Author Topic: Good hills for hill repeats in Oxfordshire?  (Read 5750 times)

Good hills for hill repeats in Oxfordshire?
« on: 13 June, 2014, 12:52:01 pm »
I'm going to have to get better at climbing....

Anybody recommend a good climb for hill repeat training?  Something reasonably consistent but not really steep like streetly hill...

I live in Abingdon but will happily travel for the right climb :)

Any recommendations?  Thanks!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Good hills for hill repeats in Oxfordshire?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »
How about the lower section of Blowingstone Hill? Nice warmup from Abingdon and you're ready :)

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »
As Paul wrote - Blowingstone is good.  You could also do a few loops of Dragon Hill / Whitehorse Hill (near Uffington).  If you look at the map in that area there are 7 chevrons (I think).  You could devise a route that goes up all of them.

Depends on what type of hill you're looking for - short and sharp, long and draggy or long and steep!
Dragon Hill is long (ish - especially if you cycle up from Uffington, it's about 2km of climbing) and steep (20%) in places.  Plus you have to sprint for the cattle grid to make sure you're going fast enough to not have an accident.

Also, around Boar's Hill there is Bayworth Lane, from Bayworth / Sunningwell up to Foxcombe lane (short and steep), and Sandy Lane from Foxcombe Lane up to Yarn's mound (longer, less steep) plus Tumbledown Hill from Farmoor reservoir up to Cumnor (middling in both).  I do all of these regularly in a loop and you can pack 500m climbing into 30km.

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2014, 03:21:28 pm »

Anybody recommend a good climb for hill repeat training?  Something reasonably consistent but not really steep like streetly hill...

My first Recommendation is to come and ride with 'Abingdon Freewheeling'!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freewheeling/110475642298652

Actually, you don't have to travel as far as the downs (Blowingstone/Dragon/Chain Hill or Lambourn), or the Cotswolds to find hills for repeats, they may not be Ventoux in length but there are some closer to home for quicker sessions.

Nearest and dearest is Bayworth hill, short and sharp but much easier now resurfaced (aka Col du Bayworth).
There are 2 routes up to the Scout camp from Wooton: Old Boars Hill and Sandy Lane
On the Oxford side coming from Botley there is Hurst Rise Rd and Yarnalls Rd/Yarnells Hill.

These can readily be joined-up to make a repeats circuit if so wished.

Further afield the other side of Wallingford there are some good steep climby bits between the Reading Road and the Henley road.  In fact the descent from Crookley Green is a fave but I've never ridden-up!
There's Britwell hill and the roads to Christmas Common.
Streatley hill is another worth riding too.

Another fave is Chinnor hill up on to Bledlow Ridge which is a good long grunt.

Many of these spots are part of our regular rides ... come and meet us!

For further afield hilliness I can thoroughly recommend the local 210km Audax the Barbury Bash ... hills galore, no need for repeats!

Hope that helps!

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2014, 09:58:56 am »
Thanks all, that is very helpful!  The free wheelers rides clash with kids clubs commitments (gym and swim lessons), but if those change I'll certainly join in!

I have the Barbury bash in my auk calendar though waiting to see how I recover from an operation before entering... (I want a 200 in July to keep my RRTY going)

Sounds like some good options close to home which would be nice to work into a 30k short loop.  The hills out by the downs should make for a longer loop with blowing stone and dragon on the same rides. I'd totally forgotten about the Henley, or Christmas common  hills, will have to plot some routes and explore!

Thanks again, hope to see you on a ride soon!

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2014, 11:07:37 am »
A route I do from time to time around Boars Hill:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5025481

Like FF, this has Bayworth, Old Boars Hill, also Sugworth Lane.  Repeat whole or part, ad hoc/infinitum/'reversum'...   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2014, 11:42:05 pm »
Thanks Andy, I'll take a look :)

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

Further afield the other side of Wallingford there are some good steep climby bits between the Reading Road and the Henley road.  In fact the descent from Crookley Green is a fave but I've never ridden-up!
There's Britwell hill and the roads to Christmas Common.
Streatley hill is another worth riding too.

Another fave is Chinnor hill up on to Bledlow Ridge which is a good long grunt....
Sliding Hill (up to Cookley Green) is a good one. It's not a killer (it eases off for a while in the middle, which is nice), but it's a fair climb - & it's good going down, unlike some.

Streatley has already been ruled out.

The climb up to Nuffield is a decent hill both ways. It's another one with a flatter middle section, & fun going down.

Britwell is all in one go, & steep. Harder than Nuffield or Cookley Green, & very fast (or brake-wearing) down: I've topped 50mph more than once. Not really relaxing. Great view from the top, though.

Chinnor Hill gives the option of going down Bledlow Ridge towards West Wycombe on the other side. That's a good, fun, downhill, & a good one to ride back up again if you want to train without breaking your knees in your lowest gear. So you can go up Chinnor Hill, down Bledlow Ridge, up Bledlow Ridge, down Chinnor Hill - rinse & repeat until knackered or bored.

Or you can plot a route up & down multiple hills, for variety.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2014, 08:47:22 pm »
I've tried a few now - even managed 3 times up streatly on two occasions (just for the LOLs). 

Next plan is to head out Henley way & try a few of the other suggestions, no danger of Everesting any of them yet, but hopefully a hilly repeat ride once a week will help me get stronger :)