Author Topic: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?  (Read 12174 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?
« Reply #50 on: 04 November, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »
Funny you should say that.  Hammond rides a lot.  May loves his Brommie, and, er, Clarkson has been sighted on a BSO on his estate, and in his local village.
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 04 November, 2008, 07:56:09 pm »
Bah!  They deserve each other.

Both bringing the good name of Yorkshire into disrepute through vile reactionary views.

Did I mention Ted Hughes, Geoffrey Boycott, Harvey Smith etc? ;D

You can always tell a Yorkshireman

..... but you can't tell them much.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »
Top Gear's stunts are filmed on private property.

I think I mentioned or alluded to this. If I didn't then I meant to. So - they film on private property and hence do not have to stick to speed limits, or turn the fog lights off in broad daylight. So they don't have to worry about vehicles coming the other way.

It never used to be (exclusively) filmed on private property and it would be hard to get to Monte Carlo or Edinburgh on private property.

Top Gear is entertainment

My point is simple.
You think it is entertainment, but some people do not make that connection.

In the same way that death metal isn't actually asking you to go and kill half your year at school.

There might be 1 person out of 67 million. or .01% of 67 million. Or possibly quite a few more. For me, out on my bike on a rural lane, hearing a revved up engine in a car being forced to swoop round bends, Top Gear style, that's one too many people who don't get that it is entertainment.

The point about the truck into wall thing is that he is on record saying that it was bloody awful and everybody should do similar before being given  a licence.
The c**t just didn't say this in the program. So why would that be?
It is simpler than it looks.

Chris S

« Reply #53 on: 04 November, 2008, 08:38:53 pm »
Funny you should say that.  Hammond rides a lot.  May loves his Brommie, and, er, Clarkson has been sighted on a BSO on his estate, and in his local village.

We'll watch out for him on Saturday. I think the Upper Thames 200 goes near/past his front door.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #54 on: 05 November, 2008, 07:19:29 am »
Funny you should say that.  Hammond rides a lot.  May loves his Brommie, and, er, Clarkson has been sighted  parking an oversized gas guzzler on a BSO on his estate, and in his local village.

FTFY...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #55 on: 05 November, 2008, 09:00:37 am »

The point about the truck into wall thing is that he is on record saying that it was bloody awful and everybody should do similar before being given  a licence.
The c**t just didn't say this in the program. So why would that be?

Actually - he DID say that on the program. - My son was watching it when I walked in just as he hit the wall and stayed to watch a few minutes.   :P

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:11:10 am »
We'll watch out for him on Saturday. I think the Upper Thames 200 goes near/past his front door.

Somewhere near Chipping Norton certainly, but I'm not sure exactly where.  If you could run David Cameron over on the descent into Chadlington...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #57 on: 05 November, 2008, 10:14:11 am »
Top Gear's stunts are filmed on private property.

I think I mentioned or alluded to this. If I didn't then I meant to. So - they film on private property and hence do not have to stick to speed limits, or turn the fog lights off in broad daylight. So they don't have to worry about vehicles coming the other way.

It never used to be (exclusively) filmed on private property and it would be hard to get to Monte Carlo or Edinburgh on private property.

A lot of what they film is not on private property, and shows the law being broken.  An overtired Clarkson piloting a Veyron at high speed along an Autobahn?  Hilarious*, and, while the speed may be legal, the drooping eyes and inattention weren't.

* ::-)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 05 November, 2008, 11:33:39 am »
Top Gear is entertainment, and I do consider Clarkson to be playing a role.
Gerald,
You are far too intelligent to believe that Entertainment cannot be used for serious means. Consider topical news-based comedy (which has been prominent in the mainstream since the 60s). Certain politicians think their careers were killed by Spitting Image.
If Mugabe or our old friend Saddam had sponsored a piece of theatre, would you naively watch it, assuming it was 'just entertainment' with no possible political message?

