Author Topic: Audax Dreams for the New Season  (Read 51731 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Reply #275 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:35:45 pm »
I might do an Audax. No promises thobut.
Goan
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #276 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:10:32 pm »
I will do some rides.

Starting with the Poor Student on 1 January, weather and Covid permitting.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #277 on: 05 December, 2021, 12:18:32 am »
This "year" aiming for UR,
And a 600 taking over +24hrs (properly wrecked myself this year) to get back in the habit for LEL etc
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #278 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:37:12 pm »
As per last year, a 200, if I can get my arse in gear. I think my back could manage it these days but the Mildenhall events did not happen this year. 

Will be summer rather than winter though, as I don't fancy 100km in the dark
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #279 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:34:36 pm »
LEL, both looking forward to it and dreading it, as I'm definitively not in the shape I was in in 2017...

Rando Imperator; 650km from Munich to Ferrara on May 7/8 (just confirmed the date with Simone). This time  I will finish all by my self. The previous two rides in 2017 and 2019 I only finished thanks to riding with other people when my GPS died, the phone ran out of juice and printed routesheets are useless in the rain unless plasticised...

Then there's a number of interesting local (Dutch) brevets, especially the ones from Bergen op Zoom look appealing. I'm just hoping the organiser picks a sensible starting place this time as Bergen op Zoom is already a PITA to get to by train early Saturday morning, much less when the start is another hour or so away.

Of course covid may pop these dreams like a soap bubble, in which case I'm also happy to just do my DIY200s to increase my Veloviewer cluster  ;)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #280 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:40:39 pm »
Well, I've continued my Audax membership for another year.

My Audax Dreams for the New Season?  Well, I'd say I'd be chuffed to bits if I'm actually able to go for a simple bike ride, even if it's not an Audax event,or anywhere near an Audax distance!

Fingers crossed I'm not still waiting on a medical diagnosis by the time the  New Season 2022-2023 starts....   

« Reply #281 on: 09 December, 2021, 10:47:25 pm »
Well last season went well, I completed my 2nd RRtY & my 1st SR along with All Points North, my first 1000km (obvs, not an Audax but similar).

So next season I guess I should aim for another RRtY and another SR + LEL, I also have a place on Pan Celtic Race & Hell of the NW - missed out on APN this time unfortunately. Maybe I'll aim for a Randonneur 5000.

Is there a special name for when you do 4x600km for your SR?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #282 on: 09 December, 2021, 10:48:24 pm »
Hyper Randonneur but that is just for fun.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #283 on: 09 December, 2021, 10:57:30 pm »
Maybe I'll try that as well then.

« Reply #284 on: 10 December, 2021, 09:02:38 am »
Hyper Randonneur but that is just for fun.

And even more niche now that it's no longer listed in results as far as I can see ...

... unless I'm just not looking in thre right place ?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #285 on: 10 December, 2021, 09:25:52 am »
It's on the "to do" list, should appear on the new results page options soon.

« Reply #286 on: 10 December, 2021, 10:21:40 am »
It's on the "to do" list, should appear on the new results page options soon.

:thumbsup:

good to know - thanks !

« Reply #287 on: 10 December, 2021, 12:14:01 pm »
I'm hoping to do a RRtY, which will also include LWL and potentially The KWAC London-Anglesea-London 1000k. I've entered the Willy Warmer as my first event in January.

« Reply #288 on: 11 December, 2021, 12:52:06 pm »
Back into it in the new year. Hoping to build up to an Arrow and finish an SR again this year with an eye on PBP '23.

Been a pretty quiet year on the bike but after Bypass surgery in March I've worked hard to get a bit more all round fitness and strength so hopefully that will convert onto the bike.

« Reply #289 on: 12 December, 2021, 08:32:09 pm »
Last season started well with three 200km DIYs in November 2020, but being hit by a car a year ago today ended my three-at-a-time RRTY run. I’m undecided whether to bother with RRTY again as a result.
This season I’m hoping to get back into riding 200km and above, including Deano’s Highland Fling 1000 at the end of April, deferred from 2020, and the LEL. I will need a steep increase in fitness to ride a 1000 in 4.5 months and I’ve been less confident riding on the road since the accident so plan to ride off road more in future. I’ve also just bought a new direct drive smart trainer, cadence meter and heart rate meter that I plan to use for some proper structured training for my first time ever.

