Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952070 times)

hillbilly

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5375 on: 28 August, 2015, 05:25:12 pm »
Moonlight Kingdom

The last of the films in my Wes Anderson watch through.  Follows the template, but the setting is one of the more interesting ones in his canon - basically a light, quirky comedy following the adventures of two 12 year old misfits and the reaction of their small community to them absconding.  Charming and worth 90 minutes of anyone's life.

hillbilly

« Reply #5376 on: 29 August, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
Trash

Didn't live up to the name.  Not a bad wee film, even if it tries to take on a significance it doesn't merit.  despite being written by Richard Curtis, it doesn't have too many implausible and sickeningly sweet scenarios.  (You might tell I went into this expecting not to like it and ended feeling slightly charmed).  Anyway, Brazilian kids get mixed up in corruption and try to resolve the situation.  Decent premise, largely delivered upon.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #5377 on: 29 August, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »
45 Years

Only a slight exaggeration to say that's almost how long it's been since Mrs P and I went to the flicks together.

Shame the cinema's projector technology died before the film started - and after 30 mins waiting it was declared "off" and we all trooped out and queued for a refund.

So it wasn't the last film I watched, more accurately, it was the last film I tried to watch.

Bit of a bummer, really.

Jakob

« Reply #5378 on: 31 August, 2015, 03:49:49 am »
Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

Wanted to see if it was as bad as I remembered and it was...partly because Uma Thurman is utterly and completely unconvincing as a martial artist.
Easily Tarantinos worst film(s), although it/they does have it's moments.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5379 on: 31 August, 2015, 09:04:22 am »
About Time

Richard Curtis. I lasted about 25 minutes before I had to turn it off.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

red marley

« Reply #5380 on: 31 August, 2015, 04:23:56 pm »
That's at least 25 minutes more than I managed. I gave up when I found out it was a Richard Curtis film. Which was several weeks before I didn't watch it.

ian

« Reply #5381 on: 31 August, 2015, 08:11:18 pm »
I'd like to go back in time and unwatch the few Richard Curtis films I may have accidentally watched.

hillbilly

« Reply #5382 on: 31 August, 2015, 08:21:33 pm »
Wolfpack

Interesting and engaging documentary about the Angelo family, who were largely locked away from the world as they grew up, maintaining a vague link to it through films.  A strangely upbeat film about finding identity and burgeoning adulthood if it is given a chink through which to blossom.  Or something.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5383 on: 31 August, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »
About Time

Richard Curtis. I lasted about 25 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Yebbut, Bill Nighy.
Milk please, no sugar.

hillbilly

« Reply #5384 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:48:32 pm »
LA Story

Inspired by seeing a picture of Steve Martin somewhere, I splashed a couple of £ on this early 90s satire/romcom that I remembered as being "not bad" and "not as annoying as Steve Martin's earlier work". 

It's a bit confused in places, and the satire a bit blunt and sprawling (like LA) but it has an easy charm and a gentle flow of light comedy that provides relief to the thin plot about fate and the like.  I think its biggest issue is that Curb Your Enthusiasm had a similar situation and it's difficult to watch LA Story without contrasting it with Larry David's comedy, and for LA Story to fall short.  But the memory of it being "not bad" was justified.

That said, LA Story does have bonus Rick Moranis. With one of the worst English accents committed to celluloid. Bless.

hillbilly

« Reply #5385 on: 03 September, 2015, 05:11:39 pm »
L'Eclisse

At BFI Southbank.  B&W.  Subtitled from Italian.  Artier than one half of Simon and Garfunkel.  Off the pretention scale; the natural domain of those who stroke beards and feel slightly too warm in their polyester polo necks.

It was. Okay.  Vaguely interesting, some of the time.  Unnerving and vaguely threatening in parts.  But long languid periods where not much happens, so there is an overall sense of there only being the most fleeting of stories.  The ending is a real "WTF" experience.

citoyen

« Reply #5386 on: 06 September, 2015, 10:49:01 am »
Gone Girl

Had low expectations due to a) having read the book, and b) Ben Affleck, but it was actually rather good. Better than the book, in fact - the ending seemed a lot less silly than the book, and a lot more sinister. I have mixed feelings about David Fincher but he was exactly the right director for this.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #5387 on: 07 September, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »
Am reading Gone Girl ATM, so thanks for putting whatever you've put under the spoiler under the spoiler!

citoyen

« Reply #5388 on: 07 September, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »
Am reading Gone Girl ATM, so thanks for putting whatever you've put under the spoiler under the spoiler!

