Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 97372 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #525 on: 23 January, 2022, 05:33:22 am »
Likewise here. GWS Dumpy.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #526 on: 23 January, 2022, 07:15:51 pm »
Fingers crossed for him.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #527 on: 23 January, 2022, 08:25:02 pm »
He's been shot up with antibiotics and is home.  No painkillers/anti-inflammatories though, so his temp is still sky-high and he's miserable.  Is drinking and weeing ok.  Back tomorrow for a temperature check, and I think he needs a good dose of Metacam.  They were worried about doing that in case it was a kidney problem but we need to get him eating.  Mind you, he's fat enough to last a while without food!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #528 on: 24 January, 2022, 09:54:40 pm »
Update: saw nice "cat vet", who gave him Metacam and an appetite stimulant.  He's been brighter and not h7ding asay, but still hasn't eaten so is very weak.  Drinking lots of water - he got dehydrated in hospital.  Temp was down half a degree before the Metacam.

I think he may well have Covid, given the breathing difficulties and high fever.  I daren't swab his tonsils, though.  I need my hands.

« Reply #529 on: 25 January, 2022, 01:50:57 pm »
  I daren't swab his tonsils, though.  I need my hands.

You only need to stick it up his nose now tho...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

« Reply #530 on: 26 January, 2022, 11:54:59 am »
He's had a feeding tube inserted and is home.  There's no obvious cause so he just needs to sweat it out.

rogerzilla

« Reply #531 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:16:39 am »
He is showing a bit of interest in food now and ate a few Dreamies (first food by mouth for over a week).  He may be turning a corner.  Seeing the local vet this morning for a temperature check and dressing change.  I expect his fever has abated.

Still no idea what it is, but if he were still a stray, the buzzards would be eating him by now.

rogerzilla

« Reply #532 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:30:00 am »
Temp 39, much happier.  Tube can come out on Monday if he is eating well by then.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #533 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:46:49 am »
 :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #534 on: 28 January, 2022, 12:39:51 pm »
good news
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #535 on: 29 January, 2022, 05:59:22 pm »
Has most of his bounce back.  Grazing rather than eating meals, so I'm tube feeding a reduced amount.  Tube can stay in for weeks if it needs to, apparently.  Removal involves cutting one stitch, pulling it out and adding one new stitch, all under mild sedation.  Remarkable, really.  The oesophagus seals itself.

« Reply #536 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:29:47 am »
Hope he continues to make good progress.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #537 on: 12 February, 2022, 07:44:36 am »
Aussie daughter’s Pomeranian was attacked by a ridgeback. It sounds very much as though the little one is lucky to be alive.

It seems that the ridgeback, only on its first day from rescue, snapped its lead. Luckily, daughter’s chap managed to get their dog out of its jaws before it was shaken. It seems there’s a puncture wound but no vital organs seem damaged.

Daughter has two poms. This was the younger, and smaller, at 11 months and 3kg. The ridgeback was probably about 50kg. The woman in charge of the ridgeback was distraught. It seems the rescue centre had passed it onto her with “no known issues”.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #538 on: 12 February, 2022, 01:19:22 pm »
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a ridgeback with 'no issues'. They are bred for aggression and hunting and require extreme handling. Plus a lot of strength. (I knew people who were mauled by their own dogs.)

Much sympathy for your daughter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #539 on: 12 February, 2022, 03:13:02 pm »
We used to have one & he was a lovely, placid dog.  Agree with you about the need for strength though, he would pull you around if you'd let him. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #540 on: 10 March, 2022, 12:22:05 pm »
M'Julie in Whitstable has a ridgeback from a rescue home. It is the soppiest dog you're ever likely to encounter, and will cower from dogs much smaller than itself.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #541 on: 24 March, 2022, 06:54:22 pm »
And, she is gone...

Last year she had a lump I'd discovered, removed. It was malignant and not nice. We'd been weighing her, and having health checks, no problems, Saturday, she started breathing a bit shallowly, but was in good spirits. She was booked in to go to vets today, but daughter was looking after them last night and took her to emergency as she was in distress. Died as she was being examined.  :'(
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #542 on: 24 March, 2022, 07:09:20 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry Jaded, what a lovely cat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #543 on: 24 March, 2022, 07:13:17 pm »
 :(

« Reply #544 on: 24 March, 2022, 07:13:49 pm »
Sorry to hear that Jaded.  :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #545 on: 25 March, 2022, 12:05:28 am »
Thanks, it was a shock and here is a brain-dump of things about her.

We called her The Terminator, because she would just not give up. She had a tough upbringing, a failed breeding dam, then off to some friends who run a B&B. Cali loved sitting on people's shoulders, and stealing food. Not good for a B&B cat. She ate most things, broccoli, cake, biscuits, bread. She was a small cat, but she also had to be Top Cat, which as they already had two strong cat characters was never going to work out. So she got shipped back to the breeders, and we said we would take her. We got a kitten too, but Cali was not one to be motherly, far from it. She was aloof and damaged, and stared at you - as if sucking your soul out. That was 8 year ago, when she was 6. Last year the B&B friends asked us how "That Thing" was doing - it was great to be able to say that she was settled and happy. She mellowed as she realised this was her home and we liked her. Although she would eat anything, she had allergies from food. So she'd get scabby. Bloody patches that she relentlessly scratched. We largely solved that with hypoallergenic food, and she only lapsed into scabby-abbyness when she stole food.

A few years ago we ended up looking after a dog for a weekend. Friends had said they would look after her, but forgot they were away. The trouble with the dog was that she bullied cats relentlessly. We said that was no problem as our cats would make themselves scarce (as our friends cat had done - disappeared upstairs whilst Myrtle stayed). So, Myrtle arrives, and settles in the kitchen. I forget that the cats are supposed to be kept away from this cat-terroriser. There was an almighty howling and I went to the kitchen, where Myrtle was cowering in a corner. Cali just sat, staring at her, Terminator style.

Myrtle never bothered any cats again.

She loved men and company and was so characterful. We are all very sad. Although it was very quick, there was no time to say goodbye. Good for her, but sad for us.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #546 on: 25 March, 2022, 09:27:15 am »
Good eulogy.

Sorry to hear this, there will be an absence in your life.  Cats and dogs aren't pets, they are companions in life.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #547 on: 25 March, 2022, 06:00:54 pm »
Jaded, I am sorry. Thank you for sharing a bit about Cali, I always love reading about pets' histories and personalities and it sounds like she had enough of both for several cats.

« Reply #548 on: 25 March, 2022, 06:26:21 pm »
That's tough, JD. Commiserations.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #549 on: 25 March, 2022, 07:35:29 pm »
So sorry to hear this jaded.   It's so hard when you loose a friend and family member.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.