Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 394408 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1325 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:31:00 pm »
My impressions from the perspective of North East England:

- starting to get over the impact of covid, calendar events still have the same camaraderie, although the full experience (catering, village or church hall base) may not yet available

- local organisers making extra efforts to provide a range of events

- DIY an increasingly easy option with use of gpx and mandatory route, the system through the audax website seems to work well and is easy to use

I have so much catching up to do in terms of covid in the UK. It's been, or at least seems, an entirely different experience here on the west coast. Masks and social distancing etc.

Are calendar events pretty much back to full steam (i.e. they exist in the calendar, if not how I remember them)?

The new website gives me a headache. I'll have to wrap my head around it I suppose.

« Reply #1326 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:50:37 pm »
So basically, Dale, it's got more complicated!  Where you bin, any road?

« Reply #1327 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:53:51 pm »
So basically, Dale, it's got more complicated!  Where you bin, any road?

Vancouver for a couple of years. Audaxing here is weird. They call it randonneurring, for a start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1328 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:00:17 pm »
Say hello to Steven and Carol Hinde for me. I enjoyed staying at their place (and borrowing one of his bikes) for a Vancouver Island 400 a few years ago. A lovely part of the world to ride.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1329 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:10:44 pm »
Say hello to Steven and Carol Hinde for me. I enjoyed staying at their place (and borrowing one of his bikes) for a Vancouver Island 400 a few years ago. A lovely part of the world to ride.
You've done a lot more audaxing around the globe than I have, so that last sentence scares me. I've haaaated it here* in terms of bike riding.

(* here being the lower mainland and Vancouver Island. Not sure what it's like in the interior.)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1330 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:12:18 am »
You've done a lot more audaxing around the globe than I have, so that last sentence scares me. I've haaaated it here* in terms of bike riding.

(* here being the lower mainland and Vancouver Island. Not sure what it's like in the interior.)

Sorry to hear that.  My miniscule experience was that it got rather good if only you traveled two or three dozen miles up north.  Not that that helps those of us who don't drive of course.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1331 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:14:13 am »
I enjoyed the northern section of the 400 from Nanaimo. Fairly quiet roads with lots of trees and some big lakes. Seeing a firebomber flying boat picking up water beside me a couple of times and almost running over a young bear probably coloured my memories. I admit that the southern section was not quite so pretty.

« Reply #1332 on: 31 July, 2021, 02:15:26 am »
I enjoyed the northern section of the 400 from Nanaimo. Fairly quiet roads with lots of trees and some big lakes. Seeing a firebomber flying boat picking up water beside me a couple of times and almost running over a young bear probably coloured my memories. I admit that the southern section was not quite so pretty.

There's some lovely pockets of riding, but in terms of long distance, these are linked up with long stretches of (often busy because there is no other road) highway. Not my idea of fun.

Sorry to hear that.  My miniscule experience was that it got rather good if only you traveled two or three dozen miles up north.  Not that that helps those of us who don't drive of course.

Probably. If I was staying here longer term I'd want to drive 100%.

This was a 400 BC Randonneurs put on recently - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36798706 400km of the Sea to Sky highway. You couldn't pay me to do it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1333 on: 31 July, 2021, 07:20:07 am »
North America tends to build wide shoulders on their roads, which gives some lateral separation between cyclists and motorists. I prefer that situation to having somebody impatiently revving their engine a foot from my rear wheel like in the UK.

I agree that riding brevets on busy highways isn’t much fun (my ideal is one car an hour) but that is the norm in quite a few countries (particularly Asia).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1334 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:01:31 am »
One of the few good things to come out of the pandemic is hastening the rollout of the e-brevet. No more queuing at the Co-op for a receipt!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1335 on: 31 July, 2021, 01:41:40 pm »
One of the few good things to come out of the pandemic is hastening the rollout of the e-brevet. No more queuing at the Co-op for a receipt!

Does it work for a BRM?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1336 on: 31 July, 2021, 02:08:12 pm »
I can’t see any reason why not. Israel has done non-physical BRMs virtually since randonneuring started there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1337 on: 31 July, 2021, 02:15:13 pm »

Does it work for a BRM?

J

I don’t know, but as LWaB says, there’s no obvious reason why it shouldn’t.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1338 on: 18 October, 2021, 01:15:17 pm »
I assume (apart from being a little silly) that DIY GPS MTB Audaxing is perfectly fine to do?

It'd have to be GPS & Mandatory route, but I was thinking it could let me get AUK points for things like https://www.cyclinguk.org/king-alfreds-way

« Reply #1339 on: 18 October, 2021, 01:33:46 pm »
You'd have to go some, I averaged 16-17 moving speed on KAW - wouldn't leave much room for cafe stops!

« Reply #1340 on: 18 October, 2021, 02:20:38 pm »
Yeah, I know - which is why I class it a silly... but... a 14.3kph mins speed surely means a muddy audax on 2.6" tyres should be at least possible

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1341 on: 18 October, 2021, 03:18:09 pm »
Rab wardells whw time for the 154km was 9hrs 15mins

So doable if you're a "fast hoor"

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1342 on: 18 October, 2021, 07:08:35 pm »
I see it as a self disappointment if my DIYs don't include a bit of rough stuff :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1343 on: 12 January, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
It seems like more of a BP-thing for most "normal" riders. But should be encouraged, IMO:

We can't let the RSF have all the fun!

(See tales of derring-do from TINAT).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1344 on: 14 January, 2022, 05:21:26 pm »
Hi everyone. Just joined Audax UK for the year, any advice on how to access the DIY stuff? I'm based in Liverpool so if anyone has any ride recommendations Id love to hear them.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1345 on: 17 January, 2022, 01:15:37 pm »
Welcome, you should receive a website login soon if not already. Then the DIY info here :)

https://audax.uk/about-audax/event-types/do-it-yourself-diy-events/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1346 on: 19 January, 2022, 03:52:17 pm »
You'd have to go some, I averaged 16-17 moving speed on KAW - wouldn't leave much room for cafe stops!

I made 106km in 6 hours, riding from home to avebury off road (along the ridgeway, 47mm tyres in 650 rims, gravel bike), so similar speed, which is under 12 hours moving time for a 200km, leaving 2 hours for stops against the 14 hour time limit for BR

KAW is 350km, so split into two chunks of 175km with 25km on road added means it is challenging but not impossible. But if conditions are too muddy or there are mechanicals then it goes out of the window. Still it wouldn't be audacious if it was certain.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #1347 on: 12 March, 2022, 11:03:52 pm »
I'm sure this must be a F.A.Q., but I can't find the answer.   I'm planning a DIY 400.  Aside from motorway services, is there a list of 24-hour places to find some nosh?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1348 on: 13 March, 2022, 04:02:57 pm »
24 hour garages and McDonald's, search their websites for locations and opening times.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1349 on: 13 March, 2022, 04:05:21 pm »
Google maps is your friend though be aware business details are open to manipulation.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk