Author Topic: Avoiding the bulge  (Read 9766 times)

Re: Avoiding the bulge
« Reply #25 on: 06 August, 2022, 07:30:08 pm »
The headwinds forecast are but light breezes you’ll barely notice. Nothing like previous edition headwinds.

« Reply #26 on: 06 August, 2022, 07:38:19 pm »
Indeed. I’m more worried about the heat forecast for the last couple of days

« Reply #27 on: 07 August, 2022, 08:00:16 am »
Yeah heat forecast 32/33C for Thu / Fri returning south.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2022, 03:46:28 pm »
In 2013 an ice cream parked opposite the Gt Easton control on the final full day did so much business that the driver had to go back to wherever he got his supplies from to replenish the van!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2022, 12:20:47 pm »
That was great - every Brit within hearing distance reacted like Pavlov's dog to the sound of the ice cream van's chimes  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2022, 02:02:52 pm »
In 2013 an ice cream parked opposite the Gt Easton control on the final full day did so much business that the driver had to go back to wherever he got his supplies from to replenish the van!

Tomsk had a bucket of cold water and a sponge which he was walking round the bike park with.   I availed myself of this with some enthusiasm.   I recall I had to steal a friends gel as I was wobbly when I got off my bike.   We spent an hour there refuelling before riding the last leg home.

« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2022, 02:32:51 pm »
I rememember a convenience shop in a village called Barrington (I think) that looked as if it had had a run on bottled liquids of varying descriptions, judging by the overflowing bins outside. There had been a long stretch of head-on hairdryer (hot setting) weather, and some unasked-for hills, and my bidons had been drained dry so I was happy to join the queue which had snaked outside. I missed the ice cream and bucket of cold water though.

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:38:16 pm »
There are reports of people setting up impromptu bottle filling stops. All we need is some bloke knocking out free crepes and it will be PBP!

It would be good, especially in the next few days if we could encourage a few people to set up that sort of thing.  I am happy to come out and quality check ice creams

Liam

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #33 on: 09 August, 2022, 02:28:04 am »
Judging on  the number of people sleeping in the corridors, the bulge has hit Brampton.
Just had 4h of zzzzz, having tea then doing the Tour Of Scotland before more sleep.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #34 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:00:47 pm »
Given that I’m informed by a friend volunteer that at 6pm today, ‘only’ 400 riders had passed through Innerleithen, and some of those will still be on the road to Brampton (they are expecting a huge bulge in INL tonight), how can Brampton already be in a bulge? I thought Brampton had one of the largest capacities, 250 beds??

Plus all the DNSs and DNFs

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #35 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:12:22 pm »
There are two Brampton bulges, at least there were in 2017. Monday night and then they all went round the Scottish loop and back again for Tuesday night. But looks like more at Dunfermline and Innerleithen this time

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 09 August, 2022, 09:44:47 pm »
Am at Brampton. It's dead. We're waiting for 1,200 riders arriving in the next few hours.
 :o
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:51:35 pm »
We're expecting Hessle to get mega-busy Weds evening through into Thursday morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #38 on: 10 August, 2022, 10:50:19 am »
That is very helpful info, thanks