Author Topic: What Wahoo mount for MTB/35mm bars?  (Read 851 times)

What Wahoo mount for MTB/35mm bars?
« on: 27 December, 2021, 02:37:43 pm »
Have a new Wahoo Roam but the standard mount does not fit my MTB (35mm, not 31.8mm) bars...  ::-)

So, i've been looking into mount options & most routes seem to end up with a very-spendy k-edge option...  :'(

The stem is far too short to put a mount on, so what do people use to mount them on 35mm bars?  a top-cap mount?  a k-edge out front mount? a stem face plate extender mount?  something else?

Thanks in advance,

Re: What Wahoo mount for MTB/35mm bars?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2021, 02:58:09 pm »
I don’t know what sort of mount the Wahoo uses but I solved a very similar problem with a £5 top cap Garmin mount from Fleabay.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:51:43 pm »
Why not just use the stem mount on the bars? As they fix on using zip ties, the extra dimension of the MTB bar shouldn’t be a problem. Costs circa £12 each.

I use the stem mounts on my road bars with no issues.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2021, 04:58:17 pm »
Why not just use the stem mount on the bars? As they fix on using zip ties, the extra dimension of the MTB bar shouldn’t be a problem. Costs circa £12 each.
It did come with a stem mount which I have fitted on the bars this afternoon, but the radius is quite mis-matched so it wont sit on the widest part well at all - I have placed it a few inches down the bars for now! ;)

For a tenner I may give this top cap mount a go (which claims to do either Wahoo or Garmin): https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-garmin-wahoo-bike-top-cap-mount/rp-prod173800?gs=1&sku=sku657013&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aWOBhDMARIsAIXLlkdPUjXBhXrPi1QAUx-Sn7t15jDSzcVKhgCfS6UiNn27MspU_WA4i9caAurjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2021, 05:20:19 pm »
I have a mount attached to the stem bolts. Acquired from fleabay I expect. On my flat bar bike.
it is central, low cos it had to go on the lower bolts,  and seems ok.
I did not know then of the option to fit on top cap, so I might explore that further Now.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2021, 12:04:49 pm »
Anything mounted to the top cap is prone to knee strike on my set ups.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2021, 12:30:17 pm »
Most 3rd party garmin mount on which the tthingumy can be rotated 90 degrees will hold a wahoo at the right orientation.

I discovered this after paying extra for a wahoo tthingumy for a kedge.

I've got a couple of JRC ones and an Über bike components one Superstar are always out of stock when I need.

The problem is of course they're all expensive cnc ones not cheap plastic mouldings.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2022, 04:40:57 pm »
Most 3rd party garmin mount on which the tthingumy can be rotated 90 degrees will hold a wahoo at the right orientation.

I discovered this after paying extra for a wahoo tthingumy for a kedge.

I've got a couple of JRC ones and an Über bike components one Superstar are always out of stock when I need.

The problem is of course they're all expensive cnc ones not cheap plastic mouldings.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks - the stem top-cap mount seems OK whilst going round the block, will see if it's still good after something a bit rougher  :thumbsup: