Author Topic: Items here now won't be there then  (Read 18532 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Items here now won't be there then
« Reply #250 on: 19 September, 2021, 12:05:26 am »
Back in Olden Times USAnians were oft-times suspicious of old-skool UK paper licences lacking a photo.  Dog knows what they’ll do if you wave a phone at them.  Shoot you, I expect.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #251 on: 19 September, 2021, 01:50:45 pm »
I still have my Cook Islands driving licence. Valid nowhere else on earth and has to be renewed annually. Mine expired in 1997 but it makes a good photo ID. Or maybe just a souvenir.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #252 on: 19 September, 2021, 01:52:01 pm »

Unlike what we see in films set in the USA, there’s no requirement in the UK to carry a licence while driving or show it to a police officer who stops you.

Governments of both colours have long wanted to have ways of tracking people with ID cards and the like. The increasing normalisation of various smartphone apps and flashing of qr codes brings this to reality.

Lucky non of you ever plan on driving outside of the UK then...

Or opening a bank account...

J

I assumed we need an IDP now anyway (£5.50 from PO) and you need a passport to travel abroad!

Have opened many bank accounts, never used or needed a driving license
IDP of course has another meaning which may be equally applicable.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #253 on: 20 September, 2021, 03:47:56 am »
Six years after the end of the paper counterpart to your driving licence, rumours are the plastic card could go too.
The DVLA has announced a trial that could see plastic driving licences phased out over the next few years in favour of a new digital system.

The first phase of the plans will see the launch of new mobile provisional licences for learner drivers, which will be accessible via a smartphone app.

It is understood that the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) could then look to expand the technology to cover full licences too.

I recently put an app on my phone that stores my Colorado driver's license, vehicle registrations and proof of insurance. There's a message in the app warning me that I should still carry physical copies of said documents outside of Colorado.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #254 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:58:10 am »
Back in Olden Times USAnians were oft-times suspicious of old-skool UK paper licences lacking a photo.  Dog knows what they’ll do if you wave a phone at them.  Shoot you, I expect.

Wouldn't surprise me:

https://youtu.be/XeG6jca8rrg
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight