Author Topic: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?  (Read 12186 times)

gordon taylor

Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?
« on: 03 November, 2008, 09:11:30 pm »
Clarkson is in the sights of the Daily Mail as part of their "get the BBC " month.

BBC in new standards row as Clarkson jokes that truck drivers 'murder prostitutes'  | Mail Online

I might go and make a complaint because I'm indignant.

Julian

• samoture
Re: Should Jeremy Clarkson get sacked?
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:27:23 pm »
201 Daily Wail commenters say this was funny but Ross'n'Brand aren't.

I've clearly got my priorities wrong as I find laughing at a girl who had sex with Russell Brand far funnier than the rape and murder of five prostitutes.  Must try harder.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2008, 09:47:26 pm »
On the other hand, watching Clarkson drive straight into a brick wall nearly made me jizz my shorts with evil delight.

Must... channel... Ghandi... more...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2008, 10:14:07 pm »
Clarkson must have been reading "Viz".  The urban legend of truckers murdering prostitutes (and hitch-hikers) has been a staple of theirs almost since inception.  There's often a reference to a rolled-up carpet being used to dispose of the body too.

"Truckers' Tizer", unfortunately, is true  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Really Ancien

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2008, 02:24:17 am »
It's a refreshing change to see the Daily Mail using the  English Collective of Prostitutes as a source. Is this a new acknowledgement of reality on the part of the Daily Mail?

Damon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2008, 09:15:33 am »
On the other hand, watching Clarkson drive straight into a brick wall nearly made me jizz my shorts with evil delight.

except...

The show didn't report how he actually felt - I could only hear "God this hurts" or similar, right at the tend of the clip. Then it cut to the silliness in the studio.

Somewhat different from his words here.

Describing the crash, he said: 'At the moment, teenagers see Bruce Willis driving his car into a helicopter and imagine that you can get out afterwards and still be well enough to punch a baddie in the face.

'This isn't accurate. I emerged from my high speed head-on impact in what can only be described as screaming agony.
'I couldn't walk. I couldn't talk. I couldn't think.
'Everyone should experience this before they are given a licence.'

He added: 'It would let them know that crashes really, really hurt and that it would be a good idea to not have one.'

PS. I watched the programme, so presumably I am allowed to complain?  ::-)
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2008, 09:38:02 am »

Must... channel... Ghandi... more...

Me too!  I think that a weekly drive into a brick wall should be written into his BBC contract.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2008, 09:40:29 am »
No - sack whoever OKed it going out. Again this was a pre recorded show not a live one. It would have been easy to cut the comments out but someone didn't. There was an interesting interview the other day with Ruby Wax where the Ross/ Brand thing came up. She said that when she had her chat show she would riff on and on and loads of it would be quite obscene or unfit to broadcast but they just cut it out before transmission even if was funny and that's what a producer / editors job is. She felt comedians left to their own devices always have a tendency to run away with an idea and push it too far and they need someone to censor them and tell them straight that something was either simple not funny or beyond the pale.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2008, 09:56:32 am »
No - sack whoever OKed it going out. Again this was a pre recorded show not a live one. It would have been easy to cut the comments out but someone didn't. There was an interesting interview the other day with Ruby Wax where the Ross/ Brand thing came up. She said that when she had her chat show she would riff on and on and loads of it would be quite obscene or unfit to broadcast but they just cut it out before transmission even if was funny and that's what a producer / editors job is. She felt comedians left to their own devices always have a tendency to run away with an idea and push it too far and they need someone to censor them and tell them straight that something was either simple not funny or beyond the pale.

Exactly!  Clarkson, Brand and Ross are paid to be controversial.  And millions of us, including me, love watching and listening. 

The broadcasters need to decide whether a performer is safe enough for live broadcast (e.g. Wogan) or has to have a safety net provided by editing a recorded show before transmission. 

spindrift

« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:06:52 am »
I think it would be ironic if Clarkson's children were killed by a speeding driver exhibiting the selfish recklessness Clarkson advocates.

« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:18:29 am »
Surely it would be ironic, if they were killed by someone driving safely and observing all traffic regulations...(probably not the place to discuss definitions of irony)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:20:33 am »
Clarkson should be sacked.

I don't know much about he latest issue, but if it includes joking about the vicious murder of women on pre-watershed TV that my young son watches, then I'm deeply unhappy.

But he should have been sacked (arrested etc) over the threat to murder cyclists.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:29:31 am »
Jeremy Clarkson should be put in a sack.

Then he should be kicked about a bit.

Then he should be dumped over the side of a cross channel ferry.  In winter.  With bricks tied to his gonads.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Really Ancien

« Reply #13 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:32:33 am »
To paraphrase a Greg Lake hit, 'The Clarkson we get we deserve', I admire his writing, this review of the Ford Mondeo Jeremy Clarkson Ford Mondeo Titanium X review | Driving - Times Online  is as good an example of his talents as any. To be able to write well about a subject as dull as that and to inject it with a certain amount of passion is remarkable. The way he carefully places the technical information about the deformable body panels without destroying the flow of the piece is an object lesson. He's never been entirely comfortable in front of the camera and it manifests itself in a lot of fidgeting and a Tourettes like flow of controversy. He is responsible for a lot of the bad behaviour on the roads so I wouldn't miss Top Gear, which I rarely watch as it clashes with circuit-training. I'd like him sacked and then I would like the BBC to commisson a series on the relative decline of British manufacturing from him. His writing and presentational style would suit that better.

Damon.

spindrift

« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
Response to Richard Littlejohn's remarks about the murdered Ipswich prostitutes:

After all the news coverage the murders in Ipswich has been getting, it’s good to know that one person finally talks some robust sense about the whole matter. Who else but Mr Richard Littlejohn?

Littlejohn: Spare us the 'People's Prostitute' routine...  | Mail Online

A cracking read and I decided to let him know by writing to him thusly:

Dear Little John,

I read with interest your article in The Daily Mail about those dollymops being offed in Ipswich. At last somebody has the bravery to tell the truth about the matter. Congratulations, sir – your family must be proud of the common sense, compassion and sensitivity that you have brought to the Little John name. Especially when you consider that your surname sounds like a description of a diminutive customer of one of these ‘ladies’.

As you say, being brutally murdered and left on a cold patch of waste ground, stripped of their clothes, their dignity, their hope and the chance to turn their life around is what they agreed to when they first started accepting a pittance to be manhandled by fat sweaty middle-aged men (no offence).

I only wish other businesses would take a similar line with their employees. For instance, think of how profitable the construction industry could be without all that mucking about with hard hats and harnesses. They’d look a lot less like those Village People mob, too (and I think we’re in agreement here how much we dislike ‘those’ lot).

I imagine you wouldn’t complain if your employers got rid of their health and safety department, sold their fire alarm systems for scrap and risked using hazardous computer equipment. Although I don’t think any right-minded person, on reading your column, would want to imagine you screaming in agony with hot shards of jagged monitor glass sticking out of your face. In fact, if your employers did make those savings you could be paid more than your current salary of £700,000+. Which is cracking value, if I may say. I’d rather see you get that money then, say, 45 nurses every year. What do they know about immigration? Apart from the thousands of immigrants whose hard work holds up the NHS, obviously. And okay, just like those Ipswich tarts they’re not going to find a cure for cancer. They’re only going to minister to those suffering from it. But can they write a funny article about poofs and Gipsies? I think not. Anyway, I digress.

Glad to hear you say those women were on the streets through choice. Quite right. Just like homeless people, they had the choice to live a normal, decent, Christian life and instead chose to live a life of harrowing hardship, daily brutality and a hollow lack of hope. Lord knows what got into them (many ‘experts’ suggest a member of their own family at an impressionable age). I once decided to go to Peterborough for a sales conference but I’d hardly make the kind of decisions those women made. It’s almost as if they were driven to it through a combination of a poor education system, lack of opportunity and a woefully under funded social support network. But obviously that’s not the case. They simply decided they’d quite like to live out their short life in squalid despair. Madness.

I’m interested in these massage parlours you mention. You clearly have a far greater knowledge of their whereabouts and what goes on in them than I. Would you have further details? We need not go into the reasons for me asking this.

“Disgusting, street-addled whores” is a smashing bit of writing, by the way. I’m sure their families will get a real kick out of reading that. So much more descriptive than “Daughter” or “Mother” or “Sister” or somesuch. Should your own children (Or are you a confirmed bachelor? None of my business, I suppose. Prying into private lives is more your end of things, really) end up fellating dockers for spare change, I’m sure you’ll come up with something even better.

And bravo on giving Tony Blair a swift boot at the end. I can’t begin to imagine what kind of mind you’d need to use the deaths of five women to have a pop at him, but you’ve clearly got one.

Keep up the work. With people like you in positions of journalistic power, it’s only a matter of time before this country is they way Baroness Thatcher, god rest her immortal soul (Although is she actually dead yet? I’m not sure) would want it to be.

Yours etc.

Customer Service Writes To Richard Littlejohn

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:38:54 am »
Come, come now.  If you watch Clarkson and his ilk you should have your shit filter activated and a pot of salt handy from which to take pinches.  

I suspect that JC, like Gordon Ramsey, Simon Cowell, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, is in fact a very nice chap.  I love to meet them privately and find out what they are really like.  These guys are deliberately controversial cos it makes good TV and radio which attracts audiences in their millions.

However, I think, as I said earlier, broadcasters should edit before transmission.  And, some shows, including Top Gear, should be moved to after the watershed.

Remember all TVs and radios have "Off" buttons.

« Reply #16 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
I remember Top Gear presented by William Woollard and Noel Edmonds. It was awful.

It basically was an aspirational show for pensioners who wanted to blow their pension on the latest Maestro.

Che

« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:49:35 am »
Dear Little John,

That's rather wonderful, SD. Well done.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:50:18 am »
I remember Top Gear presented by William Woollard and Noel Edmonds. It was awful.

It basically was an aspirational show for pensioners who wanted to blow their pension on the latest Maestro.

Me too, it was grim viewing.  Perhaps that's because in those days Top Gear was about cars.  It's not now and it's much more entertaining.  Just think how dull YACF would be if it was just about cycling  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:52:28 am »
I was reliably informed that, in the flesh, JC is a knobber.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:57:18 am »
Most telly people I've met are.  Except Michaela Strachan, she's lovely.   O:-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #21 on: 04 November, 2008, 11:59:37 am »
Tom Baker wasn't when I met him. And he does sound like that.

Really Ancien

« Reply #22 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:04:02 pm »
Top Gear has been reclassified as entertainment, it used to be factual. It's easy to make the show if you don't have to stick to the facts. Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well, I'd rather see him doing that, so sack him and force him to do what he is good at. It'd be a relief for us and I suspect for him. As one of the world's most successful authors he can't be doing it for the money. He is also turning into Bernard Ingham.

Bernard Ingham

Jermy Clarkson.

Damon.

« Reply #23 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:11:15 pm »
Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well, I'd rather see him doing that, so sack him and force him to do what he is good at. It'd be a relief for us and I suspect for him.
Quite. His enthusiasm in the presentation of the programmes about Brunel and his (Clarkson's) VC winning father-in-law was palpable and gripping.
Working my way up to inferior.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 04 November, 2008, 12:32:59 pm »
Jeremy is a decent journalist who can marshal facts well...

You are referring to the Jeremy Clarkson who advocated running down cyclists in a column? Or is it some other Jeremy Clarkson I haven't come across?