Author Topic: Jetboil compatible stove  (Read 4182 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Jetboil compatible stove
« on: 02 August, 2023, 02:49:38 pm »
I was given a Jetboil kettle which is brilliant! only problem is the burner is useless for cooking on as the burner goes out if you put a pan on

this seems to fit the bill, takes up less room than the lighter, it also comes in a little pouch and arrived much quicker than they said

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165353474521

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Jetboil compatible stove
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2023, 02:58:04 pm »
I thought the Jetboil was an all-in-one system, where there's a pot with heat exchanger designed to mesh with one particular burner?

Anyway, if you want a small, cheap gas stove, try the BRS-3000T. I have one (which I was given). It is tiny – literally fits in a trouser pocket and you'd forget about it. Weighs about 25g. Like all gas stoves, it works best with a windshield – a clip-on one from Primus or Optimus works decently.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364281964911

Or the Firemaple Hornet is said to be good, only slightly larger than the BRS but costs about £25, at which point I reckon you're better off buying something less susceptible to wind like the Soto Amicus (which I also have and can confirm it is a far superior stove to use). But if you were going to do that, seeing as you're in Jetboil, you should probably get a Jetboil stove.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

GdS

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:02:57 pm »
I thought the Jetboil was an all-in-one system, where there's a pot with heat exchanger designed to mesh with one particular burner?

yes but the gas canister isn't compatible with my other portable stove (Campinggaz)

on the subject of which can you get a narrower gas cylinder that will actually fit in the Jetboil kettle?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:06:23 pm »
There are various sizes of gas cannister from about 100g up. You'd have to check what the Jetboil is designed for. Beware also that Campinggaz use their own proprietary fitting system, so their stoves can only be used with their own cannisters, and vice versa. It's called something like QuickClick, I think. Although they might also make some gas cannisters with a standard threaded fitting and valve.

GdS

« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:10:41 pm »
Thanks; yes Jetboil uses a secret mix (probably standard but / prop) it's annoying that the canister takes up almost as much room as the kettle (although it may be unstable if any narrower)

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:25:40 pm »
JetBoil makes an adapter which will let you use the burner with an ordinary pot: https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/parts-accessories/cooking-accessories/pot-support .
Most JetBoil pots are designed to store the burner and a 100g cartridge inside them for transport. There seems to be some small variation in dimensions between the various 100g cartridges on the market, so a JetBoil brand cartridge might be a better fit inside the pot than other brands.

GdS

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2023, 03:30:14 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

it was a present so came with a 230g canister, I can see the 100g ones are smaller

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2023, 04:15:45 pm »
Thanks; yes Jetboil uses a secret mix (probably standard but / prop) it's annoying that the canister takes up almost as much room as the kettle (although it may be unstable if any narrower)
You can get a clip-on canister stand. Makes it more stable for narrow canisters, or larger pots.
eg https://alpkit.com/products/camping-gas-canister-support-stand

« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2023, 05:14:04 pm »
I have had a jetboil for many years. It has a standard screw-on thread for the burner and I have used cylinders from many different manufacturers, not just jetboil. There are 2 sizes of cylinders which which will inside the kettle. But I have also used bigger ones too.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2023, 06:26:40 pm »
You can get a clip-on canister stand. Makes it more stable for narrow canisters, or larger pots.
eg https://alpkit.com/products/camping-gas-canister-support-stand

The problem with a lot of clip-on canister stands is there is some variation in the diameter of the canisters, even if the canisters hold roughly the same amount of gas. A 100g JetBoil canister, a 100g Primus canister and a 100g MSR canister may not all have the same diameter, so a clip on stand that holds one of these securely may not hold the others. MSR has solved this with a spring loaded canister stand that adjusts to accommodate any diameter canister. https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/universal-canister-stand/05346.html . Please excuse the US-centric URL, MSR does sell their products in the UK.

GdS

« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2023, 08:25:12 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

it was a present so came with a 230g canister, I can see the 100g ones are smaller

Got a 100g proper Jetboil one from Blacks in store (£5.10 with NHS discount) it must be cheaper to fly to the Moon per 100g  :-\

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2023, 08:32:24 pm »
There are devices that will let you transfer gas from a large cannister (cheaper per 100g) to a small one. They are, of course, strongly warned against by gas cannister manufacturers, fire brigades, A&E departments, lawyers, etc. I know someone who uses them – he's still alive, but he's good at things like that. They do have to be used with great care and there is potential for the recipient gas cannister to explode.

