Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888538 times)

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #700 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:36:23 pm »
Chris, Chris CHRIS - have you remembered  to go & untie the dear lady & let her out of the garage ? Or perhaps you secretly enjoyed it  :o
Where have all the hedges gone ?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #701 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:58:55 pm »
Tonight was a new experience for Mrs. TKP and I. The outer promenade at St. Annes offers several miles of uninterrupted cycling and it is wide and fairly quiet. We decided to turn it into a training ground for keeping fit of an evening. The idea was to pootle along it and back tonight and set a slow time as a measure. It turns out to be six miles round trip. Considering we normally cycle at about 11mph we were suprised to average 16.3. So the gauntlet is down now, next target 17mph. We came back through St. Annes Square where the usual Monday biker gathering takes place. Several hundred motorbikes do make an impressive scene. We got several smiles as we wheeled our steeds through the melee.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #702 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:01:53 pm »
yellow-ceitidh had a teacher training day, and I was working from home, so we went out for a lunch-time pootle. Only 8 miles instead of the usual lunch-hour 16, but very pleasant.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #703 on: 04 June, 2008, 04:17:40 pm »
Been out for a "lunchbreak" ride to Malham ,I told myself if I felt ok  I would ride up past the tarn as it is one of my fittness barometers.The sign at the bottom ominously bodes 20% ,I could feel Captain paranoi leaping onto my shoulder but carried on .I hate getting off ,so plugged away I was nearly up my lungs bursting legs burning sometimes almost by reflex I click down for another gear despite the fact I know there isnt one only this time there was!!I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.Its fantastic limestone country and the return is pretty much a blast,and the weather was glorious

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #704 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:49:28 pm »
*sigh*
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #705 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:04:05 pm »
Supposed to be going out tonight for a ten but have been feeling poorly all week. Fortunately the chap I was goingto give a lift to went with his dad. There was no way IO could have done more than just ride round, with a probable toilet stop en route. No chance of doing anything like a decent time.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #706 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:13:27 pm »
Just had a nice little sixteen mile circuit with a pub stop three miles from home. It was chillier than I expected and shouldn't really have stopped for a pint. I think that particular route, St. Annes, Lytham, Westby, Wrea Green, Warton, Moss Side, Lytham, St. Annes, may become a summertime evening regular. Very nice indeed.

annie

« Reply #707 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:40:45 pm »
Not on the bike no but ran this morning.  Swam for an hour tonight, the first time for years, since I had my shoulder operated on, am so pleased and had such a wonderful time.  I think my speed hasn't suffered much at all.  Am ravenous and have eaten as much as is humanly possible.

vince

« Reply #708 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:46:34 pm »
A beautiful evening. Monday I was on call, yesterday I felt guilty about not going out as it was drizzly - but it was worth saving myself  8)

28 miles: Chesterfield - Barlow - Owler Bar - Longshaw Estate - Frogatt - Curbar - Beeley Moor - Chesterfield.

The pictures aren't up to much as I took them as I rode along. This couple are as I struggled up the hill out of Curbar itself:

The balloon seemed like a much more sensible idea at this point.

People ask why I live in Chesterfield. Part of the answer is that this is a short ride away after work :)

[edit] Nice to hear about the swim Annie. Are you recalling muscles you had forgotten?

annie

« Reply #709 on: 05 June, 2008, 06:34:12 am »
Lovely photos Vince, looks like a hot air balloon in the background.

As for forgotten muscles, erm yes just a little bit.  I have a huge bruise on one of my biceps, I had to heave myself out of the pool when I suffered with cramp in my big toe and caught my arm on the side.  Woke up in the night very thirsty and hungry :)

CathH

« Reply #710 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:23:03 am »
Just The Best morning for cycling here. Sunny, cool, still and full of birdsong. Having two new episodes of The News Quiz on the iPod just topped it off, really. Saw a magpie family teaching Junior where to find grubs at the base of hedgerows. They were rootling around under leaves like blackbirds!

« Reply #711 on: 05 June, 2008, 05:39:43 pm »
A spiffing day with long short cuts, proper tea in pots, the last pint of London Pride in the pub and just the right amount of sunshine and shade.
But now I'm home I'll have to go out after dinner to do the last 16Km to round up to a statute century.

« Reply #712 on: 05 June, 2008, 05:41:52 pm »
I'm going now... Bye!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Chris S

« Reply #713 on: 05 June, 2008, 07:56:52 pm »
Internet connection was pants today, and today's work required a lot of downloading of stuff. So I set off the download (est time: 2 hours  ::-)) and...

Rode with #1 Son back up to Holkham Hall (he's a chef at the Victoria Hotel, and had popped home for the night). Lovely ride - tried a new route which ended up passing Sculthorpe Mill, a lovely pub on the Wensum, just West of Fakenham. Must go back there for a pint sometime.

Had a pint with the lad at the Vic, before leaving him there (the staff are live-in there) and riding home. Needless to say, it rained. It didn't matter - it was a lovely ride.

Another 85km clocked up on the Pompino.

Sadly, all my stuff has downloaded, so must get cracking with work now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #714 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:03:45 pm »
Commute-cum-pubootle with F. Bloke Esq. to Crooked Billet in Leigh.

I wasn't on form and have been feeling distinctly queasy since: I think my guts were a bit squiffy anyway and the anchovies, olives and cockles exacerbated the situation.

Shortly before we left a young man on a brand new Pompino rode past and we tried to give chase because he was about to ride the "cinder path" and the tide was high. We felt that perhaps he was an inexperienced fixer and there might be an amusing immersion event, but we didn't see him again. Perhaps he drowned...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #715 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »
Second commutle on the re-roadified Cannondale, picked up the trailer for next week's shenanigans, then nearly bonked in a headwind!  Aiee!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Analog Kid

• aka noquitelance
« Reply #716 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:16:06 pm »
A glorious 12 miles in our corner of North Worcestershire this morning before going to work. Sunshine at 7am and I have to smile everytime I see the sign for Timberhonger Lane, such a great name.

:)
Books are for tourists...

« Reply #717 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:41:02 pm »
Well I went out again to top up, see up thread, and now end the day with 176Km.
And I did a good turn when a lady dropped her chain off the front rings on the seafront. When I got to her she had just got her fingers oily on the chain. So I lifted the bike, turned the pedals and asked her to select the large chainring. After a bit it was on and she was happy as Larry (I still don't know who he is, but he is a happy chappy) and I had clean hands still.  ;)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #718 on: 05 June, 2008, 08:49:51 pm »
I wasn't on form and have been feeling distinctly queasy since: I think my guts were a bit squiffy anyway and the anchovies, olives and cockles exacerbated the situation.
No adverse reaction here!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #719 on: 05 June, 2008, 09:46:33 pm »
No adverse reaction here!

No, I think I may have already been a tad on the queasy side. Feeling better now though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #720 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:24:12 pm »
Commute to work.  Cars are pretty irrelevant on the route because so much of it is in bus lanes :thumbsup:

Down to North Peckham for a meeting - lovely little ride.  Couldn't believe I was working while gently (so as not to get sweaty) pootling along quiet roads.

After work, three minutes up to London Bridge, and a sit down with the paper & a coffee to wait for Southwark Cyclists to appear for their after work ride.  They seemed to congregate around me quite by chance.  Couple of faces I recognised out of the peloton of about thirteen, off over Tower Bridge and along teh riverside, then up the canal to Victoria Park in Hackney to see the two stone shelters which used to be on London Bridge.  Back down to the Docklands Museum to see the model of the bridge, then in to London to St Magnus Martyr church (Wren), now hidden among modern buildings, but once a magnificent landmark of the entrance to the City of London at the north end of the old bridge.  There are a few pieces of stone in the churchyard from the old bridge.

Over London Bridge at last, then winding through the back streets to a pub which bears the coat of arms from the main gateway on London Bridge, and finally, to another of the niches in the middle of a garden at Guy's Hospital, with a statue of John Keats seated inside.

A rewarding ride - great fun, even if the pace was a bit much for some of the more leisurely riders.

Then home along my commuting route, through the long summer twilight, watching & listening to the birds of the evening.
Getting there...

« Reply #721 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:26:10 pm »
Commute to work.  Cars are pretty irrelevant on the route because so much of it is in bus lanes :thumbsup:

Down to North Peckham for a meeting - lovely little ride.  Couldn't believe I was working while gently (so as not to get sweaty) pootling along quiet roads.

After work, three minutes up to London Bridge, and a sit down with the paper & a coffee to wait for Southwark Cyclists to appear for their after work ride.  They seemed to congregate around me quite by chance.  Couple of faces I recognised out of the peloton of about thirteen, off over Tower Bridge and along teh riverside, then up the canal to Victoria Park in Hackney to see the two stone shelters which used to be on London Bridge.  Back down to the Docklands Museum to see the model of the bridge, then in to London to St Magnus Martyr church (Wren), now hidden among modern buildings, but once a magnificent landmark of the entrance to the City of London at the north end of the old bridge.  There are a few pieces of stone in the churchyard from the old bridge.

Over London Bridge at last, then winding through the back streets to a pub which bears the coat of arms from the main gateway on London Bridge, and finally, to another of the niches in the middle of a garden at Guy's Hospital, with a statue of John Keats seated inside.

A rewarding ride - great fun, even if the pace was a bit much for some of the more leisurely riders.

Then home along my commuting route, through the long summer twilight, watching & listening to the birds of the evening.

I was in the City of London today at a meeting in Cornhill. I was envious of the people blatting around in the sunshine.

« Reply #722 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:41:31 pm »

I used to be a regular on Southwarks's Afterworkers - then, for some reason I found it really tricky to co-ordinate these once I had a job - more  a reflection of me, rather than Southwark Cyclists.
However, tonight was a welcome return to the fold.
Meeting up with faces I've not seen in a while. Meeting up with faces I'd not expected (Clarion).
Alan's intermittent banter on the history of London Bridge was more than engaging.
Although I had to escape the ride prior to completion, it was a thoroughly enjoyable early evening jaunt, which Alan had clearly gone to some considerable effort, to make as interesting and informative as could be.

A midweek balm for the soul - to nick a phrase from an esteemed another ;-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #723 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:51:14 pm »
A great joy to see you, Jurek.  For once, it wasn't me in the ACF gear! ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #724 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:58:55 pm »
A great joy to see you, Jurek.  For once, it wasn't me in the ACF gear! ;)
;D ;D ;D
It makes a change from the @$$0$ uniform - don't quite know what made me do it  :D