It's only a spoiler if you're less than halfway through the book, but I thought it best to err on the safe side!

hillbilly

« Reply #5389 on: 07 September, 2015, 05:42:15 pm »
Leon  Gary Oldman was great as a bad guy.  Pity he grew a Ned Flanders moustache and turned into a good guy since the turn of the century.

Annie Hall Woody Allen's best film?  Possibly.  Certainly one of the better ones.  Diane Keaton holds the film together, whilst Woody does a stand up routine around it, being too clever by half.  Has some great moments and lines.  What d'you think? D'you like it? (if you've seen it, that should make sense...)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5390 on: 09 September, 2015, 04:54:13 am »
Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Some superbly acid lines for Maggie Smith. On being asked how she had found America:

I went with low expectations and came back disappointed.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hillbilly

« Reply #5391 on: 09 September, 2015, 06:39:16 am »
Like Father Like Son Japanese film about paternity. Premise is two families find out their sons were swapped at birth and they have to decide whether to swap 6 year old boys or keep them. Quite a subdued film but interesting.

hillbilly

« Reply #5392 on: 12 September, 2015, 01:35:47 pm »
imitation game
Was not that great a script, but Sherlock wasn't bad.

I'm also rattling through the films of the Coen Brothers.  Blood Simple, Fargo and Raising Arizona so far.  All good.  There's at least one Classic in that list, and I'm looking forward to watching the other half dozen or so Coen films I've got lined up this month.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5393 on: 12 September, 2015, 08:01:39 pm »
Like Father Like Son Japanese film about paternity. Premise is two families find out their sons were swapped at birth and they have to decide whether to swap 6 year old boys or keep them. Quite a subdued film but interesting.

So it is rather different to the similar plot (stretching things) in "Leon the Pig Farmer"...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Chris S

« Reply #5394 on: 12 September, 2015, 11:20:47 pm »
PK

Not entirely the full Monty, Bollywoodwise; there were no comas, no emergency childbirths, and only occasionally random song and dance.

Kind of a cross between Mr Bean and ET.

Entertaining, but very long.

citoyen

« Reply #5395 on: 13 September, 2015, 12:08:28 am »
Pride

I was expecting it to be more like Billy Elliot. I hated Billy Elliot. I loved Pride. A bit cheesy and I suspect some liberties have been taken with the truth, but it works really well.

ian

« Reply #5396 on: 13 September, 2015, 12:38:00 pm »
Fight Club, because I read the book* while bored in Basingstoke the other week, and I'd not seen the movie for years, and the ever erudite Citoyen mentioned David Fincher. Takes mostly from book which is no bad thing, and is still brilliant with the everyman Norton, the brash Pitt, and the scatty catty Bonham-Carter. Good god, was that 1999.

*the author's afterword in the current edition is priceless, especially if you didn't like Margaret Thatcher. And that's obviously a thing of which I do not approve.

« Reply #5397 on: 13 September, 2015, 02:29:08 pm »
I just watched Wyrmwood, and it was impressively good for a Zombie film that cost $160000 to make.

It's worth watching if you get the chance, and enjoy the Zombie genre, but I wouldn't spend too much money on it.  I watched it as part of my free Amazon Prime usage, before I cancel it.  It's one of the few films I've seen on there, which was worth more than I paid for it (ie nothing!)

Initially it seemed like a fairly straightforward end-of-the-world Zombpocalypse film, but it does have a few amusing and relatively original elements.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5398 on: 13 September, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
Guardians of the Galaxy, because my boss and I are working our way through the entire cinematic universe in canon order, and we needed some lighthearded relief following the finale of Agents of SHIELD S01… rather liked it. May have fallen in love with Groot. Though the phrase "pelvic sorcery" still has me in stitches nearly 18 hours later…

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5399 on: 13 September, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »
Fight Club, because I read the book* while bored in Basingstoke the other week, and I'd not seen the movie for years, and the ever erudite Citoyen mentioned David Fincher. Takes mostly from book which is no bad thing, and is still brilliant with the everyman Norton, the brash Pitt, and the scatty catty Bonham-Carter. Good god, was that 1999.

Ssshhhh!  You're not supposed to mention that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime