Author Topic: Carerra Subway Front Rack Recommendations  (Read 2129 times)

Carerra Subway Front Rack Recommendations
« on: 23 May, 2014, 02:24:52 pm »
I'm struggling to find a front rack thats suitable for my Carerra Subway. I tried going into Halfords and asking them, but they're about as much use as you know what.

Does anyone have a Carerra Subway with a front rack on it? Any suggestion?

Thanks

Re: Carerra Subway Front Rack Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2014, 02:29:00 pm »
If you're after one tha fits onto the mudguard eyelets and fork brake bolt look at the vavert one on sjs. It's only cheap but it'd do for light touring or commuting.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »
Hi Bumper.

The bike has front fork bolts and fork rake bolts to take a specific front rake. The problem is the disc brakes and the gape of the front forks.

Is this the one you mention...http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vavert-low-rider-rack-prod30448/

Cheers!

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »
They are low riders you've linked to. This is a rack
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vavert-advancer-front-rack-prod30449/

The disc can be a problem, it is on mine. I've had to use a long bolt and a tube spacer. If you've got fork mounts for low riders you can buy them or get a small rack that mounts to them and the crown. Your lbs should have them or can order one to fit.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:44:01 pm »
Hi Bumper.

The bike has front fork bolts and fork rake bolts to take a specific front rake. The problem is the disc brakes and the gape of the front forks.

Is this the one you mention...http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vavert-low-rider-rack-prod30448/

Cheers!

Tweed,

Most modern machines will have the necessary mountings for what are termed lowrider racks.   Depending upon what yours has different types of lowrider will fit.   Can you post a piccy or a link to a piccy of your forks.

The upper mount point, located half way up the fork blade, might be single sided to the outside only or double sided to both sides of the fork blade.   If it is the single sided type then you will need a rack with a hoop as in your link to prevent the carrier twisting into the front wheel.   A double-sided mount point enables the rack to be fixed so as not to swivel under pressure and therefore the hoop variety is not required although can still be fitted.

The lower mount point, located near the dropout, will be used single-sided from the outside only.

The other option is a 'rack' rather than lowriders as linked to by bumper above.

Hope that helps.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:59:55 pm »
Thanks bumper and polar bear.

Here is a photo of my front forks. any help is appreciated as I'm all new to this.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:07:26 pm »
Yup, standard lowrider mounts.

Does the upper mount point go all the way through the fork or is it on the outside only?

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »
It's on the outside only.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:08:57 pm »
What about the disc on the other side. It seems to stick out a bit

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »
What do you want the rack for?

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »
I would ideally want the rack to have a top shelf so that I can carry my tent on the shelf and panniers to both sides.

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »
The discs cause problems with front racks. This is a disc option for front panniers and tent rack

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3348&p=523125&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Pannier%20Racks&gclid=CLrE3IW8wr4CFdLHtAodUDMAoA

I'd go to your lbs and see what they've got, can get. Surly do a nice rack too.

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:38:01 pm »
They both look excellent, but I really like the look of that Surly.

Thanks very much for your help, it's really appreciated!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »
Old Man mountain do a brilliant front rack, available at Carradice, that is great for disc braked bikes.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2014, 02:05:29 pm »
I've been thinking about all of the items that I'm likely to need to carry and can probably do without the shelf on the front rack.

Polar Bear mentioned standard low rider mounts. Can anyone recommend a good pair. I've looked at tubus but there are so many to choose from.

FYI - My forks are approx. 30mm wide.

Cheers

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2014, 04:36:58 pm »
I'd say that the Blackburn Outpost linked to by Bumper ...

The discs cause problems with front racks. This is a disc option for front panniers and tent rack

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3348&p=523125&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Pannier%20Racks&gclid=CLrE3IW8wr4CFdLHtAodUDMAoA

I'd go to your lbs and see what they've got, can get. Surly do a nice rack too.

... is a good option.   Disk compatible and you can keep or remove the 'shelf'.

I prefer Tubus myself and would look to see if i could fit a Tubus Tara though to be honest I don't think one would work with a disk brake setup.