Author Topic: Attaching Dynamo Charger to female SON Y junction on Edelux ii  (Read 2778 times)

First post here so - hello!

I have just purchased a bundle of dynamo gear to get me through winter without worry of charging lights. This is a SON set (SON28, Edelux ii + SON rear light). The Edelux ii is the new version with the coaxial junction box coming out of the light. You can see an image of the junction box (with female coaxial) here - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-coaxial-junction-box-male-connector-w-coaxial-adapter-80-cm/

I have also purchased a usb charger, the Igaro D2. I'm happy in how to connect the lighting system to the dynamo and bike. However, I am trying to work out how to connect the D2 to the Y junction.

Has anyone got experience of this? My thought would be to solder the power line of the D2 to a male coaxial, like this - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-2pole-connection-for-soncoaxial-cable-male-connector/. I'm confused why this wasn't a recommended buy while I was purchasing from SJS which has me doubting myself.

Is there any reason one couldn't solder the wire in to the male coaxial connector?

Anyone more 'enlightened' than me - I would appreciate your ideas!

Edit: amended the links so they work!

Re: Attaching Dynamo Charger to female SON Y junction on Edelux ii
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »
Welcome aboard Sir.

The two page links that you have provided do not appear to work.  Sorry

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2020, 08:10:33 pm »
Welcome aboard Sir.

The two page links that you have provided do not appear to work.  Sorry

Sorry and thanks for pointing out Polar Bear - I've amended now.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2020, 09:14:52 pm »
What state is the junction box in as delivered?

Really you want the appropriate SON plugs and suitable soldering skills; the later part has been a bit of a problem for me.

I did it slightly differently from advsied and put the plug on the wire to my USB-Werk (another dynamo charger) and then a bit of SON Coax tagged onto the wire already in the junction box leading to a plug so I can dismantle my cables and remantle them without too much bother; if your set up is more permanently afixed such complexity would be illadvised because every plug and socket you put in the system is another point at which your soldering could bollocks up.
That said the way I did the wire to my rear light also means I can switch to battery rear and run that wire up from the hub spade to co-ax adapter.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:32:32 pm »
Deleted because I hit the wrong pane in tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
What state is the junction box in as delivered?

Really you want the appropriate SON plugs and suitable soldering skills; the later part has been a bit of a problem for me.

I did it slightly differently from advsied and put the plug on the wire to my USB-Werk (another dynamo charger) and then a bit of SON Coax tagged onto the wire already in the junction box leading to a plug so I can dismantle my cables and remantle them without too much bother; if your set up is more permanently afixed such complexity would be illadvised because every plug and socket you put in the system is another point at which your soldering could bollocks up.
That said the way I did the wire to my rear light also means I can switch to battery rear and run that wire up from the hub spade to co-ax adapter.

The junction box looks like this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-coaxial-junction-box-male-connector-w-coaxial-adapter-80-cm/

I want to connect to the female coaxial connection coming out in the same direction as the rest of the wiring.

The charger cable looks like this:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/igaro-d2-standard-dynamo-usb-power-converter/

The wire that I want to connect to the coaxial are the two wires coming out.

I'm hoping I can solder that on to the male coaxial:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-2pole-connection-for-soncoaxial-cable-male-connector/

As I have a SON rear light with uncut cable that is likely too long, I think I will sacrifice some of this to solder to the male coaxial plug. I will then splice the Igaro wiring to the SON coaxial cable, and heat shrink that connection permanently.

Does that sound plausible? I'm new to this but enjoying learning. My wheel is still at the builders to get the SON build in to my wheel so I have a week or so to consider options.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:20:40 pm »
ah so all the bits are as they come in the packet.

I've got some of my SON Co-Ax connectors on the end of B&M two core, it goes on fine and is slightly less fiddly than the co-ax, you just need to strip the individual core's insulation to suit the terminals on the the connector.

Sounds like what you want to do is the same as what I did, so all doable.

« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:21:24 am »
I am very interested in this thread. I have the latest D2. ALL the previous models have failed so hang onto your receipts. I have just completed a 600 and all was well.

I have the older EdeluxII so have both cables connected at the wheel with piggy back connectors and they run up the fork. I’ve managed it neatly but I’m interested in your set up.

My biggest issues is the rear light. The connection in the housing of the lamp to the rear cable isn’t great. It either falls off, fatigues and breaks or the connection loosens and shorts everything. I am seriously considering removing the rear light for good and running USB rechargeable rear lights. They are so good these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2020, 03:34:41 pm »
I am very interested in this thread. I have the latest D2. ALL the previous models have failed so hang onto your receipts. I have just completed a 600 and all was well.

I have the older EdeluxII so have both cables connected at the wheel with piggy back connectors and they run up the fork. I’ve managed it neatly but I’m interested in your set up.

My biggest issues is the rear light. The connection in the housing of the lamp to the rear cable isn’t great. It either falls off, fatigues and breaks or the connection loosens and shorts everything. I am seriously considering removing the rear light for good and running USB rechargeable rear lights. They are so good these days.

My wheel is currently being built and should be with me this week or next. Once I've done the work I'll take a few pictures and post. It does seem like the rear light - lamp connection is the weakest link. I don't know why SON didn't creat a coaxial connection with this too as they seem quite solid (time will tell).

I am a bit nervous as they do seem a bit less of a finished product than, say, the Sinewave Rev, but I guess I was swooned by the numbers! I'll run this and decide nearer to the time of my tour next July whether to keep or move on and get the Sinewave.

« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2020, 03:45:39 pm »
Much appreciated. The Edulux ii has a great beam pattern and from what I’ve read yours is a further improvement. I have a few friends with the Sinewave and it is brilliant especially for charging USB devices. I believe the beam is more of a ‘spot’ although I’m not saying this from my experience. I had already gone too far down the rabbit hole with the D2 and Edelux ii to move the goal posts. One must learn.

A constant fascination!

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2020, 11:03:56 am »

As I have a SON rear light with uncut cable that is likely too long, I think I will sacrifice some of this to solder to the male coaxial plug. I will then splice the Igaro wiring to the SON coaxial cable, and heat shrink that connection permanently.

Does that sound plausible? I'm new to this but enjoying learning. My wheel is still at the builders to get the SON build in to my wheel so I have a week or so to consider options.

It all makes sense to me but I'm confused why you intend to solder the male coaxial plug to a part of your rear light cable and then connect the Igaro wires to that cable too. Why can't you solder the male coaxial plug directly to the Igaro wires? Is there any issue with that? There're instructions here: https://nabendynamo.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Soldering_Instructions_SON_Junction_Box.pdf, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Igaro wires.

Cheers,
Pavel

PS. Also a complete novice so I may well say something stupid.

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:18:29 am »

It all makes sense to me but I'm confused why you intend to solder the male coaxial plug to a part of your rear light cable and then connect the Igaro wires to that cable too. Why can't you solder the male coaxial plug directly to the Igaro wires? Is there any issue with that? There're instructions here: https://nabendynamo.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Soldering_Instructions_SON_Junction_Box.pdf, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Igaro wires.

Cheers,
Pavel

PS. Also a complete novice so I may well say something stupid.

Hello fellow novice!

As an update. I have tried to splice the coaxial to the D2 wiring, and then solder the coaxial to the male connector. For some reason, when I plug this in to the Edelux junction box, the light turns off.

Any ideas?

I'm tempted now to just use the spade connectors an connect to the hub, but that defeats the pros of having the box!