Author Topic: The time between the Brevet Cymru and Bryan Chapman  (Read 4084 times)

The time between the Brevet Cymru and Bryan Chapman
« on: 31 March, 2014, 11:08:47 am »
That two week period - what will you be doing training wise?  Reducing volume/intensity/load?  Doing nothing?  Going out on a few social rides with friends?  Following a proper plan?  Riding some other insane event because you are a machine?
Does not play well with others

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: The time between the Brevet Cymru and Bryan Chapman
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:13:31 am »
Keep on riding as usual.

Mainly for domestic reasons, I have never done back to back weekends of long rides - but much of last summer was a 600 every 2 weekends. 

I keep on commuting, evening pootles and weekend rides as usual.  I'd not plan a hill-repeat session in the couple of days before a hard weekend, but really just keep on riding. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:24:23 am »
Depends how hard the first one knocks you around.

When HK and I did a fairly tough 1200 and had only one clear week before starting the next 1200, we basically just ate and slept in our free time. Cycling was just pootling down to the shops.

Given it's your first 400 and 600, I'd aim at reducing distance and intensity between the two until your legs feel fresh again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:53:20 am »
Depends how hard the first one knocks you around.

When HK and I did a fairly tough 1200 and had only one clear week before starting the next 1200, we basically just ate and slept in our free time. Cycling was just pootling down to the shops.

Given its your first 400 and 600, I'd aim at reducing distance and intensity between the two until your legs feel fresh again.

+1

Excellent advice.  The BC can quite taxing if the weather is crap

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2014, 11:53:30 am »
A low intensity 200 on the Saturday maybe?

But....the key thing is to take care of yourself ON the first ride. Don't run too much of a calorie deficit and absolutely do not get dehydrated

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
As others have said, eat and rest. I presume you have some sort of day job.
You *really* don't *have* to ride at all.

Road testing the bike for loose fixings and worn consumables will keep your joints supple and has other obvious advantages.

Some gentle utility cycling likewise.

That is all.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2014, 12:26:24 pm »
Last year we rode 200+ pretty much every weekend, as soon as the snow cleared, because we were on a mission, but we only picked rides that were well within our capabilities so that we didn't have to work very hard and recovered quickly and easily, because the whole point of the season was to keep riding.

This year the goal is different. We will probably do either a 200 on solos between them just to keep the legs moving, and take it proper easy (12 hours, pub stops etc) or travel to (say) the Peaks and do something shorter and hillier. We need the practise, there's no hills round here and we have to go looking for them.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep, for recovery and to minimise sleep debt going into the 600.

« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »
I've always done nothing between when I've ridden both.

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »
I'm probably going to be doing nothing in between not riding both

« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:14:10 pm »
I'm probably going to be doing nothing in between not riding both

Not even part of each?

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:17:02 pm »
This year did several 50km rides between both and a 120km DIY -AAA (2 100m) around Clywedog / nant Y Moch / Elan.
2 weeks after BCM did Cambrian 2 H then week later Snow Roads 300km...

in 2015 seem to have entered Elenydd / BC / BCM / KSW so not sure what will happen between them !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2014, 04:18:32 am »
This year did several 50km rides between both and a 120km DIY -AAA (2 100m) around Clywedog / nant Y Moch / Elan.

in 2015 seem to have entered Elenydd / BC / BCM / KSW so not sure what will happen between them !!

You'll feel tired.

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2014, 06:30:24 am »

You'll feel tired.

I expect you`ll be right  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #13 on: 09 December, 2014, 07:24:15 am »
Well I might join you on the Elenydd, are you doing the 6 or 7 am start ?

I need to get some hills in, as I've stupidly gone and booked The Pendle  ::-) Plus I've got a big stack of Cambrians and the Sea Lovers perm to do.

It's going to be a hilly 2015..........

« Reply #14 on: 09 December, 2014, 08:40:16 am »
entered the 7am start but email from John H indicates that can start @ 6 if spaces permit; not sure why I`ve chosen 7 as staying o`night and was well ready for 6 start last year  ???

