Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24hr 2010  (Read 10631 times)

Mersey Roads 24hr 2010
« on: 02 July, 2010, 10:42:53 am »
Just thought I'd start the topic.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Mersey Roads 24hr 2010
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:14:49 pm »
Was it you who told me last year that a 24 was a bit less than a 25?   ???
In spite of that, I've entered, again.  :facepalm:

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:41:21 pm »
You're not the only one to fall for that: Exeter Wheelers are fielding a team of four this year.

Bairn Again

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:49:03 pm »
Ive entered too.

I think I'm one of 5 Edinburgh RC riders and that theres probably going to be quite a good turnout  from north of the border more generally - a dozen at least methinks.  

I hear that Mr Peacock is planning to capture the suffering "fun" on film.  

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:57:37 pm »
Ive entered too.

I think I'm one of 5 Edinburgh RC riders and that theres probably going to be quite a good turnout  from north of the border more generally - a dozen at least methinks. 

I hear that Mr Peacock is planning to capture the suffering "fun" on film. 

Graeme

I haven't decided on that yet. I'm drawn towards filming the Mille Cymru, but that's a fairly expensive thing to do, it would depend on whether people wanted to pay for a DVD. Heather's going to be there and will shoot some stuff, but she's likely to be busy marshalling. Me doing both would clock up some serious miles.
Ian, any word on the form of the Exeter team, 100 mile and 12 hours?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5 on: 02 July, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »
I think I'm one of 5 Edinburgh RC riders and that theres probably going to be quite a good turnout  from north of the border more generally - a dozen at least methinks.  
Including possibly three or four of us from Angus Bike Chain, the Most Glamorous Cycling Club in Angus.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »
I sent an entry off (a few days late :-[) so am hoping to ride.

Are you part of the Exeter Wheelers team Ian?

I'll be happy to break 400 miles this year and aiming for 410 (I'll try and schedule for 420 at the beginning) and I am planning on stopping briefly every 4 hours instead of my usual 6. Not as fit, strong or tough as I usualy am this year. Then again, I might go better than I expect. Only one way to find out.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
Steve, talking of schedules:

Now that you know the route and the "programme" of how/when you switch loops, do you take that all into account in your schedule? (cos I think the main loop is a little faster than the QB bit). Or do you just keep track of your average speed so far ... etc?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 03 July, 2010, 04:02:17 pm »
I just keep an eye on my average speed but I don't worry about it. I don't want to flog myself trying to keep it up. I keep an eye on my current speed over a few hills to see how I'm going. Using the average speed to pace yourself means that by the time you know you're slowing down, it's probably too late to do anything about it.
The main thing is to pace myself though. If I'm unfit and slow, it's too late to do anything about it on the day. I just try to pace myself and keep an eye on my speed. If I slow down a lot, I'll stop for a feed and drink and see if my speed picks up again, unless I'm near the end and know that it's just tiredness, then I'll just try a bit harder if I can.
Once you've done about 12 hours, you have to slow down quite a bit for some time before it shows on your average, That's when I tend to relax a bit, especially if I'm going well. Just get through the night and lose as little as possible. Then when it gets light, I try and build up my average again, rememberring that the best way to do that is to keep riding a little bit faster all the time instead of blasting down the road for an hour then collapsing in a heap and losing all that you gain. As the average speed increases, i work out what I can achieve and set targets in my head which help me stay focussed instead of just rolling out the last few hours. On the other hand, I still try to look after myself so that I can keep going and stop to get food and drink if I think it will help. A few hours of hard effort when hungry or thirsty can take hours to recover from by riding slowly. Better to stop a few minutes and keep going fast all the time and feeling good (or at least not awful)
I know that 420 miles is about 18mph and that on a good day I can do 21mph for the first 100 miles. So as long as my average is between 19 and 21, I know I'm in with a chance of getting 410 miles. If my speed is 18, I'l not let it bother me early on and see if it improves. Either it will and I'll be in with a chance of 410, or it won't and I wouldn't have done it anyway.
I think I'll be trying to average 19mph for the first 100 (no doubt I'll try for 20 at first then realise that I'd better ease off if I'm going to keep it up, I'll have to wait and see) this year, but will have a better idea after riding the Seething 600 with my 24 hour TT set up.
I don't account for whichever circuit I'm riding. I prefer the Quina Brook, but it probably is slower.

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:07:06 pm »

Ian, any word on the form of the Exeter team, 100 mile and 12 hours?

Two audax tourists, an ex-Karrimor pro, and me. Who might guess what we'll do.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »
I've entered as another of the Scottish audaxers having a weekend down South. When does the start list get published? I'm reluctant to shell out on a hotel until I know I've got a ride.

I'll be the sole rider from West Lothian Clarion - any other Clarionista joining the fun?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:47:32 pm »
I've entered as another of the Scottish audaxers having a weekend down South. When does the start list get published? I'm reluctant to shell out on a hotel until I know I've got a ride.

I'll be the sole rider from West Lothian Clarion - any other Clarionista joining the fun?

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47787

« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
I got a Travelodge room for £19 for the Sunday night and will book another room for the night before.

PM me if you want to share a room before and/or after the event to cut down costs.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47787

I'm John Warnock's minute man. :o
I'll see if I can hold him off before the first roundabout. I couldn't manage that when I was Gethin Butler's minute man in 2001. ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »
    I've persuaded/conned family to be my support crew, not sure how this will work out, as I did it unsupported two years ago. They have no experience of this and I've always treated my saddlebag as my 'support vehicle' on the big audaxing adventures, so a big 'known unknown'!
    Also, I'm looking forward to being told off again by Jim Hopper, for enjoying the scenery. Ever the tourist.

« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:31:56 pm »
Ages range from 16 to 72. Very brave or foolish of a teenager to attempt such an event. Question: Would you sign a parental consent for a 16 yr old to ride a 24?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »
Was it you who told me last year that a 24 was a bit less than a 25?   ???
In spite of that, I've entered, again.  :facepalm:

Will you be bringing any bridies with you?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2010, 11:08:24 pm »
Ages range from 16 to 72. Very brave or foolish of a teenager to attempt such an event. Question: Would you sign a parental consent for a 16 yr old to ride a 24?
Tricky ...

teenagers have sailed round the world solo. But I guess not all could.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Joe Applegarth

« Reply #17 on: 16 July, 2010, 01:38:06 am »

Compare the names, clubs and ages of riders No. 22 and 28, and it would seem likely that his father is riding too.  Is it all that much different from a 16 y.o. riding a 400 or 600 km audax?   Perhaps Steve could reveal at what age he first tackled such audaxes?

One of the 70 y.o. entrants (me) will not be riding, thanks to a three-piece collar bone which was acquired on the Hot Trodd 400, and was plated and screwed back together just less than 3 weeks ago.  Here's to 2011.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #18 on: 16 July, 2010, 01:45:11 am »
..I don't want to flog myself trying to keep it up... unless I'm near the end and know that it's just tiredness, then I'll just try a bit harder if I can....

This is the last thread I expected to head towards NSFW.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

Compare the names, clubs and ages of riders No. 22 and 28, and it would seem likely that his father is riding too.  Is it all that much different from a 16 y.o. riding a 400 or 600 km audax?   Perhaps Steve could reveal at what age he first tackled such audaxes?

I guess the problem is that his father won't be riding with him (unless I'v misunderstood the rules!). But apart from that, yes, it should be safer than riding a 4/600, because he'll be on a known bit of tarmac almost all the time, not far from assistance.

p.s. bad luck Joe - maybe we can be ill together again in 2011!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #20 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:16:13 pm »
I believe that you can claim audax points for this ride. Is this correct? If so, how do I go about it please?

« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
I believe that you can claim audax points for this ride. Is this correct? If so, how do I go about it please?

Now...there was a thread about this somewhere. You could try searching in the cupboard marked Audax and sportives (or something like).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 19 July, 2010, 06:03:02 pm »
It was discussed in a very very long discussion (the best kind of course) recently, but more usefully there is an entry in the AUDAX FAQ topic!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #23 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:44:36 pm »
Thanks guys - I found it.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:07:05 am »
I had a nightmare last night that I'd entered this.

Thank god I woke up.