Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952148 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3875 on: 14 January, 2014, 10:00:52 am »

A Sunday in hell

Great film!

To quote some Left Pondian folks- 'fuckin A!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3876 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »
Gravity.

Wow!

Gripping doesn't even start to cover it!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #3877 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:17:34 pm »
The Hobbit - Desolation...

Finally.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #3878 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:20:15 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I was quite irritated.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3879 on: 16 January, 2014, 02:08:58 pm »
Gravity.

Wow!

An item on the radio a short while ago suggested that, barring the actors' faces, the entire film was created in Soho.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #3880 on: 16 January, 2014, 02:15:29 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I was quite irritated.

In the words of the oft maligned Paul Daniels- Thats Magic! You'll like it- not a lot but you'll like it. ;D

Jakob

« Reply #3881 on: 16 January, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »
Gravity.

Wow!

An item on the radio a short while ago suggested that, barring the actors' faces, the entire film was created in Soho.

That's stretching the truth a bit, but it's probably fair to say that something around 90% of it was CG. However, there was still a huge amount shot on stage, using very eloborate lighting/motion control rigs, an area where the UK have lead the way since the 90's.
It's also one of the few 'life action' films to have VFX before catering in the credits and I'll be curious to see if it wins the Oscar for best cinematography, if the DoP will do a 'Life of Pi' and take all the credit. (Virtually none of the shots used to highlight the cinematography on Life of Pi were shot in camera).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3882 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:12:20 pm »
Limitless

Quite a fun film with a silly ending.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3883 on: 17 January, 2014, 12:00:45 am »
That new Die Hard rubbish, which was even worse than the last lot of Die Hard rubbish.  That's a trilogy that really should have stopped at three.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3884 on: 17 January, 2014, 12:21:55 am »
Gravity.

Wow!

Pity they forgot about physics, though ... quite enjoyable otherwise.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3885 on: 17 January, 2014, 07:36:00 am »
Gravity.

Wow!

Pity they forgot about physics, though ... quite enjoyable otherwise.

Yes, but the actual story was good enough stop me getting irritated by such things, which is very rare.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3886 on: 17 January, 2014, 09:37:50 pm »
Elysium. Load of unmitigated shit.  Poor old Jodie Foster, getting shoved into roles like that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3887 on: 18 January, 2014, 11:57:40 pm »
Broken.

Briefly:
(click to show/hide)

Exceptionally good.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

fuzzy

« Reply #3888 on: 20 January, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »
This weekend I watched-

Equilibrium- a very good take on the 1984 genre with gun toting martial arts and sword play  :thumbsup:

GATTACA- Uma Thurman! Like :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3889 on: 20 January, 2014, 01:53:53 pm »
Monsters University.

I don't normally do the prequel/sequel/whatever-quel thing, but this was really rather good - whilst you don't have to have watched Monsters Inc., some of the jokes will make more sense if you have. Of course, since it's Pixar you've got drop-dead gorgeous animation, and since the Mouse is involved you've also got periods of anvilicious moralising. Even so, it's worth a watch.

I still prefer the original Monsters Inc. though (it's one of my all-time favourite movies)

fuzzy

« Reply #3890 on: 20 January, 2014, 02:38:29 pm »
Monsters University.

I don't normally do the prequel/sequel/whatever-quel thing, but this was really rather good - whilst you don't have to have watched Monsters Inc., some of the jokes will make more sense if you have. Of course, since it's Pixar you've got drop-dead gorgeous animation, and since the Mouse is involved you've also got periods of anvilicious moralising. Even so, it's worth a watch.

I still prefer the original Monsters Inc. though (it's one of my all-time favourite movies)

Absolutely! For me, one of the revelations of that film was the wind playing through Sully's fur in the snow- fantastic.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3891 on: 20 January, 2014, 02:51:26 pm »
12 Years a Slave – getting a lot of attention and rightly so.

I thought it was a very well made film as well as a very well told story.  It’s interesting just *how* they tell the story too.

It could easily just be filmed as a catalogue of the horrors and evils of slavery but it manages to do something more and show the impact on people, including the slaveholders – it’s very impressive on the banality of evil as much as it is on the visceral horrors of the conditions and tortures slaves had to endure.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3892 on: 20 January, 2014, 06:26:10 pm »
Monsters Inc. (again)

Pixar's best movie by a country mile, IMO (closely followed by 'The Incredibles'. The 'Toy Story' movies were amazing technical feats, but didn't do it for me story-wise; 'Finding Nemo' I found to be insufferably cute and I thought 'Cars' was a bit 'meh')

As I mentioned above, the prequel's pretty good but this is yet another case where the original is best.

« Reply #3893 on: 20 January, 2014, 09:03:28 pm »
Beasts of the Southern Wild

Very good, beautiful and moving, but perhaps not quite as good as the raving on imdb would have you believe.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jakob

« Reply #3894 on: 21 January, 2014, 10:00:48 am »
Enders Game - surprisingly boring.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3895 on: 21 January, 2014, 10:22:42 am »
Enders Game - surprisingly boring.

I liked how they had realised the Battleroom scenes but yes a pretty dull film with the only suspense the deep struggle within the mind of Harrison Ford, seemingly torn between texting or phoning in his performance. 

Perhaps a good thing in that it neither raises the profile of the unpleasant views of the author nor risks any sequels based on the later (duller and increasingly messianic) sequels.

Andrew

« Reply #3896 on: 21 January, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »
Atom Egoyen's 'Calendar'.

He's one of my favourite film makers. He let's the camera linger, he allows space and silence. It all adds up to quite haunting viewing with stories being told slowly, visually. You realise the story rather than be told. 'Calendar' is an earlier work, and one I took great pleasure immersing myself in.

Ruth

« Reply #3897 on: 21 January, 2014, 06:04:42 pm »
I've had Letters to Juliet on with no sound on tonight, the few bits I've peered at have looked like marvellous vintage chick-flick stuff.  I may actually watch that properly tomorrow.

I watched this the other night. It was an OK-ish chick flick, made worth watching by Vanessa Redgrave being old, girlish, womanly, beautiful, strong, and vulnerable, all at the same time.

« Reply #3898 on: 22 January, 2014, 12:56:15 am »
Wolf of Wall Street. Very enjoyable cautionary tale about greed. Not really that cautionary about drugs though, as we all walked out wandering if Qualuudes really were that good. The Qualuude marketing board couldn't have made a better advert.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3899 on: 22 January, 2014, 11:15:03 pm »
The Soldier's Girl.

Obvious interest...
No spoilers here, for it is all over the internet. Soldier meets transwoman. Love ensues. Comrades have differing opinions.
Brilliantly acted, with a man playing the transwoman. I wept gallons. I could say more, but I am still crying.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i