Do you think Bernard Manning is harmless on the grounds that his main aim is to get a laugh?

I'm probably one of a handful of people here who actually watch and enjoy the show.
I think your handful may be larger than you think (fnarr fnarr). I've often watched Jezza and laughed  (I also loved James May in the first wine prog he did). Don't assume that those of us who care about the bigger picture are completely devoid of funny bone. Just as Mr Manning tells the odd cracker (e.g. the Argie soldiers gag). I still wouldn't pay him money to 'entertain' me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #59 on: 05 November, 2008, 11:41:39 am »
Was it just me who thought Clarkson was talking about Peter Sutcliffe, then?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #60 on: 05 November, 2008, 12:39:40 pm »
Was it just me who thought Clarkson was talking about Peter Sutcliffe, then?

I did too. That's another Yorkshireman for the list.  :-\
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #61 on: 05 November, 2008, 02:32:25 pm »
Top Gear is entertainment, and I do consider Clarkson to be playing a role.
Gerald,

Do you think Bernard Manning is harmless on the grounds that his main aim is to get a laugh?

I should think so he died a couple of years ago.

« Reply #62 on: 06 November, 2008, 11:41:50 am »
A lot of what they film is not on private property, and shows the law being broken.  An overtired Clarkson piloting a Veyron at high speed along an Autobahn?  Hilarious*, and, while the speed may be legal, the drooping eyes and inattention weren't.

* ::-)

Same could be said of audax.

Top Gear is popular entertainment. I don't see the link between a car show, that a wide cross section of the populous watches and bad road behaviour.

Has bad road behaviour increased in proportion with Top Gear?  There's no equivalent show for motorcyclists, and it was motorcyclists who scared the crap out of me on my last audax, apexing corners, riding on the wrong side of the white lines. Where did they learn that from?

The Max Power/car modding brigade are ridiculed by almost everyone I know, but it seems to be growing in popularity.

Bad road manners is nothing to do with whats on TV, but the personality of the person involved.

The backlash against SUVs is media driven, yet there are still loads of them on the street.

Re: Manning, he seemed the same on and off stage. Clarkson for all his ranting does have a thoughtful side.

« Reply #63 on: 06 November, 2008, 12:34:53 pm »
The Max Power/car modding brigade are ridiculed by almost everyone I know, but it seems to be growing in popularity.

Even by Top Gear.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #64 on: 06 November, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Jakob

« Reply #65 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »
I like Top Gear and I like Clarkson as an entertainer. Sometimes he goes a bit too much Daily Mail, but he's also perfectly capable of taking the piss out of himself.

LEE

« Reply #66 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »
Top Gear gets more like a sketch show every season.

I think there used to be a few ad-libs but now it's totally scripted and the 3-way competitions between the presenters are hopelessly contrived.

Good light-entertainment but not to be taken seriously, just like Brand and Ross.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMuO-8S_0Wg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DMuO-8S_0Wg&rel=1</a>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #67 on: 06 November, 2008, 08:58:03 pm »
It's Last Of The Summer Wine with cars, innit?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 07 November, 2008, 11:05:09 am »

Even by Top Gear.

What they are saying about the MaxPower readers is basically:
I have more money than you - therefore I can purchase an Imprezza Turbo / M3 / Sierra Cosworth* which will look nicer than your car, require less of my time, and go faster.

Could someone please count the number of posts about bad driving by:
a) BMW drivers,
b) Chavs in Saxos.

I bet b) isn't much bigger than a).

*remember Clarkson had one of these until people kept sawing the wing off.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 07 November, 2008, 11:29:39 am »
Discussing Clarkson's former cars reminds me about the hoo-hah when he ordered a Ford GT, and kept reminding the other presenters of the fact all the way up the waiting list, until he got it.

And it was an expensive pile of crap that didn't even go.

The sheer amount of schadenfreude these events showered across the land perhaps absolves Clarkson from his other idiocies.
Getting there...