« Reply #290 on: 01 January, 2022, 11:22:57 am »
I’d like to do a pure off-road DIY200 just for the LOLs  :facepalm:   If that goes well, a 300 as well  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Road wise I need to get back in shape, the last year or so have been atrocious…. Will build back up to an SR, and would like to do a 1000km event again, the ‘round Luxembourg’ appeals, or perhaps back to Belgium for the boarders ride which was awesome.

Then again, perhaps a third LEL?  Either way, just getting the fitness back to be part of the AUK community & do some calendar events would be the main goal  :thumbsup:

« Reply #291 on: 01 January, 2022, 10:47:48 pm »
As a newbie to this, my plan for 2022 is to complete a couple of 200s and then see where things lead from there.  I pushed the button on my first 200 entry yesterday so no turning back now.

My dreams for 2022 may involve a 300 / 400 or two if things go really well but that is just a pipe dream at the moment.

« Reply #292 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:03:42 pm »
I'm hoping to:
  • have a laugh
  • ride in some nice places
  • increase my distance by 1 notch on the Audax post
  • get another badge

I'm also hoping to go on a tour I first planned 2 years ago and see a few friends en route.

Anything else is a bonus really.

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #293 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:04:00 am »
I'm a newcomer and did my first audaxes last year: 200, 300, 200.

Hoping to get 200/300/400 done by May and then try a 'biggie' of 600+ in the summer.

Happy 2022 planning to you all.

« Reply #294 on: 15 August, 2022, 01:50:38 pm »
As a newbie to this, my plan for 2022 is to complete a couple of 200s and then see where things lead from there.  I pushed the button on my first 200 entry yesterday so no turning back now.

My dreams for 2022 may involve a 300 / 400 or two if things go really well but that is just a pipe dream at the moment.

So, six months on and I have a number of 200s, and a 300km under my belt and after a few issues with submitting the GPS track initially, I have just found out my 400km DIY home to Essex from holiday in the SW has been validated.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #295 on: 15 August, 2022, 03:01:17 pm »
Wife and son are encouraging (ordering, to be more precise) me to enter PBP again, so I guess that's me back in the saddle after a few years of riding hardly any events. Personally, I'm not sure that I want to do it again but I may as well do the qualifying rides and see how I feel.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Notfromrugby

« Reply #296 on: 15 August, 2022, 03:46:24 pm »
I've lost my Mojo on Audax and haven't regained it yet... a combination of things... main one is that Undulates no longer organises and I was always looking forward to his events in Wales, which were scenic and fair. No interest in doing perms and DIY for the sake of collecting points for some pointless awards.
Only long brevet I would love to do again is the National 400, which no longer runs... so, basically I can't see anything in it for me anymore... I now seem to get the same kick by entering a short race, which is a lot more popular at home... being away for
 3to 4 hours is different from being away for the whole weekend...

So there, I thought about dropping my membership and also thought to give it another year, but nothing has happened, other than me entering an event and then DNS... I think I will not renew for 2023... not even looking forward to receiving the magazine anymore...  ::-)
I might come back to Audax one day, maybe...

« Reply #297 on: 15 August, 2022, 04:24:55 pm »

So, six months on and I have a number of 200s, and a 300km under my belt and after a few issues with submitting the GPS track initially, I have just found out my 400km DIY home to Essex from holiday in the SW has been validated.

Well done, it's good to build up the distances and hopefully discover that there's not too much difference between the shorter distances and the longer ones, except a bit more planning. Just one shy of an SR now ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #298 on: 15 August, 2022, 05:56:46 pm »

Well done, it's good to build up the distances and hopefully discover that there's not too much difference between the shorter distances and the longer ones, except a bit more planning. Just one shy of an SR now ...

I found the 400 much easier than I had expected although I wasn’t fast at almost exactly 24 hours for 408km.  A little too much faffing at one stop and route choice issues robbed me of a couple of hours compared to my target time.  The ride through the night on my own was surprisingly painless and as always I took away a few learning points from the ride.  The main one being however many Kilometres it appears to save you on the total distance, never, ever route right through central London. 😀. How many traffic lights can there be in one 50km stretch?

I am running out of available weekends for any 600km attempt so that may have to wait but I think an SR will definitely be on the list for next year as will an Easter Arrow if there is an ACME team looking for a new member.

« Reply #299 on: 15 August, 2022, 07:32:48 pm »
How many traffic lights can there be in one 50km stretch?

I've got it down to just 4 traffic lights on my commute from just outside the M25 into the City. But heading west from there and it is traffic light galore.

... an Easter Arrow if there is an ACME team looking for a new member.

The ACME teams tend to form around who is planning to ride, so you'll be most welcome I'm sure.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43