Author Topic: Cafes on the LEL route  (Read 11183 times)

Re: Cafes on the LEL route
« Reply #25 on: 28 June, 2022, 03:31:36 pm »
The cyclists’ cafe in Horncastle will mend your bike while you eat pizza and cake. Cool staff too.
https://www.justonemorebike.co.uk/

« Reply #26 on: 28 June, 2022, 06:17:27 pm »
There is a cafe La Vita at the top end , near the war memorial, in Barkway. They are open 10-16 on Sundays.  Barkway is roughly 50km from the start.  They do a cracking crepe and milkshake , have cakes and other things.  Not a super quick service but very pleasant. It was a flower shop in 2017.

There’s a couple of cafes in Shepreth slightly off route but not by much. Plus when you cross the A10 to Shepreth there is a Dobbies garden centre with a decent cafe, if you jump on the wide cycleway (on other side  of A10 as you hit it) south for 1.3km. Fast service.

« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2022, 01:36:58 pm »
Malton

Loads of cafes. The best is probably "The Patisserie" just off the main square.
Thomas's is the North Yorkshire version of Greggs but better (there is one in Helmsley too)
Roost in Talbert Yard does the best coffee for miles around (they roast their own) and often has a selection of pastries.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:01:51 pm »
Roost's coffee is a staple at home. I think we use their coffee at our Malton control too.

« Reply #29 on: 28 July, 2022, 11:56:30 am »
A young lady (both assumed) has posted this (edited) elsewhere and plans to extend her opening hours well into Monday night:
"My business: The Nook Farm Shop & Cafe is on the route of the LEL2022. We are two miles north of Alston (CA9 3BG)" on the A689.
https://www.thenookfarmshop.com/
Has a great millenia old address: "Epiacum Roman Fort, Kirkhaugh, Alston".
This must be better than the Alston garage forecourt.

« Reply #30 on: 28 July, 2022, 12:27:33 pm »
Nook Farm Shop will be open Monday overnight.

Also, in St John's Chapel there will be a pop-up cafe open 24/7 in Middleton Hall for the entire event. I've just long-cutted the route to take you past it, but I won't tell if you choose to short cut before this.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2022, 12:59:47 pm »
I can't turn up a Middleton Hall in or near St John's Chapel. Any more details?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #32 on: 28 July, 2022, 02:31:25 pm »
The controls north and south of the diversion (Brampton and Barnard Castle) will be sharing details of the cafe's which are going to be open just for the riders. The details are not quite finalised but the info will almost certainly be included in Alwyn's final email, too.

The relevant information will be broadcast to everyone in due course - there's plenty of time for that.

There's a lot of discussion on FB but you have to wade through dozens of irrelevant comments to find the valuable bits - don't feel you're missing out if you're not there.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #33 on: 28 July, 2022, 03:15:36 pm »

Me neither

« Reply #34 on: 28 July, 2022, 03:20:28 pm »
Nook Farm. Leave Alston, bridge over river, then looks to be on the left. Perfect as I'm likely to pass through (north) long after garage has closed.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #35 on: 28 July, 2022, 04:03:40 pm »

Me neither

We understand that the Chatterbox Cafe will be operating from St John's Chapel Village Hall and that the Alston one is the Nook Farmshop and Cafe.
No responsibility taken.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #36 on: 28 July, 2022, 05:26:52 pm »
A poi is now on the RWGPS map for St Johns Chapel. Turn right at Chatterbox cafe and Barrington Hall should be on your left just after where road comes in from left after town hall. Maybe 100m or so.

Perfect for me as pretty sure I’ll be on this leg north on Monday, after last light fades other side of hill.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #37 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:56:28 pm »
I think we are going to be providing banners and signs for both these pop up extras. Remember these are not controls with free catering , they are extra help on this late route amendment.. so carry cash , notes or a card . And given they are  mucking in to help you on a difficult section  .. any support you can give them will be much appreciated by them and us . Night time staff at both places I believe.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #38 on: 28 July, 2022, 10:06:55 pm »
I think we are going to be providing banners and signs for both these pop up extras. Remember these are not controls with free catering , they are extra help on this late route amendment.. so carry cash , notes or a card . And given they are  mucking in to help you on a difficult section  .. any support you can give them will be much appreciated by them and us . Night time staff at both places I believe.

I've added them to my GPS, and plan to drop by!

« Reply #39 on: 28 July, 2022, 11:16:18 pm »

I've added them to my GPS, and plan to drop by!

Same here. Probably Nook Farm northbound and Chatterbox southbound

« Reply #40 on: 29 July, 2022, 09:48:29 am »
I think it’ll depend how long the queues are, and how well fuelled you feel.  I’m pretty sure I’ll reach St Johns Chapel in the dark northbound.  After the couple of hills since Barnard Castle to get there, a stop to eat something or even just top a water bottle will be welcome.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #41 on: 29 July, 2022, 12:09:22 pm »
My input .. I suspect that the one near Alston will not do well. Riders will have had two big climbs and now be going fast downhill into Alston , with their main thought I want to get to Brampton and have  a rest. Given they are staying open al night to help riders  .. if you can spare 10 minutes for a stop and buy something .. both they and us will appreciate that .

« Reply #42 on: 29 July, 2022, 12:13:14 pm »
The desire to stop in/near Alston will greatly depend on the weather in the Pennines. If it's the same as in 2017, a lot of riders will stop there tow arm up.

« Reply #43 on: 29 July, 2022, 03:08:16 pm »
My input .. I suspect that the one near Alston will not do well. Riders will have had two big climbs and now be going fast downhill into Alston , with their main thought I want to get to Brampton and have  a rest. Given they are staying open al night to help riders  .. if you can spare 10 minutes for a stop and buy something .. both they and us will appreciate that .

If you mean Nook Farm that is after Alston (going north) and after a short 4% climb. In 2013 I was looking forward to the garage in Alston, not realising it wasn’t 24hr. If on the later starts / hitting this section at night, the stop will be most welcome.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #44 on: 29 July, 2022, 10:12:21 pm »
As far as I know they are going to make the effort to be open Monday extended hours and then  night as well. As this fits with the rider flow. i don't think there are any plans to extend their hours for the southbound traffic .. as  by then the field is spread out .. and the two big climbs instead of Yad Moss are still to come.

« Reply #45 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:00:38 pm »
Anyone mentioned the Lockerbie lorry park?  Northbound route goes right past it on the B7076 about 10 miles south of Moffat.  Transport cafe-style food with large seating area.  A favourite of audaxers.

Opening hours on the website:  https://www.lockerbielorrypark.co.uk
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #46 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:06:23 pm »
I'm not a cafe person and only use them if its a checkpoint so I have never been in this one but my club occasionally frequents it.

In between Hessle and Malton section, there is a cafe at Huggate, "Rachels Cafe", just on the left up a little drive as you are about to leave the village, before you go round the left hand bend with a little climb. There is a sign on the roadside, it might be also advisable if you plan on using it, to dismount before going up the drive, its a steep little drive and with not much speed as you turn up it, you could fall off. It only opened I think about 3 years ago after the last LEL

Its very cycling friendly and gets good reviews, it opens at 11:00 and closes at 16:00 and closed on a Wednesday.

As this is on my patch, after Cherry Burton, where there is a "Costcutter" about 100 yards off route to the right down the hill at the cross roads and before the duck pond, opens at 07:00 till 21:00 there is nothing till you get to Norton/Malton, 26 miles, apart from "Rachels Cafe" and also the village pub as well in Huggate which you pass on the right before the cafe and also a pub at North Dalton next to the duckpond. Huggate to Malton is only 14 miles further on.

The shop/cafe  in Thixendale is now closed. But, I think the village hall which is opposite the closed shop still does cake and tea during the day, but now sure what days

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1913623-d15238490-Reviews-Rachel_s_Walnut_Cottage_Tea_Room-Huggate_Driffield_East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_Eng.html

« Reply #47 on: 24 August, 2022, 03:22:53 pm »
As I dropped out a Malton and took it easy on the way back, I had time to stop at two nice cafes. The first one was in Caistor: "The Settlement" on Market Place (a bit off the route), the 2nd in Crowland: "The Old Copper Kettle" on North Street directly on the route (near the Trinity Bridge). They offered an LEL-menu (drink and cake) for 5 GBP.

« Reply #48 on: 24 August, 2022, 06:30:12 pm »
The tiny cafe in St John's Chapel was just lovely and the second time around the home made Jaffa Cake was delicious. Much appreciated and such nice folks there!
Riding either a Brother Allday Singlespeed or a Fairlight Secan or a Fairlight Strael most of the time.