Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 225695 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #1150 on: 25 November, 2019, 01:44:33 am »
Rhiannon Giddens, RFH on Friday. Really rather good.

(And it appears she was doing good works the night before - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/wormwood-scrubs-blues-inside-the-gig-mixing-prisoners-with-the-free)

« Reply #1151 on: 25 November, 2019, 08:55:26 am »
Rhiannon Giddens, RFH on Friday. Really rather good.

(And it appears she was doing good works the night before - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/22/wormwood-scrubs-blues-inside-the-gig-mixing-prisoners-with-the-free)

We're going to see her in Edin on Sunday

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1152 on: 03 December, 2019, 08:34:19 am »
I was at the Barrowlands last night for the Idles gig. A long time since I've been to anything so loud and energetic  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1153 on: 05 December, 2019, 01:53:56 am »
Whereas David & I were at the Queen Elizabeth Hall watching Yevgeny Sudbin playing Scarlatti, Tchaikovsky and Ravel, from rather yellowed and dog-eared scores. Wheelchair seats were at the very front. Excellent!
Tickets totalled £10...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1154 on: 05 December, 2019, 11:52:47 pm »
John Cooper Clarke.

Significantly less substances than last time I saw him.

Edited for typo
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1155 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:51:21 am »
John Cooper Clark.

Significantly less substances than last time I saw him.

I think I know someone who could put you in touch with someone who knows someone who could help you with that.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1156 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:54:35 am »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1157 on: 07 December, 2019, 11:26:29 pm »
The Messiah, tonight. I was "guesting" in it.

The choir was the Southend Festival Chorus, one of 3 "classical" choirs in Southend and they seem to be a bit short of members. They opened it to other singers or a "from scratch" performance.

The most frustrating part about being a choir member is that you spend a few months learning a work, sing it once and then put it away. The good thing about the Messiah is it's such a staple work, and much of it isn't overly difficult, that and experience singer can come in with one rehearsal and do it pretty well.

I'm a member of the Southend Bach Choir, and we practise each Tuesday. The Southend Festival Chorus practises on a Wednesday. Next term they are singing Haydn's Nelson mass, which I don't know, and the Mozart Great C minor mass, which is a wonderful work that my choir sang last year, so I know it well. I think I will join the as well for next term just to see how I get on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1158 on: 08 December, 2019, 10:15:59 pm »
Underworld at Wembley Arena. Main set was two hours of non-stop awesome (terrific setlist, and the 'encore' involved Karl & Rick taking a bow after Born Slippy then going straight on to the last two tracks), preceded by a 75 minute DJ set from Mr Smith, the workaholic.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1159 on: 08 December, 2019, 11:01:23 pm »
Hattie Briggs.

Lovely voice and lovely songs.

« Reply #1160 on: 08 December, 2019, 11:21:39 pm »
Thursday & Friday last week, The Darkness!

This tour, they are playing the new album (Easter is Cancelled) in full, then a short intermission before a second set of their previous popular stuff.

The new album set is actually better than the old stuff!
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1161 on: 08 December, 2019, 11:54:29 pm »

I'm a member of the Southend Bach Choir, and we practise each Tuesday. The Southend Festival Chorus practises on a Wednesday. Next term they are singing Haydn's Nelson mass, which I don't know, and the Mozart Great C minor mass, which is a wonderful work that my choir sang last year, so I know it well. I think I will join the as well for next term just to see how I get on.

Nelson Mass is fun and not too challenging. I think I sang it twice with Uxbridge Choral. I imagine you'll pick it up PDQ.

« Reply #1162 on: 22 December, 2019, 10:35:15 am »
Pop Will Eat Itself in Brighton last night. A year after I last saw them.
This was a small venue, which was fun - up close and sweaty anyway. They didn’t seem to have a proper backstage, which added to the intimacy. It also meant that I got to thank two of them in person, as they had to come through the crowd and out the front door for a smoke.
Less great was that the PA seemed designed for a bigger venue. Even with earplugs it was really loud, and I’ve still got some after effects of that now.
Lots of dancing, enough politics to know we were among friends, handshakes after from random others, and ended with “Their Law” in memory of Keith Flint.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1163 on: 22 December, 2019, 02:50:09 pm »
Are the Poppies touring again? With Fuzz? I guess the first question is rhetorical...

I remember seeing them, many years ago, at Bradford Students Union and I was blown away by their energy. Tell me that they did the "this is the point in the night when you all want us to slow it down" bit...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1164 on: 22 December, 2019, 09:33:11 pm »
I think that was the last date on a short tour. Different line up these days (Mary Byker being the most familiar name to me) but still loads of energy.
There was one slower song and a break where the guitarist gave us some noise and the others nipped off for a drink.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1165 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:42:26 pm »
Sitting in Newcastle Premier Inn after watching Fontaines DC 🙂

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1166 on: 12 January, 2020, 12:53:31 pm »
The debut live performance by The Holidaymakers at the Royal Albert in Crystal Palace.  Covers band featuring the future Mr von Brandenburg on drums.  There was dancing1 which, if one is familiar with the Albert's usual clientele, is nothing short of miraculous.

1. Though not from this Unit
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1167 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:35:00 pm »
As mentioned in another thread, my little sister got tickets for I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue at the Wimbledon Theatre. I'm just on my way back now. It was a touring show, rather than recorded for broadcast as far as I understand, but just as brilliant. Tim Brooke Taylor and Richard Osman vs Tony Hawks and Miles Jupp. Samantha couldn't be there as she was getting her attic insulated. Insert smutty remark about getting felt in the loft here.

We were issued with kazoos, which got put to use and brought the size of my kazoo collection to two.

Wonderfully, Mornington Crescent made reference to Finsbury Park backwards being krapy rubsnif.

I did not spot any hatlers.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1168 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:39:04 pm »
Wow I didn't realise they did such a thing. I need to make time to go to a show at some point. How long did it go on for?
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1169 on: 12 January, 2020, 10:44:05 pm »
Um, doors were 1900, advertised start time was 1930 and it wasn't far out. First half was a bit under the hour i think, then a 20 minute interval. Must have got out about 2200.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1170 on: 14 January, 2020, 09:18:31 pm »
Buck & Evans at the Face Bar Reading. Gig postponed from December because the band had a lurgy.  They still had a lurgy but played  a mighty fine set.  It's a brave thing to say a young guitarist has a distinctive sound but Chris Buck has something about him.  Sally Evans' vocals and keyboard are a perfect fit for that sound.  Add more backing vocals from the drummer and they have a sound that is quite special.  Deserve to be playing far better places to much bigger crowds.  Highly recommended.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1171 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
I went to Lewes Psychedelic Festival this weekend. So several bands, from solo laptop musicians to something more full on. TVAM headlined. I also bumped into an old friend i haven't seen in about 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1172 on: 30 January, 2020, 08:47:49 pm »
Interval of the simon and garfunkel story in Reading. Scared just how many lyrics I know by heart.

« Reply #1173 on: 30 January, 2020, 08:50:58 pm »
As mentioned in another thread, my little sister got tickets for I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue at the Wimbledon Theatre. I'm just on my way back now. It was a touring show, rather than recorded for broadcast as far as I understand, but just as brilliant. Tim Brooke Taylor and Richard Osman vs Tony Hawks and Miles Jupp. Samantha couldn't be there as she was getting her attic insulated. Insert smutty remark about getting felt in the loft here.

We were issued with kazoos, which got put to use and brought the size of my kazoo collection to two.

Wonderfully, Mornington Crescent made reference to Finsbury Park backwards being krapy rubsnif.

I was so late getting tickets that mrs and little miss hatler were towards the back of the circle. Bizarrely mrs h bumped into the grown up children of friends from Haywards Heath and another set of friends from just down the road. Bumping into a T Hall as well might have proved overwhelming.  :-)
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1174 on: 30 January, 2020, 09:36:22 pm »

I was so late getting tickets that mrs and little miss hatler were towards the back of the circle. Bizarrely mrs h bumped into the grown up children of friends from Haywards Heath and another set of friends from just down the road. Bumping into a T Hall as well might have proved overwhelming.  :-)
hah! We were way up in the circle too. Row M. It's a long steep way up. I had to lean forwards so I could look through the long distance part of my varifocals.