Author Topic: LEL 2022 Volunteers  (Read 16319 times)

Re: LEL 2022 Volunteers
« Reply #50 on: 19 February, 2022, 11:22:31 pm »
I'm the controller at St Ives, completing the set of volunteer then rider now controller.

Hey hey, that means IanDG just needs to ride to complete the set ;D

« Reply #51 on: 20 February, 2022, 06:29:00 pm »
I think, based on what I’ve heard in passing, these are some of the controllers.

Loughton - Tim Decker
Hessle - Rachel Thompson (Thirsk last time)
Barnard Castle - Peter Davies (same as last time)
Moffat - Grant (The guy who did the test ride that I read about in a blog)
Innerleithen - I’m guessing at June James (same as last time)

I'm controller at Brampton with Chris Anderson

I'm the controller at Moffat (aka Grant elsewhere)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2022, 09:46:25 am »
I'm the controller at St Ives, completing the set of volunteer then rider now controller.

Hey hey, that means IanDG just needs to ride to complete the set ;D

:o

« Reply #53 on: 21 February, 2022, 10:35:23 pm »

Just found out I’ll be at St Ives :thumbsup:
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #54 on: 23 February, 2022, 07:20:31 pm »
I'm at Brampton.
Reine de la Fauche

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #55 on: 23 February, 2022, 09:36:07 pm »
Do we know who the chief controllers (& cooks  ::-)) are?  I'm sure in 2013 there was a nice list.  Though it's probably not strictly relevant.
(Currently pondering how far I want to ride to/from wherever, going away from E Anglia.)

Clash with 30th Wedding Anniversary.  Scuppers riding it, scuppers volunteering.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #56 on: 04 March, 2022, 01:36:40 pm »
A brilliantly written article on the CUK website  https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/volunteers-needed-london-edinburgh-london - please tweet/Facebook etc

« Reply #57 on: 04 March, 2022, 02:37:07 pm »
A brilliantly written article on the CUK website  https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/volunteers-needed-london-edinburgh-london - please tweet/Facebook etc

Nicely written isn't it ?

You really must congratulate the author (!)

« Reply #58 on: 04 March, 2022, 02:47:46 pm »

Nicely written isn't it ?

You really must congratulate the author (!)

I might let him ride my new bike

« Reply #59 on: 06 March, 2022, 08:17:29 pm »
I think, based on what I’ve heard in passing, these are some of the controllers.

Loughton - Tim Decker

I'm controller at Brampton with Chris Anderson

I'm the controller at Moffat (aka Grant elsewhere)

And looks like I'm going to be the controller at Great Easton now
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #60 on: 10 March, 2022, 09:52:23 pm »
I ran Pocklington last time & as stated am at Hessle this time, Siobhan was at Thirsk last time & is running Malton this time.

Loughton - Tim Decker

I'm controller at Brampton with Chris (I think, but he may be looking after Alston)

I'm looking after Alston, Chris is looking after Brampton

« Reply #61 on: 11 March, 2022, 07:25:54 am »
I've had an email saying that Jim and his family will be running Spalding again. Good news as he's an efficient controller and knows how to keep a happy team.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #62 on: 16 March, 2022, 01:56:23 pm »
Just too much change going on in my life to enter this time, so I'll be doing a spell as a volunteer - can't tell you where as it is incredibly secret  ::-)  Hoping to ride the 24 instead, so something to aim for as the weather starts to get better  :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #63 on: 02 April, 2022, 09:14:06 pm »
Change of plan for me. looks like I'll be helping out at Loughton at the start, going to a rescheduled concert on Sunday night after all the riders have departed, and then heading off to Brampton on the Monday to spend the rest of the week there.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #64 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:41:20 am »
I am volunteering at Brampton from late on Sunday.  Am I correct in thinking the control will close late on Wednesday?  Just trying to arrange a night away post LEL (birthday).

« Reply #65 on: 18 July, 2022, 03:58:51 pm »
Yes, I’m on one of the later rider starts and my Brampton close time is Wed 18:57 south bound. I’d imagine the last rider control close times will be around 20:12

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #66 on: 18 July, 2022, 04:16:48 pm »
2055 is the most recent closing time for Brampton entered on the Controller's spreadsheet which was last updated in June. Allow 15 hours for sleep and clear up and you might be set free...
Your controller will have the most accurate info (I'm at Barnard Castle)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #67 on: 18 July, 2022, 05:27:56 pm »
I am volunteering at Brampton from late on Sunday.  Am I correct in thinking the control will close late on Wednesday?  Just trying to arrange a night away post LEL (birthday).

My experience of volunteering (running catering at Barnard Castle in 2013 and St Ives in 2017) is that I just wanted to rest afterwards, and wouldn't have been life and soul of a party thereafter.  Especially if you have to do a night shift or two.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #68 on: 18 July, 2022, 06:07:22 pm »
Thanks folks, that works well.  Both myself (Dai) and my partner (Kate) are volunteering and I can now book a hotel in the lakes for Thursday night for a quiet meal!  Not volunteered on a big ride before, have ridden a few but this will be a new experience and looking forward to it :thumbsup:

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #69 on: 18 July, 2022, 06:53:50 pm »
I can now book a hotel in the lakes for Thursday night for a quiet meal!   :thumbsup:
You might be falling asleep in the soup.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #70 on: 18 July, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks folks, that works well.  Both myself (Dai) and my partner (Kate) are volunteering and I can now book a hotel in the lakes for Thursday night for a quiet meal!  Not volunteered on a big ride before, have ridden a few but this will be a new experience and looking forward to it :thumbsup:
I’d aimed to volunteer for the experience this time, Dai, but found myself entering. If they were short on volunteers (apparently there are more than in 2017), I’d change my plans.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #71 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:49:32 pm »
Yep,I also entered, but not done anything serious since PBP 19, also had covid and retired, did the Fenland Friends recently, which was ok but felt this was the best year to volunteer.  Hopefully PBP next year and LEL in 25! Hopefully see you in Brampton, or at Guildhall as helping at the London City start as well  O:-)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #72 on: 19 July, 2022, 09:17:24 am »
This is last chance saloon for becoming a LEL volunteer. Fortunately, we have rather good staffing levels overall, but could do with some additional hands in the second part of the event during the workweek (say, August 10-12) in Boston, Louth, Malton and Brampton)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #73 on: 19 July, 2022, 10:13:19 am »
This is last chance saloon for becoming a LEL volunteer. Fortunately, we have rather good staffing levels overall, but could do with some additional hands in the second part of the event during the workweek (say, August 10-12) in Boston, Louth, Malton and Brampton)
very much seconded - I think a lot of the volunteers-accompanying-riders aren't going to be around for the latter part pf the week (esp 11th) as they'll be hot footing it back to the finish to greet 'their' rider.  Meaning those of us that are left at the control will be on duty for long periods at a stretch to fill the gaps.
I certainly won't be doing anything on Thursday night after we've packed up, apart from falling into the nearest hedge and having a long sleep (on the plus side I won't have to race to the Humber bridge before it closes for the night).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #74 on: 19 July, 2022, 03:39:01 pm »
Just filled in the volunteer form. Only entered and completed two LELs, but it’s time I gave something back. It does sound a rewarding, if tiring, experience.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!