Author Topic: Petworth Start of SummerTime 100 & 200 on Sunday March 27th, 2022 @ 08:30 (BST)  (Read 2486 times)

Further details of these events and entry can be found at:

100: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9049

200: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9048

Entries will be closing on Thursday March 17th, 2022 or sooner if full, and any postal entries received after this date will be returned!

Anton

The links appear to be for the end of summertime events.

The links appear to be for the end of summertime events.

Thanks for the heads - links should now be correct.

Anton

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
These are great rides and i have for far too long been failing to work out a 70k route from home and a 30k ride to a railway station afterwards, which would make a really good ECE to 200k.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Half an hour later and they'd be easily doable by train from London to Pulborough or Haslemere  :'(

For previous riders of the 200 who intend riding please note the following

• Changes made to the route in Liphook on stage 1
  • The change added to last Octobers End of SummerTime ride near Rolls Royce factory entrance will remain

These changes will be incorporated in revised routesheet and GpX track that will be supplied closer to the event date

Anton

All,

Petworth End of SummerTime 100

For previous riders of the 100, and based on the flooding we had back in October with the End of SummerTime 100, I adjusted the end of Stage 3 to avoid the section that is prone to flooding.

There is no change in distance, and these changes have been incorporated in revised routesheet and GpX tracks that will be supplied closer to the event date

Petworth End of SummerTime 200

Based on feedback from one of my regular riders, and following a route check myself, I will be adding a further change to the route between Petworth and Steyning in order to totally avoid the Washington Roundabout and crossing of the A24. It will add 1km to the route but uses nicer roads.

Entries to both my Petworth rides will be closing on March 17th.

Anton

A quick reminder that entries to the above rides will be closing on March 17th 2022.

I will be sending out the final versions of the welcome letter, route sheet and GPX tracks on evening of Friday March 18th 2022.

Anton

Finally entered the 100. Had debated ECE but been invited to the Outlaws for dinner on the way home. Also not done more than 160km since September so maybe for the best?

Finally entered the 100. Had debated ECE but been invited to the Outlaws for dinner on the way home. Also not done more than 160km since September so maybe for the best?

Tommy your entry for the 100 was received

Intend sending out further details to all entrants over the weekend once entry is closed and I’ve finalised everything

Anton

All Petworth Start of SummerTime 200 Riders

I've just sent out the Welcome Letter, Route Sheet and GPX tracks for this ride to your Audax registered email addresses.

If you have not received this email from me and believe you have entered the ride, please get back to me.

Anton

PS those on the 100 will be getting their email Monday after final checking.

All Petworth Start of SummerTime 100 Riders

I've just sent out the Welcome Letter, Route Sheet and GPX tracks for this ride to your Audax registered email addresses.

If you have not received this email from me and believe you have entered the ride, please get back to me.

Anton

Petworth Start of SummerTime 100 & 200
Sunday March 27th 2022

What a difference 5 months makes.  Lasts October's Petworth End of SummerTime was one of the wettest starts to this series of rides, while this year the Petworth Start of SummerTime was certainly chilly at the start, and riders had a northerly wind to contend with, but it turned out to be a warm day. Many riders left leg and arm warmers in the hall to collect at the finish.
The number for the 100 is certainly down on the last few years and is one reason I'm considering whether to continue running these events in 2023.

My Thanks to:
My wife Shirley for the catering, manning the village hall kitchen and generally organising me. The various cakes certainly appreciated by all riders, it's just a pity no Almond Slices left over for me.
Richard Phipps for volunteering to undertake the Brevet card checking and validations of the 100 and 200 riders. Richard also route checked the 100 for me.
Chris Tracey for volunteering to help at the village hall and generally herd cyclists around.
Dave 'El Supremo' Hudson for the serving of hot drinks at the start and in the village hall.

Numbers
27 entered (Average over the years is 55) - 21 Audax, 5 Temps and 1 CTC with 2 cancelling before the ride, 2 DNS on the day with 23* starting on the day and all finished.
* Includes helper rides.
Event Results can be found at
https://audax.uk/results/?evId=22-186&searchId=Event&seasonId=2022

45 (Average over the years is 46) entered including 2 who transferred from last year's COVID19 cancelled Start of SummerTime event - 37 Audax, 7 Temps and 1 CTC with 6 cancelled before the ride, 15 DNS on the day with 24 starting on the day and 3 DNF. 
Since the 200 is a BRM this year, completed Brevet cards will be sent off to the Audax Validation Secretary shortly, and once returned will be sent out to riders.
Event Results can be found at
https://audax.uk/results/?evId=22-343&searchId=Event&seasonId=2022

Feedback
The Petworth End of SummerTime 100 & 200 events are planned for October 30th, 2022, and are open for entries
For the 100 the same route will be used including the change to Stage 3 that avoids the section prone to flooding.
For the 200 again it will be the same route, including the new location for the Stage 1 Liphook info. Owing to the damage done to road signs near the end of Stage 3, I'm considering changes here.
I would welcome any comments / suggestions on how the Petworth rides could be improved should I continue to run them.
Take care

Anton

Karla

• car(e) free
Perhaps move the start half an hour later next time? You live next to a huge city full of people who quite often don't have cars.

Perhaps move the start half an hour later next time? You live next to a huge city full of people who quite often don't have cars.

Over the years I’ve been starting the event later and later owing to the toilets by the starting carpark not being opened at the published times. The change in the clocks being a factor I believe

Starting the 200 any later could lead to a very long day for myself and helpers but delaying the start of the 100 could be considered. I would also consider riders parking in the current carpark (the village hall is too small to be used) and making their way to village hall to collect BC etc

I need to think about it further

Anton

Karla

• car(e) free
Aaah well, still no access for non-drivers then  :'(

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Aaah well, still no access for non-drivers then  :'(

I live near the start of Anton's excellent rides and my experience of the local trains is that they are fairly unreliable on Sundays due to late starts for the first train and also weekend engineering works which are often announced at very short notice.

For this reason I run all my events on Saturdays and also from locations with either a station or very close to one, even so the proportion of riders arriving by train is quite low.

As as has been posted upthread there are many other considerations to running events in addition to the option of train travel to the start, you might like to try organising one yourself  :)

Riders who completed the 200 will be receiving their Auk and ACP stamped Brevetcards in the next couple of days

Anton