General Category > LEL 2022

Getting to Debden - what advice to give to overseas entrants?

<< < (2/8) > >>

psyclist:

--- Quote from: Lightning Phil on 15 February, 2022, 12:30:34 pm ---Stansted they might need a short ride to a station to get a local train.  That’ll drop them into Liverpool Street.

--- End quote ---

Or take the train down as far as Waltham Cross, then Debden is a short ride from there.

Wycombewheeler:
I'm not sure if it is possible to cycle out of Heathrow (central terminals) at all.
Assuming they are arriving at Heathrow with a bike box, I'd really just recommend getting a taxi all the way.
If they are staying in central London before the ride, then Piccadilly line (heathrow express costs a lot more for a half hour time saving), note this would need a boxed bike.
Heathrow express will take full bikes. as will the circle line so this is really the best bet if bike is assembled and bike box left at heathrow.
Cycling between Paddington and Liverpool street is mostly ok on good infra except the first bit from Paddington to marble arch (marble arch, hyde park corner, Trafalgar square, embankment) (marble arch, buckingham palace, tower of London/tower bridge not far off route so good sightseeing)
I would not advise anyone to attempt to cycle from central London to Debden, the roads heading out that way are quite unpleasant, and the off road routes not especially secure for the ingle traveller with an expensive bike

robgul:
Having lived in the vicinity of the start I would recommend the suggestion already made:   

Heathrow Express to Paddington - Circle Line to Liverpool Street - Overground to Chingford - and then just over 7km to ride.   

Right out of the station, Rangers Road, R&L 50 meters to cross A104 to Manor Road, L into High Road through Loughton, R into Rectory Lane, L into Hillyfields which becomes Chester Road and Davenant School is straight ahead. 

Note: bikes aren't allowed on the Circle in rush hours (whatever they may be - ?TFL website)

Wycombewheeler:

--- Quote from: robgul on 15 February, 2022, 03:11:31 pm ---
Note: bikes aren't allowed on the Circle in rush hours (whatever they may be - ?TFL website)

--- End quote ---
not allowed between 07:30 and 09:30, or between 16:00 and 19:00
Most people arriving from across the Atlantic would land early in the morning, so the 07:30 to 09:30 is likely to be relevant.

MikeFromLFE:
Thanks all - I've linked this thread on a couple of FB posts.
I note that Danial has given full details of the minibus service in the FB thread including contact details and prices.
Keep the thoughts coming   :thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version