It`s a very good route and will of course feature sections of Cambrian perms too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:52:38 am »

LOL me too!  Well, the Beast of the East instead of the BCM

Plus Blacksheeps 600

I have realised the only workable way through it is to go full value and not push it with speed.  I'll only be on the MTB in between.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:15:25 am »
Yeah right!

Your "full value" is to finish 4hrs before cut off.

« Reply #17 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:40:58 am »
Yeah right!

sounds about right strategy ...maybe !

Really did feel after effects from Elenydd this year when finished 5 hr before cut off--and that included 30min @ Haughmond before checking in; A lot steadier next time for me, no trying to race back with Vistaed ::-)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:50:30 am »
You distract her James and I'll fill her frame with lead shot, but don't let on, OK.

« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »
You distract her James and I'll fill her frame with lead shot, but don't let on, OK.

meanies  :(
Yeah right!

sounds about right strategy ...maybe !

Really did feel after effects from Elenydd this year when finished 5 hr before cut off--and that included 30min @ Haughmond before checking in; A lot steadier next time for me, no trying to race back with Vistaed ::-)

AudaxRule #32  - never try to race back with Vistaed.  That man is a machine!   ;D

The full value thing is interesting.  There is a definite difference between going 'full value' because of wanting/having to pace yourself steadily as the ride is so hard or you need to be quickly recovered than going 'full value' because of racing between controls and then sitting around for ages before racing to the next.  I am not a big fan of the latter, nor am I very good at it - it seems to be a luxury that only the fittest race whippets can afford and I'd rather just keep plodding get back and get some decent sleep in a comfy bed.  Full value on a 200 is one thing - full value on a 300 or bigger means even more sleep deprivation unless you are quick enough to get in a proper nights sleep and confident enough you'll have the legs to blast the second day as well.

« Reply #20 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:26:41 pm »
I should probably comment on what I actually did between the BC and BCM last year

Steady social unstructured MTB rides X 3
1 steady Sunday social ride
1 x Z1 leg stretch

So no intense work at all. 

It was fine, it worked well.  I had legs for the BCM and made it round in one piece. 

« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:39:10 pm »
I should probably comment on what I actually did between the BC and BCM last year

1 x Z1 leg stretch

It was fine, it worked well.  I had legs for the BCM and made it round in one piece.

I`m interested that you are still MTBing.....having got into Audax and km accumulating , metric centuries, AA-RTY and all that palaver I`ve not touched my MTB even though I do live in really good MTB territory.
 I guess I feel knda `cheated` if I do a 3hr MTB ride and get just 40km logged when roadwise I`d hope for more like 70km ! So currently my Cotic BFe hangs unused in the garage  ::-) Maybe if I did get back out on it, eg around Elan Valley, it could act as a rejuvenator as now feeling slightly `jaded` by for me too many km on same set of roads---nice though they are

« Reply #22 on: 09 December, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »

1 x Z1 leg stretch

I`m interested that you are still MTBing.....having got into Audax and km accumulating , metric centuries, AA-RTY and all that palaver I`ve not touched my MTB even though I do live in really good MTB territory.
 I guess I feel knda `cheated` if I do a 3hr MTB ride and get just 40km logged when roadwise I`d hope for more like 70km ! So currently my Cotic BFe hangs unused in the garage  ::-) Maybe if I did get back out on it, eg around Elan Valley, it could act as a rejuvenator as now feeling slightly `jaded` by for me too many km on same set of roads---nice though they are

Let me know if you want an off-road ride round Elan, Roman Road back to Rhayader is one of my fav descents.  I don't really mind the lack of distance on a MTB, I don't really care about speed or distance on a MTB ride as long as I am competent technically and don't get too injured!

I am primarily a mountain biker and always will be first and foremost, although my MTBking friends give me endless grief for being a roadie.   ;D

The Bfe is a nice frame.   :thumbsup: