Author Topic: "25 inch frame. That means the same geometry on any 'Audax' frame?"  (Read 5931 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
The answer, it seems is no.

For 7 years I had a 25" Mercian Audax frame which served me well up until cracks developed in the frame either side of where the seat stays come into the seat tube  :'(

The frame had developed other 'issues' too including the need for a threadless BB and a number of stress cracks in the paintwork around the toptube and bottom bracket. I looked at a new frame and found the same Mercian frame would cost me over £900 which at £300 more than I paid in 2007,  was too steep for my liking.

After a bit of research, I bought a Bob Jackson Audax frame of the same size (25") thinking that all would be fine and transferred pretty much all of the old parts other than brakes and mudguards which needed to be replaced. This included the saddle and seatpost 'as was', naively   without much thought as to whether this would be any different between frames. There were some differences in ride that became apparent on the first extended trip up to the AUK AGM but none that worried me much at the time.

The only thing that was a persistent niggle was the saddle needed a bit of tweak upwards as it was tilted too far down at the nose causing me to push myself back onto the saddle. This I put down to a slight difference in geometry in the two frames however just tilting the saddle back to where I thought it should be this caused more problems than expected.

First thing, I noticed I was getting really sore knees on rolling but relatively short (100 mile) rides. I also started to get a persistent pain in my right hip and found myself having to use the gears a lot more than I have had to for a long time. The Primrose Path (which is not flat) brought these issues to the fore: I couldn't climb as quickly and I had to work significantly harder to keep any level of pace up on what is only a 100k ride. It might have been the weather, it might have been a lack of lumpy miles, it might have been the fact that I have a cold about me but I had to stop off at Evershot to stock up as I was completely tank out and didn't trust myself to get back to Corscombe safely. The same thing happened the weekend before on my ride from Exeter to Plymouth across Dartmoor; I could ride slowly but had no power and had to stop to refuel at Princetown as I was wiped out to the point of getting unsteady on the road.

What was also strange was that after both rides,  I was getting cramp in my hands and backs of my legs but not in the front of my thighs. in short, the bits of my legs that normally do the climbing work were not affected at all but the rest of me was working a lot harder and really suffering. In addition, sitting in the saddle was hard work and I only developed any power when I was out of it. Sure, I am heavier that I was this time last year (about half a stone), sure it's the start of the year, sure in the absence of lumpy rides since last August I am likely to find it a shock to the system but I didn't expect the knee pain, hip problem and debilitating exhaustion on what is a familiar and relatively short ride.

Then I had a brain wave and got the tape measure out (no, not to use on me...stick with it). It seems that although the seat tube length is the same (25"), the top tube length is at least 1" longer on the BJ (23.5")  than it was on the Mercian (22.5") and the distance between the tip of the saddle and top of the head tube is around 3/4 inch more.

I have moved the saddle forward and await the return of Thunder Thighs  :demon:

Watch this space...

H

Re: "25 inch frame. That means the same geometry on any 'Audax' frame?"
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2015, 05:20:40 pm »
Assuming the saddle tilted down because the seat tube angle is steeper, I'd be more inclined to move the saddle back in order to regain its original relationship to the pedals, then move the bars back to suit. That does mean buying a new, shorter extension.

« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »
Except that from the description (longer top tube, greater distance from saddle nose to headtube) I'd guess that the new steed had a shallower seat tube angle than the Mercian.

(ETA - looks like Mercian uses a 74deg seat-tube in this size; BJ doesn't appear to publish a geometry chart, but internet tittle-tattle suggests 73deg.)

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2015, 07:00:30 pm »
You can pretty much decipher Bob Jackson geometry from the world class cycles site in the USA, or more simply ring Donald. I think, from memory, that for the 'Audax' bikes they use a 73 degree seat tube angle (and steering as well iirc) and that the frames have the same top tube length as seat tube up to about 23 or 23.5 inches. After that they start to shorten the top tube relative to seat tube. The Mercian is quite short at 22.5 for a 25 inch frame.

