside a week, but then I do have a very non-standard prescription (mainly varifocals).  If you have a high prescription, lots of astigmatism and need varifocals (because you have had cataract operations) then you have no hope of getting a rapid service.

I went to Dollonds when I moved to Tamworth (there wasn't a Vision Express there at the time) and they were OK but not brilliant.  They were particularly not OK when you wanted sports specs e.g. prescription ski goggles, swim goggles and sunglasses for cycling and other activities.  In the end I went to Philip Howards in Tamworth, a local small franchise.  They were absolutely excellent.  My specs took 1-2 days but more to the point they have managed to do prescription ski goggles that don't look prescription, fantastic Adidas sports sunglasses and prescription swim goggles all without blinking an eyelid (pardon the pun).  It is worth the wait to get what you really want.  For ordinary specs with standard lenses, no varifocal, and not a very high prescription I'd choose Vision Express over Specsavers, but that probably varies with the branch.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2009, 08:38:02 pm »
I went to Vision Express.  Good initial impression on the phone was matched when I went to the shop.  Business like, efficient but still friendly.  Thorough test and excellent range of frames (for me).  Varifocals ordered; 7 - 10 days.  Went back next day and changed my order to include reactolite lenses.  They had explained that they wouldn't really work properly in a car with tinted windows but I drive a convertible and it's a bit like walking down the street.  Received txt notification in just 5 days.   Working fine except I still can't accept them when sitting front of a PC for several hours - my single prescription reactolite, anti glare glasses are preferred.

They must be working - I haven't run anybody over since getting the glasses.

FyPuNK

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2009, 10:14:32 am »
Why do you peeps never go to an independant or small family optician??? All the time peeps on here bang on about using the LBS and not hellfrauds etc, I think you will be pleasently suprised and the price and service you will get from most of them as pointed out by docsquid when he went to Philip Howards. I know I am very biased, perhaps it's because we are an independant optometrist that don't charge the earth and pride ourselves on good honest service. Rant over  ;) (and yes we can do basic stuff in an hour+repairs(unlike specsavers))

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:07:58 am »
I do go to my local opticians, ie the shop closest to my abode. The service is good, the choice of frames and styles rather limited but all in all it's OK.
I do 'shop local'.

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:44:51 am »
Why do you peeps never go to an independant or small family optician??? All the time peeps on here bang on about using the LBS and not hellfrauds etc, I think you will be pleasently suprised and the price and service you will get from most of them as pointed out by docsquid when he went to Philip Howards. I know I am very biased, perhaps it's because we are an independant optometrist that don't charge the earth and pride ourselves on good honest service. Rant over  ;) (and yes we can do basic stuff in an hour+repairs(unlike specsavers))

I've used a local independant optician for about 8 years with no problems.  They do not offer a "less than 24 hours" service and I thought I'd give somebody else a chance for a change.  Vision Express were within 100m of the independant.  I do not advocate my LBS but go to a shop 17 miles away as a 1st resort.  If they cannot supply then I go somewhere else (and they know it).

About the best instant repair service that I've had was a very small optician in a small town just on the French side of the Pyrennees.  They stripped and cleaned my spectacles, replaced the nose bits and replaced the missing screw that caused the visit in the first place - all accompanied by a cup of excellent coffee and no charge.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2009, 11:04:14 am »

I do, and have received excellent service from them and referred others from here to them, they've also been happy.

The only thing they didn't do was tell me if my mother was right about what caused my eyes to deteriorate (I thought they had a bit of a smirk when they said "it's just because you're getting older")
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!