Author Topic: wahoo fit files and validation of perm by gps  (Read 941 times)

wahoo fit files and validation of perm by gps
« on: 14 June, 2022, 05:15:17 pm »
Hello,

I've posted this on the AUK forum, but thought I might share here as it might get a quicker response.

my wife has just completed a 200k perm which she entered as a validation by gps.  She used the very commonly used Wahoo elemnt bolt.  When she came to upload her tracklog the relevant page still says that wahoo fit files may not be accepted. I seem to recall that this issue has been fixed some time ago but can't find the reference. Can anyone confirm or  deny whether wahoo .fit files are still a problem?  They have been around for quite some time now. If it is not fixed I guess I can convert to TCX or GPX using GPS babel before upload but I'm not sure if this would affect the file's validity.  I also note that when uploaded to ride with gps it changes the date to a day before and the start (or finish) time is also not BST (or GMT/UTC), which makes using a upload as a gpx or TCX after conversion by ridewithgps a bit uncertain. 

She has receipts as a backup, but of course having entered as validation by gps it's not obvious how she would use these to validate her ride as the system seems set up to be one or the other exclusively.  It's not obvious to me as to why the system doesn't allow the option of submitting receipts as a fallback.

As a general observation ebrevet with receipts as fallback seems to me to be much more straightforward but is far from universal at the mo.  Perms in Wales (this one was in England though) are much easier with ebrevet as very many of the sparsely distributed pubs and shops are now closed or on restricted hours.

Many thanks in anticipation of a response

Neil

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: wahoo fit files and validation of perm by gps
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2022, 05:30:56 pm »
RideWithGPS changing the date suggests there's something set up wrong in the user profile as they use Zulu time internally and the services adjust that to the users configured time zone.
Check by going to https://ridewithgps.com/settings/location also check the settings on the wahoo as that may be where I fixed this exact problem in the past but it's so long ago I can't remember.

AFAIK none of the AUK tools work with FIT let alone FIT2 files or Wahoo's customization, though they seem to barely work with GPX or TCX either...

Notfromrugby

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2022, 07:35:00 pm »
Send the file to the DIY organiser, they will be able to upload it on something like Ridewith GPS and validate it. As long as it doesn't have AAA points, it should be easy

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2022, 08:14:07 pm »
Presumably she uses strava or some other platform for recording rides, where the fit files normally go, from there you can download the gpx file, which they will accept.

The rules say you need to send the original file, but the organisers (in my experience) do not want the fit files, but have had no issues accepted my download from strava files

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2022, 08:19:22 pm »
The organiser for my last DIYs accepted the FIT file, and was happy to also accept multiple files for longer rides (to avoid crashing over 250k or so).

However, I also generated a GPX file that was accepted by the AUK tools. The process was:

This produced a file that I could load on the route checker thing successfully. But it was a faff! Looking at it again the alltrails site also says it can simplify the route, but I've not tried it.

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2022, 09:08:49 pm »
Hello all,

many thanks for all the helpful info.  It was the ridewithgps settings that did it - it seemed to have defaulted to GMT -8.00.  As soon as that was changed the times and date were adjusted correctly and I was able to download a GPX file.

I then needed to reduce the file to 500 points using GPSbabel as it was too big for the AUK site.  Hopefully all ok now, so many thanks for all of your help.   

Neil

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2022, 08:59:42 am »
I then needed to reduce the file to 500 points using GPSbabel as it was too big for the AUK site.  Hopefully all ok now, so many thanks for all of your help.   
Are you zipping the file? I've never had a problem uploading up to a 600 GPX as zipped file.

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2022, 02:23:23 pm »

Are you zipping the file? I've never had a problem uploading up to a 600 GPX as zipped file.

yeah, I could upload zipped but then the tool thingy that I could see didn't like it. When I did it unzipped it showed in the route checker. I don't really know how it all works beyond that :)

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2022, 08:18:09 pm »
If you think it is an AAA ride, and you are after those points, don't downgrade it to 500 points as you'll loose data which could affect the climb. Best to ZIP it; if you've got HR, speed, etc strip that out if too big. A 1000km GPX of just time & position should be small enough to upload zipped through the AUK tracklog system.

I've tried zipping FIT files (course) for events and these actually come out as twice the size of unzipped. But the unzipped version is the same size thereabouts as the zipped GPX.