Geometry is actually quite subtle - little things like 10 or 15mm difference in bottom bracket drop/height can make a big difference in how a bike feels. The Spa Audax (in 58cm/23 inches) has a 175mm top tube - not long, but not super short until you realise that it has 12.5mm less bottom bracket drop than something like a Kinesis GF Ti, which also has a 200mm head tube. The 37.5mm gap can lead to a lot of spacers on the Spa to get the bars high enough and makes the bike feel quite tall and aggressive, despite the more relaxed angles. Similarly, top tube length grows with falling seat tube angle and, may, then be 'corrected' by moving the saddle fore/aft. You can have hours of fun working out whether a bike will fit, or even more hours swapping stems and spacers or you can spend money on a bikefit and hope they get you right;)

Mike

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
My BJ is 24 inches the top tube is 23

Hummers

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »
Assuming the saddle tilted down because the seat tube angle is steeper, I'd be more inclined to move the saddle back in order to regain its original relationship to the pedals, then move the bars back to suit. That does mean buying a new, shorter extension.

That's a point about the fact the saddle was pointing down but I wonder if I remembered that bit correctly plus that wouldn't explain why my legs tell another story. Neither would it explain why the saddle nose is further away from the handlebar stem on the Bob Jackson than on the Mercian. So I have been out in the garage with the tape measure under the cover of darkness to find out what the whole story is.   :P

It transpires that the Mercian has both a shorter top tube and down tube (by about an inch) which moved the seat tube forward but still in parallel with the Bob Jackson. I have moved the saddle forward and will see what happens on the next outing.

H

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2015, 10:23:26 pm »
If you leave the saddle forward you'll probably end up taking more weight on your wrists.  Try taking your hands off the bar in your normal riding position to see what I mean.  Ian's right - you need to get the relationship between the saddle and bottom bracket right first, then adjust for reach.

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2015, 10:56:45 pm »
If you want to know what's going on start by thinking that the main triangle isn't one but two triangles, a front one and a back one. Measure from a vertical going through the bb centre. You can have a shorter top tube that is actually longer in front and shorter in the back (the De4 that I am giving to Cat is like that; trying to get comfortable on it is how I learnt). This is where seat angle comes into play.

I have learnt from experience that for me the back of the saddle is the critical bit. It has to be 32cm behind the bb axle at my saddle height. Swapping between bikes is easy then 'cos I set that first (playing with saddles and seat posts until it comes right or chucking the frame away if it won't) and worry about stem lengths after. Stick a pair of wheels on a frame to put it on its working level and measure (string and weight dangled over bb shell and measures on the top tube)

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2015, 07:44:22 am »
IF you still have old frame---worth measuring up the saddle nose / BB centre distance and comparing to new frame (put pair wheels in old frame, put seatpost + saddle back as original, put bike upright with back wheel against a wall and measure using wall as standard reference point---I`ve ended up doing this for each bike I have too !)

Manufacturer vary so much on frame measurement reference ie C-C or C-T downtube for frame size, actual or virtual (horizontal) TT length ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2015, 10:39:40 am »
If you leave the saddle forward you'll probably end up taking more weight on your wrists.  Try taking your hands off the bar in your normal riding position to see what I mean.  Ian's right - you need to get the relationship between the saddle and bottom bracket right first, then adjust for reach.

+1.

Except that saddle fore/aft is to get the relationship between the hip ball joints and the BB correct. ( which can be different between 'racing' and touring )

If the frame's seat angle is correct for upper/lower leg lengths, the saddle will be in mid position with a 1 " setback seatpin.

Note. Seatpins with 30+ mm of setback are for cyclists who like to ride long distances in comfort on a frame designed for racing.
NB. If one does, one needs to fit a shorter stem to compensate, to get the lumbar vertebrae at the correct angle to the saddle top surface.

