Author Topic: Tell me about…wetsuits  (Read 2766 times)

essexian

Tell me about…wetsuits
« on: 09 December, 2015, 10:18:52 am »
Morning all

Please don’t laugh at the back but in August 2016, I am planning to do a triathlon. Yes, yes, I know I will need to learn to run first as the last run I did was in 1976 when I finished 5th in the Waltham Forest Schools 200m but I can swim reasonably well if rather slowly and ride a bike to a reasonable standard….so it can’t be that hard can it……  ;D :o

So with my mind set on doing a sprint length triathlon which includes an open water swim of 750m, I need to buy a wetsuit. To this end, my question is has anyone got any recommendations? I would prefer one with short length legs and preferably no arms. Are such suitable for open water swimming?

Also, I see our friends at Decathlon have a couple of suits for less than £25. Would these be worth getting as I only intend to use the suit to get some practice in the lake near Whitchurch Shropshire before the race and in the race itself. If decide to do more tri’s after that, then I would buy something better.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/shorty-500-wetsuit-mens--id_8301256.html

Any tips etc gratefully received. Oh and to be honest, if I finished last, then I finish last. It’s only me I am challenging and not anyone else.  :thumbsup:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Tell me about…wetsuits
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:28:16 am »
I wouldn't want a wetsuit without arms and legs, but then I'm a wimp when it comes to being cold and wouldn't do an open water swim anyway.

I remember when I (briefly) looked at doing a tri, there were places which would hire you a wetsuit for the season and then if you wanted to keep it, you could just pay the difference between the rental and the purchase price. Might be worth checking out.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:48:42 am »
Decathalon usually offer good value for money and their kit always seems pretty good quality. We bought a wetsuit for my son to use for sailing and it's been fine

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:52:37 am »
Is that the Ellesmere Sprint Tri'?

I had a Typhoon 3/2 mm overlapped and bonded.

I waterski'd and snorkelled as well.

A shortie over a 1mm undershirt might be better for triathlon. You can whip the shirt off in the change. Or just go without the undershirt. Its only cold for a few minutes.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:59:41 am »
I think it is worth getting a wetsuit specifically designed for swimming/triathlon, as its more flexible and buoyancy in the right places etc. Depends on just what sort of temperatures you are expecting, but for typical UK weather probably best to get a full length wetsuit.

I suggest Lomo, they make some decent quality stuff, reasonably priced. Most of it is designed for kayaking etc, but they do have a couple of triathlon wetsuits. http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/wetsuits-1.html
Or the Alpkit wetsuit looks good. https://www.alpkit.com/products/lotic-wetsuit-mens

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
A proper triathlon wetsuit makes swimming easier as it gives you buoyancy and reduces your resistance moving through the water.  It is much easier to swim in one than just wearing trunks at the pool.

Get one with arms and legs, they are warmer and you'll go faster. 

The other vital design aspect is an easy to open zip and leg and forearm sections that make it easy and quick to doff.

Don't wear a diving, sailing or even surfing suit - they are not designed for full on swimming, will slow you down, could chaff and will be slow to get out of.

My current suit is a Zone 3 Aspire which is way better than my current triathlon participation and ability justifies, but I got it on offer and I enjoy wild swimming in the Wye and a couple of local quarries so it was worth it for me.  They are on offer currently at wiggle.

I'd check out clearance deals and eBay at this time of year.

Alternately hire one from Tri UK for 50 quid for the season.

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:21:40 am »
For me I'd probably choose a full length 3mm. The water's about as warm as it's going to get in August. My choice would be based more on scuba-diving experience than surface sports. I'd rent something (if possible) or borrow for a weekend around July and try it out before making a final choice if still wanted to buy one.

I'd also make sure I had a hood, having had a long surface swim back to base and ended up with sunburn on my head that inspired work colleagues to start calling me Gorbachev.  ;D
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:35:56 am »
The most important thing is that it fits. Too tight and you won't be able to breath easily. Too loose and the water you have warmed with body heat will flush out.
If you are loosing weight don't buy one now for next summer.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2015, 11:46:31 am »
I would also have a look at Aque Sphere Seal swim masks.  They make life much more comfortable in open water.  They massively increase your situational awareness and it's easier to stay on course, as well as making the aquatic unarmed combat that is the reality of a mass start open water swim easier to deal with.

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »
You aren't far from Curborough, Lichfield I think. I would recommend going to see The Pedal Station - they have loads of wetsuits and know a lot about triathlons - and they are very helpful

PS - I have no connection with the business except as a customer