Or you can use an alcohol burner (which would invalidate this whole thread, but also smells nicer).

« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2023, 08:41:11 pm »
Some of the reviews on Amazon state that the small canisters will start to leak after they've been refilled a few times. Given that the canisters are meant to be disposable, it's not surprising that the valve would start to show some wear after a bit. I've used the refilling device to consolidate a few partially filled canisters, but even that is a nuisance. Unless I'm really desperate to keep my pack weight down, my inclination is to just carry the leftover canister on my next trip, and use it up before I start a fresh canister. Like GdS says, the cost of 100g canisters is a bit ridiculous.

« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:09:25 pm »
There are devices that will let you transfer gas from a large cannister (cheaper per 100g) to a small one. They are, of course, strongly warned against by gas cannister manufacturers, fire brigades, A&E departments, lawyers, etc. I know someone who uses them – he's still alive, but he's good at things like that. They do have to be used with great care and there is potential for the recipient gas cannister to explode.

Or you can use an alcohol burner (which would invalidate this whole thread, but also smells nicer).

See http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2023/07/refilling-recycling-backpacking-stove.html 

https://www.flipfuel.co/en-gb        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqaJqVrwqo
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:20:49 pm »
I've punctured an empty cannister in the hope that it could be recycled – no go. Even with a series of obvious holes around the top, they wouldn't take it. I guess they have rules. Fair enough. I just used the spike on a Swiss army knife, it worked well enough. But I didn't have a hammer heavy enough to flatten the empty cannister. Perhaps that would have done the trick? Or maybe not. As ever, your recycling may vary.

« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:26:52 pm »
Different recycling centers have different rules, as do the companies that buy the scrap metal from the recycling center. The local county operated recycling center used to cheerfully accept punctured canisters, until the company that bought their scrap metal decided that gas canisters were unsafe. The privately operated recycling center not too far away from me still accepts punctured canisters. Once the canister is punctured, any residual gas is going to vent to the atmosphere until the canister ends up containing mostly air with an undetectably small concentration of fuel, so flattening the canister shouldn't be an issue.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2023, 10:33:34 pm »
This wasn't a centre, this was the weekly household recycling collection. Flattening it might, perhaps, be an issue for them due to limited space for each type of material in their vehicle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 03 August, 2023, 01:20:00 am »
There's probably (or maybe not) a market for gas canisters printed to look like hair products, in order to persuade jobsworths that your empty can of butane is no more dangerous than all the other empty cans of butane they deal with on a regular basis.  A bit like those Van Moof bike boxes with the televisions printed on them.

Probably less convincing when it's the Coleman or Camping Gaz style cartridges, rather than the tall thin ones.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:06:19 pm »
The tall thin ones are only usable with a remote-cannister stove rather than the more common, and being discussed in this thread, cannister-top stoves. They're also, as you point out, similar in construction to hairspray, and therefore easily recyclable; or rather, easily collectible by recyclists. It's a shame cos there's a chunk of steel in the standard cannisters.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:21:45 pm »
In principle you could use one vertically with Anna Daptor (as the feed pipe would be above the liquid), but it would end really badly if it tipped over...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:24:02 pm »
They're too tall and narrow. It would fall over as soon as you put a pot on it. Especially if it required stirring.

« Reply #21 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:43:20 pm »
If you have the refill adapter you can use a tall can to refill a normal one. Plus the required click on adapter.

(Though I bought a tall can from Lidl recently and was surprised to find a screw fitting)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2023, 12:45:01 pm »
There must be almost as many standards for gas cartridges as for USB connectors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 03 August, 2023, 01:07:32 pm »
They're too tall and narrow. It would fall over as soon as you put a pot on it. Especially if it required stirring.

Yes, you'd need to dig a post hole for it with your TACTICAL TROWEL to stabilise it.  On the plus side, the thermal mass of the earth should help vaporise the butane.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 03 August, 2023, 01:12:16 pm »
Talking of TACTICAL TROWELS, this one has to be mentioned, just because of the name. It is of course Usanian so might be a genuine unwitting coincidence:
https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/products/boglerco-ultralight-backpacking-trowel