Best to get a bike fit.

« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »
My Ellis Briggs is an off the peg 60cm/23.5" frame* whereas my other bikes are 62cm/24.5", however the EB has a 5mm longer TT and the difference due to the higher saddle is increased to 20mm.   It also has rather wider bars than the other bikes.

It is a very quick bike but I couldn't work out why it was I found the ride a bit 'odd' and uncomfortable. However, very recently I turned the bars to raise the hoods a little and am amazed at the difference the small change made.   Now I will have to move the hoods properly and re-tape. 

*their largest at that time,  should have paid the extra £100 for a custom built.  EB now offer the larger size as standard.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: 27 February, 2015, 08:03:07 pm »
one question about the op, was the mercian a custom, or off the peg?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2015, 12:04:06 am »
After a winter on the Genesis Day 1 single-speed (supposedly stressing my thighs out) I did 100km on the Condor Fratello last weekend.

Without a word of a lie it wiped me out for about 4 days afterwards. I was struggling up hills, in low gears, that I would have flown up (well, relatively) on the Single-speed.

I don't think it takes more than a few millimetres difference, in saddle height, fore-aft, crank-length and so on to make a big difference in required effort.
It woke up muscles near my knees that must have laid dormant over winter.

It really woke me up to the fact that I need to ride the Fratello almost exclusively up to PBP in order to make it feel as comfy, and effortless, as it was in 2011.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #13 on: 28 February, 2015, 01:30:53 pm »
Hooray for this thread!

Have been discussing frame geometry recently in the light of my Custom build .... which went wrong ... BUT is being sorted.

Background:
Have always ridden road bikes, mostly decent 531 approx 22/23" frames or similar and with one exception always end up having the saddle as far back on the rails as it will go.  The exception is a late 50s 23" Holdsworth with very slack seat tube indeed.

When I had a few quid I wanted a fast Audaxy style bike for long days in the saddle summer and winter.  There were loads of good off the peg choices, but I still felt that I'd end up with the seat right back on the rails and me trying to sit on the rear rivets again, so I decided to go custom and after visiting 'Bespoke' chose a framebuilder.  I was very clear in my explaination of how the bike should be with a slack seat-tube etc.  At the measuring I actually took several bikes along to show that this was a consistent issue.  We did the bike fit and after I still stated that for the finalised saddle position I wanted the seat-post laid back to give more rear-set saddle room.  Somehow this major fact got lost in translation.  When I saw the bike my first comment was 'That looks small' and when I saw the Brooks saddle as far back as it would go on a very laid back seatpost (ex-Giant donor bike) I knew they had it wrong.  To be fair they let me take the bike and ride it for however long it took and see how it felt.

On the road after a few 30 to 40 milers, it felt too short. in the TT even with a longer stem than I had specified (the front end is another issue), but the major point was relative to the bottom bracket I could not get the seat far enough back to be comfortable.  I wasn't balanced (Peter Whites Bike Fit article is brilliant here).  My legs didn't ache particularly but they didn't work well either,  it was hard work and not relaxed.  My back was arched and energy wasted pushing myself back onto the rear of the saddle.  My hands and neck hurt and  because my elbows were straighter my head hurt after a while due to the jarring of the front end.  It was a powerful position for a sprint but not good for a day in the saddle and not what I had specified.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I got out the tape measure.  Compared to my most comfortable bike '82 Holdsworth Elan, the seat to BB distance was slightly shorter.  How to convey this after lots of measuring was difficult.
In the end when I returned to the framebuilder I took a standard layback seatpost on a wooden dowel (a virtual seat-tube), held the dowel end on the centre of the BB and the top with seat post attached at the point on the saddle rails where I needed it to be.  We then measured the angle and the distance from the BB vertical to saddle-nose.  The virtual seat-tube in the 'right' position for me comes out as 71.5 degrees and adds 2cm to the length of the TT behind the BB.  The standard seat-tube angle is 73 degrees.   It was an interesting process taling about position, and frame dimensions, putting the data into the CAD software it's a complex business and some of us humans are more non-standard than others and frame sizes are not equal.

Hummers situation seems the opposite to mine, but the issue of seat-tube angle i.s an interesting one in where it puts you relative to the BB.  Interestingly in the early 80s there were a lot of tall (25") frames with short Top Tubes, Raleigh made a load, steep angles were also more in vogue in the later 70s too.

I think this is one of the most important dimensions of a frame to know.  How much TT in front and how much TT behind the BB.  I have a clubmate who like me needs extreme layback seatposts to make his bikes work for him (Velo orange do a 40mm post).  Another clubmate upgraded from an older tope end Giant to the latest model and after very close scrutiny of the sizing and geometry data just could not make it work.  So it's complex!
Am now waiting for my rebuild frame, I hope we got it right.

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2015, 08:09:52 am »
Hmmmmm.... the situation has not improved so I have reverted to this thread and scoured the posts f0r suggestions.

On flatish/rolling terrain, I have been fast but in more testing countryside I have been pretty slow. This is no doubt linked to the fact I am a stone heavier than I was this time last year but cannot be the whole story. For example, week on week I have become slower on our Wednesday night rides where I used to be at the front - especially on the climbs. Also, by now, my legs would normally be online but they seem to be just flabby appendages. :facepalm:

Have taken Ian's advice and shortened the stem - moving the saddle back to its original position. The new stem is 3cm shorter aand puts me more or less where I was looking down towards the front hub i.e. handlebars are just in front of the front hub rather than waaayyyy forwards of it.

Will see what happens and report.

H

« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2015, 08:45:36 am »
I didn't get on with a bike for a long while despite trying the usual shorter stem, move the saddle tactics. Then I rotated the bars a little so the hoods were slightly higher.  The difference was a big improvement, don't ask me why.  It was an off-the-peg frame from Ellis Briggs.  Nice bike to ride but it'll never fit as well as my custom Roberts. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:06:05 am »
Hmmmmm.... the situation has not improved so I have reverted to this thread and scoured the posts f0r suggestions.

On flatish/rolling terrain, I have been fast but in more testing countryside I have been pretty slow. This is no doubt linked to the fact I am a stone heavier than I was this time last year but cannot be the whole story. For example, week on week I have become slower on our Wednesday night rides where I used to be at the front - especially on the climbs. Also, by now, my legs would normally be online but they seem to be just flabby appendages. :facepalm:

Have taken Ian's advice and shortened the stem - moving the saddle back to its original position. The new stem is 3cm shorter aand puts me more or less where I was looking down towards the front hub i.e. handlebars are just in front of the front hub rather than waaayyyy forwards of it.

Will see what happens and report.

H

I understood the 'rule of thumb' as 'the handlebars should obscure the front hub'.

That is, when your hands are in a 'usual' place on the bars.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
is it possible to build up the old bike again and measure it up? the key dimensions, imo, are: saddle hight from pedal axle to the top of the saddle (when the crank is inline with the seatpost), saddle tip to pedal axle (with cranks parallel to the ground) measured horizontally with the help of plumb line; distance from saddle tip to handlebars; and handlebar hight in reference to saddle hight.

there are very few stock frames that work for me, but the ones that do i can ride in comfort for days.

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
is it possible to build up the old bike again and measure it up? the key dimensions, imo, are: saddle hight from pedal axle to the top of the saddle (when the crank is inline with the seatpost), saddle tip dimples to pedal axle (with cranks parallel to the ground) measured horizontally with the help of plumb line; distance from saddle tip dimples  to handlebars; and handlebar hight in reference to saddle hight.
I've bought bikes straight from the net and got the dimensions right, following this (with the amendments I've made; saddle tip is too dependent on the saddle and angle).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2015, 12:08:39 pm »
IIRC, Mike Burrows wrote an article refering to 'Saddle tip to handlebars'. My fitting guy called it 'Mythamatics'.

mrcharly is correct in saying 'dimples' as this is where the rider's hip ball joints will be.

« Reply #20 on: 09 June, 2015, 01:02:26 pm »
Can't add any more but to empathise with your situation.

As an update I got the revised custom frame back some 6 months ago, with the 71.5 degree seat angle and the extra 4cm in the TT compared to their standard bike-fit metrics and I have to say the bike is a revelation.  I'm notably faster on it, climb better and more comfortable over long distances.  Better than any bike I've ever owned (and been 'fitted' for).  I feel properly planted such that all my legs need to do is go round rather than using energy to stay on the bike if that makes sense.
It took nearly a year to get right and was pretty frustrating, but absolutely worth it in the long run.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #21 on: 09 June, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »
is it possible to build up the old bike again and measure it up? the key dimensions, imo, are: saddle hight from pedal axle to the top of the saddle (when the crank is inline with the seatpost), saddle tip dimples to pedal axle (with cranks parallel to the ground) measured horizontally with the help of plumb line; distance from saddle tip dimples  to handlebars; and handlebar hight in reference to saddle hight.
I've bought bikes straight from the net and got the dimensions right, following this (with the amendments I've made; saddle tip is too dependent on the saddle and angle).

i was measuring for the same saddle (everyone has their favourite ones?), but yes, if the saddle are different then dimples. however there are no dimples on most foam saddles (they are still comfy though!), so it's a bit hit and miss.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #22 on: 09 June, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »
Are you the same height as me?  I don't remember
Anyway - let's review what we know

1) the old Mercian worked for you and was comfortable
2) the new BJ (that stands for Bob Jackson and not anything else) is not so good
3) the geometry of the two bikes is different

so therefore the problem is with the geometry
you've tried minor tweaks and they did not work
so you need a different frame

measure the old Mercian and see what frames are available in a similar geometry.  I would suggest that the two critical dimensions are the headtube length and the "virtual tube tube" (VTT)  VTT is the length of the tube tube if it was a horizontal non sloping tube

why I was asking how tall you were is that I have recently re-framed my old audax bike with a cheap Al Ridley frame and I think it is pretty comfy.  You could borrow the whole bike for a couple of weeks and try it out - assuming we are about the same height.  It will not be the same geometry as your Mercian, I like really long head tubes

I am a total of 6'2" and have 34" inside leg

« Reply #23 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:16:04 pm »
I've got 2 bikes on which I feel I have got my optimal long distance position, acquired through years of trial and error. Now, on the (sadly) rare occurrence of me getting a new frame, I carefully replicate this position. Firstly, I set the saddle at the right height. Then I set the saddle the same distance behind the bottom bracket as I usually have it. Having done that, the sitting position is the familiar one, regardless of frame angles. Then I make the reach to the bars correct by playing around with stems in my parts bin. And I get the bars the right height relative to the saddle. With all that done, I might as well be on one of my old, familiar bikes. I keep my specs written on the garage wall in chalk.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #24 on: 09 June, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »
I've got 2 bikes on which I feel I have got my optimal long distance position, acquired through years of trial and error. Now, on the (sadly) rare occurrence of me getting a new frame, I carefully replicate this position. Firstly, I set the saddle at the right height. Then I set the saddle the same distance behind the bottom bracket as I usually have it. Having done that, the sitting position is the familiar one, regardless of frame angles. Then I make the reach to the bars correct by playing around with stems in my parts bin. And I get the bars the right height relative to the saddle. With all that done, I might as well be on one of my old, familiar bikes. I keep my specs written on the garage wall in chalk.

i agree with all that, except that not every bikes geometry allows the required adjustments (e.g. seat angle change of 1 degree will move the saddle ~13mm fore/aft). it is important to know this before acquiring a new frame.